Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I really don’t need bigger battery, but how about 2nd hand price if I may sell it after 5 year? e-tron 50 range is like 300 km or nearly 200 miles. After 5 years, it may drop to....250 km or 150 miles maybe? By that time, I believe many new EVs can easily drive over 300 miles. Who wants to buy a 2nd hand EV which can only drive 150 miles? Should I consider this factor and buy e-tron 55 with bigger battery now? (No lease option because unfortunately in my country, only cooperate can lease the car, not individual)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I personally wouldn't buy one. Yes I think the residuals are a big liability & in general the e-tron will be replaced by a better more efficient platform....I used leaseloco to find a good 4 year lease deal - 50 Tecknik, only upgrade I made was a metallic Florett silver. The standard black will just show up every little scratch and dent over the 4 years....Some very good deals about... The smaller battery is more than fine for our usage and we have a driveway for overnight charging (Octopus) Audi are installing the PodPoint free of charge - So all considered for me personally a lease made sense.

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
847 Posts
Pretty much what Cooke said. The E-Tron is a great car, but with so many new EVs coming in the next few years, I don't think the residuals are going to be good.

If you can't lease, do you have an option to contract-purchase, with a minimum guaranteed future value?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I test drove it over the weekend. It is by far the nicest EV I have drive, and I say that as a long term S owner who has also had periods of having an X.

I really loved the car. There is a couple of things that put me off - the 50 is just too short range for my usage, and the 55 for me is still a bit short for its price. Its charging really is terrific though, better than anything else in terms of how quickly it charges.

If the 55 was prices as a 50, or if there was a few more ionity chargers about I would be buying straight away. If the range isn't going to be an issue for you then I would give it serious consideration.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm in the PCP camp, similar to the other posts, although I have an e-Golf. It's the only car I have ever bought on PCP simply because 4 years later with technological advancements I wanted the option to hand it back, no issues with potentially owning a worthless/unsaleable car

At the moment, 12 months into ownership, that would be a sad day 😕

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm in the PCP camp, similar to the other posts, although I have an e-Golf. It's the only car I have ever bought on PCP simply because 4 years later with technological advancements I wanted the option to hand it back, no issues with potentially owning a worthless/unsaleable car

At the moment, 12 months into ownership, that would be a sad day 😕

its obviously complete guess work, but I do think residuals will be really strong. In 3 or 4 years time when this car has a really "short range" battery it will make the perfect school run car for all the people driving their lung destroying SUVs and paying £ks in road tax for the privilege.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, not thought of it that way, I personally just feel the tech change will be rapid... no doubt it will still be a great car in 4 years...ive never leased before... so unsure how it will work out....I got stung on a very unreliable/costly LR Disco Sport purchase a few years back, so maybe unconscious bias from me hoping I prefer the lease route... also swayed at how good the monthly was on a 50 technik, I honestly thought I was missing some small print on the price......time will tell where the residuals land, probably a toss of the coin after considering atsoc comments (y)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Someone within the leasing world definitely thinks that the residuals on the E-Tron 50 will be better than any Tesla, IPace or EQC.

I quoted for all of these when I ordered the E-Tron and as the majority of the leasing cost is based on the difference in purchase price and residual value (plus service, insurance etc) the E-Tron was by far the cheapest on a Monthly basis despite being one of the most expensive. For example a M3 LR was £60 a month more despite being £13k cheaper on P11D and the IPace SE was £370 a month more (£5k more P11D)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Someone within the leasing world definitely thinks that the residuals on the E-Tron 50 will be better than any Tesla, IPace or EQC.

I quoted for all of these when I ordered the E-Tron and as the majority of the leasing cost is based on the difference in purchase price and residual value (plus service, insurance etc) the E-Tron was by far the cheapest on a Monthly basis despite being one of the most expensive. For example a M3 LR was £60 a month more despite being £13k cheaper on P11D and the IPace SE was £370 a month more (£5k more P11D)
where from if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
262 Posts
its obviously complete guess work, but I do think residuals will be really strong. In 3 or 4 years time when this car has a really "short range" battery it will make the perfect school run car for all the people driving their lung destroying SUVs and paying £ks in road tax for the privilege.
A glass half full, like it :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
My 3 year lease is arranged as a Salary Sacrifice through Zenith.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My thinking when taking 2 year lease on salary sacrifice was similar to some above. Technology will have changed in 2 years as it does with mobile phones & laptops etc. I was lucky an ordered just before the March 2020 UK budget change which stripped the £3500 grant to zero for cars over £50k and Tusker leasing company advised they had good deals from Audi at £330 per month for 7500 miles p.a so I took the plunge. I'll probably never be able to afford a £60k car (got the 50 Technik with no extras in black) so I'm gonna enjoy the 2 years and then will be in something with more range but not as refined, but also not as heavy. It's a great car, but I wouldn't buy this 1st generation. We're pretty much guinea pigs for the Audi technology and whatever models start to come from this will be down the feedback/data gathered as in 5-10 years time, the 1st gen of e-tron will be left behind by a lot of other manufacturers in the same category, which is a shame and will probably be looked on like a luxury Nissan Leaf.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts