Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Despite leasing a Leaf I do believe that for the long term benefit of all Chademo will need to be phased out. Having multiple standards is of little benefit to anyone. That said, there has to be sufficient infrastructure left in place for a considerable time to allow relatively easy chademo charging for the lifetime of the cars.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Whenever two "standards" compete there will be a winner and a loser. In this case CCS has won, and just like VHS -v- Betamax it's arguable whether the better solution was the successful one.

Hopefully Chademo will survive long enough to see the existing vehicles through - the vehicle numbers aren't increasing, which is one positive...

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
765 Posts
All those second hand Chademo cars that could have formed the foundation of more affordable EVs being made even less practical by this approach.
A shame, but those Leafs will be dwarfed by the number of CCS cars coming into the second-hand market before too long. And they can still have a happy retirement as local runabouts/ second cars even without Chademo.

·
Registered
VW eGolf
357 Posts
The combined Leaf, env200, imiev/triplets, and the handful of Lexus UX300e sales are about 15% of the UK EV market and rapidly getting diluted further with the flood of CCS cars.

I'd expect existing points to be maintained, and the sites with one or two rapids to be CCS/Chad but the big rollouts of extra capacity in places like motorway services to be CCS only.

I could make a case for a Leaf a year ago because the useless old Ecotricity units were actually pretty reliable for Leaf owners and they all had Chademo as a minimum. Now that Gridserve have replaced them and allocated connectors in line with market share it's not such an appealing prospect.

I'm really hoping Muxsan or someone else can develop a CCS conversion for the Nissans, it'll give them plenty of extra life for people that don't want to relegate them to commuters or runabouts.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm really hoping Muxsan or someone else can develop a CCS conversion for the Nissans, it'll give them plenty of extra life for people that don't want to relegate them to commuters or runabouts.
They are on it:
People (including charger companies) shouldn't look only at % of new cars with Chademo. They should look at total of all EVs with Chademo. Or, as GridServe did, look at charging sessions: from memory, I think they said about one third Chademo, two thirds CCS.

There are an awful lot of Leafs out there. And they, especially the older, smaller batteried ones, need a lot of charging.

Sure, it's understandable that people see Chademo as the Betamax of chargers, at least outside of Japan. That's OK: Betamax came out in 1975; the last new Betamax recorder was sold in 2002; the last new Betamax tape in 2016. I'm predicting a long tail.

Kind regards
- Garry

·
Registered
275 Posts
Rapid Charge Devon now rolling out CCS only in Exeter and presumably the rest of Devon. All those second hand Chademo cars that could have formed the foundation of more affordable EVs being made even less practical by this approach.
From their FAQ:

"Can you charge any type of electric car using these chargers?

You can charge the vast majority of electric cars with the following provisos:
  • For fast charging, all cars (excluding Tesla) can use our chargers by connecting a Type 2 cable into the AC
  • For rapid DC charging, our chargers are fitted with integrated retractable leads. The majority of these will support CCS with a smaller number supporting CHAdeMO*
  • If neither CHAdeMO nor CCS are available to you, you will still be able to charge from the AC by using your own cable
  • The chargers do not support Type 1 cables.
*NB as CHAdeMO is phased out in the coming years, all chargers will eventually move to supporting CCS only."

So, in fact, there is some Chademo support.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hopefully Chademo will survive long enough to see the existing vehicles through - the vehicle numbers aren't increasing, which is one positive...
Um, new Leafs with Chademo are being sold every day. Surely faster than the old ones are dying. Leafs are no longer the number one selling EV, of course -- the Model 3 took that crown a while back -- but still selling well. So, I'm sure the Chademo install base is still going up. Admittedly not as fast as the CCS base, but still...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Um, new Leafs with Chademo are being sold every day. Surely faster than the old ones are dying. Leafs are no longer the number one selling EV, of course -- the Model 3 took that crown a while back -- but still selling well. So, I'm sure the Chademo install base is still going up. Admittedly not as fast as the CCS base, but still...
Ok, there will probably still be some growth in Chademo equipped vehicles overall, but in real terms it's practically standing still compared to CCS, and % is dwindling rapidly. And once the Ariya arrives (2022?) with CCS I would imagine we're going to see very few more Leafs being sold.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ok, there will probably still be some growth in Chademo equipped vehicles overall, but in real terms it's practically standing still compared to CCS, and % is dwindling rapidly. And once the Ariya arrives (2022?) with CCS I would imagine we're going to see very few more Leafs being sold.
The Ariya is a much bigger car than the Leaf, in the SUV style. It isn't a Leaf replacement or direct competitor and will probably sit alongside the Leaf in the range. It's more aimed at the ID.4 & Enyaq. Perhaps even Ioniq 5, EV6, i-Pace, & e-Tron, depending on how premium they make it.

Nissan have also trailed a Juke-sized EV: Nissan to launch new Juke-sized electric car | Auto Express . But this one, like the ICE Juke, is smaller than a Leaf.

The Leaf has huge name recognition in the EV space, and continues to be a big seller for Nissan. So, the real Leaf replacement may well be...another Leaf. Nissan are holding their cards close to their chest, but there is likely to be a Gen 3 Leaf at some point. Almost certainly with CCS outside of Japan. When that eventually happens there probably won't be a big-selling Chademo-equipped vehicle in the UK anymore.

By then of course, V2X will be ready to kick off, and we will witness the Chademo rebirth ;)

Kind regards
- Garry

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Well I am banking on being able to rapid-charge my Leaf until either it, or I, fall* to bits. (The latter probably sooner than the former.)

I am also restricted to what I can have, as the Leaf only just fits down the narrow lane to my house and garage, and virtually every other car I have looked at is wider.

I watched the first 6 minutes of her video then I noticed I was only a third of the way through. I winced every time she pronounced it Cha-day'-mo, and that was virtually every other word.

* Puzzled over the grammar here a bit - should it be fall or falls?

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
765 Posts
* Puzzled over the grammar here a bit - should it be fall or falls?
Mmm. Compound subject-verb agreement!

This page suggests that in an 'or' compound, like you have, the verb should agree with the subject that is closest to it. So your example is correct: 'until either it, or I, fall'. And so is 'until either I, or it, falls'.

But are you a prescriptive linguist or a descriptive one? If the latter then you can do it how you want!

·
Registered
Kia Soul 30Kwh, 2018
258 Posts
As a Soul ( ChadeMo) owner, when I started planning longer journeys requiring multiple rapid charges en-route it quickly became apparent that most of the negative reviews about charging in zapmap etc were for CCS charging attempts.
This left me feeling rather smug, believing I had inadvertently landed on the more reliable standard. I now believe it's probably more of a numbers game and purely because there are more CCS based cars out there, statistically there will be more complaints from that camp..... although, my ChadeMo charging experience is going verrrrry smoothly ( touch wood ) .
Also, and this may have been covered in the video ( apologies haven't watched it) I believe the ChadeMo standard is still being developed in Japan ? Could be wrong, think it was alluded to earlier in the thread.
I believe car manufacturers are obliged to support vehicles for 20 years after last production ( spare parts etc.) Fingers crossed for charge station providers having to do the same 🤞🤞🤞

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,340 Posts
Well I am banking on being able to rapid-charge my Leaf until either it, or I, fall to bits.
Only two things that Grammarly can find fault with. They correct it to read :-

Well, I am banking on being able to rapid-charge my Leaf until either it or I, fall to bits.

Two comma changes.

But I would have changed it to read.

Well, I am banking on being able to rapid-charge my Leaf until either it or I fall to bits.

That scans better for me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts