Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The day I picked up my GTE I brimmed it with unleaded.
The readout quoted 390 miles fuel / 30 miles battery.
Today I brimmed it again but the fuel range has increased to 450 miles.
Is the fuel gauge a guess-o-meter too?

F32ACAB5-C1F5-4459-A23C-949846B55532.png 543E4777-4F29-4A6F-9A98-53F2126C23E8.png

·
Registered
Blue Etron 2019, 2014 Nissan Leaf
170 Posts
Yes.

Reactions: GTEowner and Todor

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,058 Posts
How else would you do it? Range-O-meters are based entirely on recent journey average consumption, works exactly the same way whether liquid fuel or battery storage. Just how accurate they are various by manufacturer.

Even the most accurate will be thrown if you end up driving into a strong headwind and you’ll see the range tumble ominously.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
ICE GOMs are useless too. More useless than EV ones IME.

Reactions: DomJ and AdamLC

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,536 Posts
Of course. Both use a mix of consumption in the
ICE GOMs are useless too. More useless than EV ones IME.
I agree, but there is a difference if your range is either 100miles or 400miles. An error of 50 miles, in the first case will make it impossible to make a 50mile journey, while the other case is simply the reserve in the tank...

That is why GOM is so important in a low range vehicle and inaccuracies have a much bigger impact.

Reactions: TJEV

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Fuel range uses a model of consumption.
It also is pessimistic - when you have 50 miles left you have closer to 100 miles.

This is the opposite of most EVs.

Also, if you fill the tank to 7/8ths, the car assumes the tank is full, and calibrates at that. It will adjust later on, but it can leave you in a bind if you weren't expecting to stop. I recommend filling car to full and not partially filling it to maintain accuracy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
How can any range indication possibly be anything other than an estimate (or 'guess') when there are so many unknown variables regarding how, where and in what conditions the car will be driven?! I

It's akin to predicting the future.
the same with a GPS, it gives an hour of arrival but is also guessing ... never know how fast you drive or how long you will be in a traffic jam

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
the same with a GPS, it gives an hour of arrival but is also guessing ... never know how fast you drive or how long you will be in a traffic jam
Increasingly accurate with services like Google Maps, which use the speed of traffic in front of you and the route. If you start driving faster than expected it adjusts its estimate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts