Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a test drive in a "Gravity Gold" Ioniq 5 today. At least the salesman assured me 100% that it was Gravity Gold. Both my wife (who's an expert on colours) and myself told him quite firmly that the car was actually silver grey with not the slightest hint of gold. The Ioniq 5 configuator on the Hyundai website offers a choice of 9 colours. Three greys, gravity gold, blue, two greens, black and white. On the configurator the two greens and the blue all look a little grey to me and the Gravity gold is definitely grey. So you can have either black, white or a shade of grey with maybe a hint of blue or green. What a woeful choice of colours. Come on Hyundai let's have some nice bright proper golds or reds please.

On the other hand the car is a delight to drive. Nice light steering, a lovely comfortable ride and quiet. I had a drive in a Tesla Model 3 last week and the ride in this car is much more comfortable than the firm sporty ride of the Tesla. The higher driving position is also much more to my liking. A brilliant car spoiled by woeful colour options. Maybe a Kia EV6 in Runway Red could by next on my agenda.

·
Registered
385 Posts
As I suspected. It seems a grayish washed out blue to me. Are the wheel arches actually a grey plastic?
No idea mate - I just found some images for you. Paintwork looks blue to me though!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,656 Posts
The same quality material as the majority of the body work, finished with paint and lacquer.

This isn't a 4x4, it isn't going to be flailed with mud.
Sounds more expensive to repair when the mummies scrape it on the school run.

Aren't they designed to be sacrificial?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Sounds more expensive to repair when the mummies scrape it on the school run.

Aren't they designed to be sacrificial?
When they were black unpainted plastic on a Ford Ka or city car, yes. When they're painted and on a £40k, no, not really. It's just a CUV design trend.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,656 Posts
When they were black unpainted plastic on a Ford Ka or city car, yes. When they're painted and on a £40k, no, not really. It's just a CUV design trend.
Shall I return my new Defender? It also seems to have those cheap unpainted wheel arch trims...

·
Registered
798 Posts
I think they are giving people want they want, and most people seem to want grey, black or silver these days, so most of the colours fit.

I don't mind the "green" though. Even though it's not really green. It's brown.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had a drive in a Tesla Model 3 last week and the ride in this car is much more comfortable than the firm sporty ride of the Tesla. The higher driving position is also much more to my liking.
Funny, I preferred the Model 3 for exactly the same reasons - better driving position and ride.

Both have crap colours though. British Racing Green please.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
There seems to be a new vogue for matte finishes too, which present a problem in themselves. Plastic wheel arches aren't a problem if they coordinate nicely with the body colour, some manufacturers seem to like them to clash and stand out.
The 5 is a wide car, not suited to supermarket or public car parks, and those plastics might come in very useful!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,656 Posts
The 5 is a wide car, not suited to supermarket or public car parks, and those plastics might come in very useful!
The theory is certainly a good one, and it's good to have these plastics in the hard wear areas such as door openings and the boot area.

But in accidents I've seen, the whole trim gets ripped off damaging the panel beneath. So not sure if it works out cheaper when you swipe a wall or something.

Looking for someone to test this...

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think the colours are disapointing - especially as the first Ioniq had a lovely blue, and orangey red and golden yellow options as well as the tedious white, silver and black.

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona 2021 64kWh Premium
49 Posts
The theory is certainly a good one, and it's good to have these plastics in the hard wear areas such as door openings and the boot area.

But in accidents I've seen, the whole trim gets ripped off damaging the panel beneath. So not sure if it works out cheaper when you swipe a wall or something.

Looking for someone to test this...
Mine was tested without any trims if that helps lol. My current car (330e) someone cut the corner to soon and swiped from my wheel arch along the side of the front bumper. Mine hasn’t got any plastic trim pieces it’s just bumper all the way to the arch, and all it needed was repainting. Insurance sent a chap out with a tent to do it on the driveway.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
They are just going for the cyberpunk asthetic. I imagine the N variant will be available in neon pink.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts