Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

New (to me) LEAF 30 owner here (with the 6.6kW upgrade) and I'm loving it! Always intended to get a home charger but now I'm not so sure having had the LEAF for a week. There is a free CHAdeMO charger 5 mins drive from my house where I walk my dogs every day so I can easily top up with free electricity every day / every other day as necessary. Compare this with £350 or so for a home box and 15p or so per kW/h. The car is used mainly for local deliveries and I've yet to see the battery get above 6 bars even immediately after a 45 minute charge.

My question is this, is using CHAdeMO almost exclusively a false economy through battery degradation? From what I've read people advise against it due to battery temperatures but I'm in Scotland and the ambient temperature is never too onerous and as I've said the battery doesn't seem to get that hot. Free electricity is just too tempting!

PS It's a 17 reg car with 33k miles on the clock and still showing the full 12 bars. I'm getting 130 miles regularly at the moment from a full charge.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies, all very interesting. I'll try and respond to a few of the points below :

• Re hogging chargers for the final hour from 80% to full on CHAdeMO chargers - I've not noticed this... I have up until now left the car charging till full or nearly full (between 93% and 98%) and this has taken half an hour or so from about 30 to 40% full. I will however in future try and keep to about 80% but this might mean a rethink as to when I charge as I like my dog walks to be a bit longer.
  • Taxis do know about the free chargers and regularly use the Type 2s overnight but there are plenty of charging points near me and so I'm not really concerned about being stuck without a charging option.
  • I do have a granny charger... Is topping up from 80 to 100% using this method less risky to the battery health than a rapid charge then?
  • Yes, I'm in Dundee, lots of free charging options around and my LA seem on top of maintaining the chargers.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That requirement is a very long way indeed from being enforced, sadly...rely on it at your peril.
Dundee very much consider themselves an EV friendly city with many brand spanking new covered multi vehicle charger hubs around the city and think that, even if they might not meet the 48 hour timescale, they would be on top of maintaining chargers. Fingers crossed anyway!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The LEAF30 does seem to charge very quickly right up into the high 90's. I too have done as you have, plugged in at low 30's gone for a macdonalds, returned 30mins later to find its up at 94%.

You say Dundee, which is a city with fantastic charging infrastructure, but didnt the council start charging money last year? I've certainly had to pay at Greenmarket and also at the multi-charger hub on Princes St. Looking on plugshare the Camperdown/Ice Arena one charges money too.
All ChargePlace Scotland chargers are free for the time being, even if they advertise a fee. I generally charge in Monifieth (free anyway) or Broughty Ferry, to the east of the city.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well thats very much a temporary thing then, probably due to the switch over to Swarco?
Very probably.

Dundee have already implemented charging, so you can be sure they'll be back charging money as soon as they can, which means the premise of your entire question is invalid...
If you ignore the fact that my main charger is the free one where I walk my dogs, then yes...

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sure. But even so, whats the likelyhood that it will remain free? The general move scotland wide is to implement charging for charging, and the free chargers are disappearing all over. If i were to guess, the monifeith and broughty ferry units come under Angus rather than Dundee City councils, and thats why they are still free, the hub at Forfar is also free for instance.

I mean, its clearly up to you. You can indeed operate an EV without a home charger, and in Dundee there are plenty of options. It is however naïve to think that your free charger will continue indefinitely. Elsewhere in the country we've seen what happens when theres one or two free chargers in a sea of chargeable units, they end up permanently queued, usually by taxis, and TBH i'm amazed that unit isnt already queued up if its the only free unit around dundee.

Thus the question is wether you install the charger now, and maybe dont use it for a while as your using the free unit, or install it later, when perhaps the grant terms are less favourable, or any special deals with the vehicle seller may have expired. I guess you may also factor in any likely house moves and the like. For me convenience wins out. I plug my car in when i get home, and it charges overnight ready for the next day. I would never want to rely solely on a public charge point.
You raise a good point re the permanence (or otherwise) of government grants being available for home chargers. If I got one now I'd probably just use it and miss out on the free electricity available locally though... 😂

And to answer your question, if everywhere starts charging then I'll look at the economics of a home charger v the cost of public ones. Convenience is an issue for you, not for me, which is why my query was based solely on what damage, if any, CHAdeMO charging did to the battery.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Agree, free charging is just a temporary blip (SWARCO problems) or is being phased out very shortly. Angus council have passed the necessary motions to implement charging, its now just down to implementation.

CPS actually have a massive interest in making sure all ChargePoint owners do implement charging. Thats because they (SWARCO ??? ) will collect a 5p/kWh transaction fee (TBC).

regards
Interesting to know, thanks!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I wouldn't just sit in my car, I'd go for a walk on the beach but I get your point. Why is that foolish? Not everyone has hundreds of pounds to throw at a home car charger merely for convenience. 🤷‍♂️ Seems especially unnecessary as I literally park in that car park almost every day anyway.

PS 70% is a new one, what is wrong with 80%?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
You are not guilty of blocking that Rapid by any chance, whilst you are away walking on the beach. Charger etiquette and all !
Personally I'd take a note of how long I need to charge to reach 80% and return at that time. Easier if just out for a stroll but not so easy if I'm walking the dogs as the length of this varies.

But feel free to call me selfish as well as foolish if you so wish 😉

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.