Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
There are solutions... Free public charger, charger share with friends, extention cable, etc.

·
Registered
563 Posts
There are solutions, but an EV is a big investment that comes with significant drawbacks compared to ICE. One of its advantages, for those with home charging, is reduced fuel costs which can offset the higher cost of EVs. It can work if you want to make it work but I would not recommend getting an EV without home charging.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
...an EV is a big investment that comes with significant drawbacks compared to ICE....
Permit me to rephrase that for you:
An ICE is a poor investment as it comes with significant drawbacks compared to an EV.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,561 Posts
Hi community,

I am currently trying to understand is living in a residential building is an issue for buying an EV.
If you are also considering buying an EV, please help me in my research by filling in the survey.

Survey: Where do you plan to charge your future EV?

I would appreciate any advice and thoughts.
For sure it is an issue. Massive issue.

So massive, I would not do it.

There are brave folk that do.

"Do ya feel lucky?"

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
It depends entirely on your use case scenario.

Everyone will have a different commuting pattern and different access.

I've managed to make it work by using a combination of public chargers, charging at my parents and work place charging. Mainly the latter two. Haven't used a public charger in a long while, but then my mileage is basically zero at the moment!

Would have a difficult decision to make if I was to take a new job that required a longish commute without reliable access to work chargers though.

·
Evezy referral code: d4113
162 Posts
As DrEskimo above, each user case is too nuanced.

In my case there have been a load of free chargers installed down the valley and I have plenty of free time. I commute up and down the valley so yes plenty of convenient options and most are free at the moment, but someone who lives next door who has a completely different commute and life commitments might find they're in a completely different scenario.
Having done it for 5 months, it appears to me there are other things to consider than just chargers. Namely, do you have the spare time to sit and rapid charge? I would imagine someone with busy life commitments ie family, young kids, their own business etc, might struggle with time even if the chargers are available.
Maybe, it's only going to get easier and better, but it's currently not as easy or straightforward as some wistfully try to make out (because they've managed to make it work).
Just today I had one blocked off by red tape and a fire engine (clearly some 'event' going down locally) and the second was taken for charging by another user, the third was being used for Chademo (so CCS didn't work) so I did 30mins on the type2 charger and then later went back to the second charger which was now free. This was broken up over the course of the day between home and work and wasn't an issue as such, but goes to show that it's time consuming and not always straightforward all the time. Every case will be different based on a number of factors.

NB I should probably point out that I do have a home charger but haven't actually ever used it yet (other than to test that it worked)

Reactions: Kseniia Soroka
1 - 14 of 14 Posts