Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello

This has probably been discussed before, so apologies, would appreciate if someone can put me in the right direction.
I am relatively new to EVs, only got the Leaf 24kw 3.3 charger in November, when I also moved to a new house.
I am debating if is worth going to an Economy 7 meter and tariff.
I am currently with Ecotricity on their EV plan (I think is 12.93 p/kW, 31.31 p/day standing charge). I do over 50 miles every day. I only have a month of data since it took a while to change supplier and tariffs. In January I used about 630kW of electricity in total, just under 400kW went in to charging the car. I already schedule the car to charge over night, which works OK for me.
Has anyone got a clever spreadsheet or website that can calculate how much better of I would be on Eco7 (if that would be the case).

Many thanks.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
We are on E7 which on Ecotricity is from memory about 6p so 400x 7p is about £28 month or £336 a year cheaper. So yes it's worth doing if you can charge overnight.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It does depend on the prices charged but I have calculated I am saving over £10 a month on economy 7 by charging at night. My daytime unit charge is about 2p more than the non economy 7 tarriff and I use just over 50% of electricity at night time charges.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Hello
Has anyone got a clever spreadsheet or website that can calculate how much better of I would be on Eco7 (if that would be the case).
I have such a spreadsheet (though 'clever' might be stretching it). Drop me an email (trevor.larkum [at] fuelincluded.com) or PM me yours.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Simply answer: Yes.

I went through a number of energy companies, Ecotricity included, before settling with Octopus for now. Many people also like Bulb for similar reasons.

While there is some regional variation, my electricity tariff is the fixed 12 month "green" one and looks like this:

• Electric
    Super Green Octopus Fixed 12M April 2017 v1

Day rate
    15.20p per kWh
    Night rate
    7.53p per kWh
    Standing charge
    21.00p per day
  • Gas
    Super Green Octopus Fixed 12M April 2017 v1

Unit rate
    3.17p per kWh
    Standing charge
    18.90p per day
I have my EVSE set to turn on/off an hour inside the E7 hours to allow for meter time variation - it will move around over time and the clock on your meter will never be the same as wall time. I also have Solar PV and let that divert into the car when it's high enough spare output. There is a commercial EVSE for that (Zappy?) but my solution is homebrew and more fun than financial :)

Ecotricity, setting aside the 50 "free" charges, is expensive and I found their customer services to be pretty poor when things didn't work.

redacted

·
Registered
39 Posts
My answer to this question would be yes, yes, yes, example, I got ecomomy 7 metre on the 6th December, just after I got my Leaf, I only charge over night at an EC rate of 8.28p KW just had my electric bill, Metre was read on the 21st of Feb, since 6th Dec to the 21st of feb it has cost me £35.60 for overnight charging, I have done nearly 2400 mile in that time, yes I have done the occasion charging whilst out and about, but mostly at home.

My day rate only went up 2p per kw from before I had economy 7

Based on the cost to me for electric against mileage it has cost me about 1.5 p mile

·
Registered
22 Posts
We're just about to go on an 18 month fixed contract for dual fuel with "Outfox the Market". Their day rate for electricity is 9.4p per kWh which would take some beating. All their electricity is said to come from renewables too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
yes agree that is probably unbeatable, ours is with one of the big 5 SSE, I have Sola panels as well so it is a bit more complex to keep moving Tarriffs

·
Registered
39 Posts
Because I receive feed in tarrif, (Make approx. £500 plus a year) So when looking at changing there is more to consider, In saying that I have to be honest I have never really tried to change, so I might be making more of a big deal of it than it actually would be

·
Registered
22 Posts
We also have solar panels and we are with the company that we were with when we had them installed (First Utility) until we switch to Outfox the Market. As I understand it, even though you switch to a different supplier, your Feed-In Tariff (FIT) agreement remains with the original company. The original company remains as your FIT licensee and must continue to pay you your rate. Don't let it stop you changing to get a better deal.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes, our FIT is still paid by our original big 5 provider and we've switched electricity supplier a few times now between various smaller competitive suppliers (originally EDF, then co-op, then OVO, soon Bulb).
We've found EDF to pay our FIT promptly every quarter.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Because I receive feed in tarrif, (Make approx. £500 plus a year) So when looking at changing there is more to consider, In saying that I have to be honest I have never really tried to change, so I might be making more of a big deal of it than it actually would be
Ok, that makes sense if you haven't actually switched.

Switching provider does not affect your feed in tariff, I get my FiT paid by good energy but have switched a few times to various providers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for your advise re the Feed in tariff, Can I also pick your brains re Charging car using free electricity from Sola Panel, I know this will only be of any use in day light without clouds, But would the Sola Panel charge a car for free or little cost, I have 16 panels on, (not all south facing) delivering I think 4KW, only other use of electric in the day time is Fridge and freezer, and occasional use of Kettle, any thoughts or advice

·
Registered
182 Posts
Your solar panels will charge your car for little or no cost provided the sun is shining! - and provided the car or the charger are limited to delivering 3.5 kilowatts. If you have both a car charger and a charging point that will deliver 7 kilowatts you will never get more than half your charging from the panels - you would normally be better with economy 7 electricity.
The problem of charging from the panels is that you never know in advance for certain how much sunshine will be available - whereas economy 7 is reliable.

·
Registered
385 Posts
With our 4KW solar system, we were in the summer making 3.7KW at peak times. The home charge point we have is the 7KW version. So we always plug in Zoe when we can when making 3Kw or more.

True that by charging at 7 kw we are only getting half of Zoes power for free, but theres more. With the feed in tariff its assumed that you are 'giving' 50% of the power generated back to the grid and you are paid accordingly. For me if I am generating 3.7 KW per hour the Feed In tariff gives me about 55p. Add to that the 50% payment to the grid of another 8p that means that I am earning about 63p in that hour.

Now, with my electricity tariff I pay just over 12p per kilowatt

So, the cost to my pocket of charging Zoe at 7KW per hour whilst I am generating 3.7 KW is:

3.7 KW free - generated from Solar
3.3KW at 12p, so approx 40p

BUT in that hour I earned 55p. So I have filled Zoe up for free, at the faster 7KW speed and still have 15p in my pocket!

So for all my April to September charging, it probably costs me a net nothing

True in the depths of winter I often struggle to make 2KW in a day! But so what, 20KW at 12p - £2.40 for 70 miles of motoring. Nothing money so to be honest I dont think having an Economy 7 meter will make financial sense

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for that Mine is a 3.5 charger, For planned journey I will still charge over night on E7, but its worth been aware that on Sunny days I can just plug it into charge if I am home and it will cost me nothing

Happy Daz

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
True that by charging at 7 kw we are only getting half of Zoes power for free, but theres more. With the feed in tariff its assumed that you are 'giving' 50% of the power generated back to the grid and you are paid accordingly. For me if I am generating 3.7 KW per hour the Feed In tariff gives me about 55p. Add to that the 50% payment to the grid of another 8p that means that I am earning about 63p in that hour.
Sounds like good ol' man maths at work there.

Thanks for that Mine is a 3.5 charger, For planned journey I will still charge over night on E7, but its worth been aware that on Sunny days I can just plug it into charge if I am home and it will cost me nothing
Do you have a display that shows the energy you are exporting? If you don't you'll be surprised how much it fluctuates and how often you're exporting less than 2kW. I've seen lots of post about using the granny lead to make use of the spare solar energy as it only charges at 2.2kW which better matches the surplus power.
It depends on how much power is used in the background. If the panels are generating 2.5kW and the background use is 0.5kw then you only have 2kW left to charge the car. Then a few clouds pass over and you're only generating 0.7kW for 10-15 minutes and you pay for high rate electricity. On really sunny days it works well, but you have to watch the weather and unplug when it's not so bright if you are considering the cost and your night rate is a lot cheaper.
If you have stayed with the same electric provider for a while you'll probably save quite a bit by switching, and the solar panels don't come into that at all. My panels are registered with British Gas as my provider at the time of the install didn't deal with the feed in tariff. I change every time my deal comes to an end and the solar PV has never been mentioned.

And to @MihaiA if you are using nearly 70% at night you don't need a clever spreedsheet, it will be worth going to E7. And Ecotricity are expensive unless you use their charges away from home regularly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a metre that registers the reading we then give to the feed in tariff team, to get paid, but not clever enough to know how that works out in terms of how many Kw I am exporting on a sunny day my meter can go up 20 to 25 digits, but on a cloudy day luck if it goes 1 digits, and in the winter it is normally only a few digits a day, I have had the Panel's in for 4 years , and my metre is reading just under 13,000, usually make £500 to £600 pound a year, If I use it to charge the car is this going to go down?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts