Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought a 3-pin Ohme cable maybe two weeks ago when we bought our second EV, and since we are Octopus customers we got it for the £199 discount. However, it turns out we are now getting a full home chargepoint installed and so the Ohme granny cable is not needed... (We already had a longer granny cable just in case, but originally planned to keep granny charging both cars, which we have since decided is a bad idea.)

Is it legal to sell the cable on for the same price we paid (i.e. the discounted price of £199)? Or would we get in trouble with Ohme?

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Is it legal to sell the cable on for the same price we paid (i.e. the discounted price of £199)? Or would we get in trouble with Ohme?
Only way to know is to check the terms of sale for the cable. If you own it, you can do what you like with it. If they own it and you're "leasing/licensing/borrowing" it, then you may end up in a sticky situation.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only way to know is to check the terms of sale for the cable. If you own it, you can do what you like with it. If they own it and you're "leasing/licensing/borrowing" it, then you may end up in a sticky situation.
Thank you for pointing that out - I read the terms and conditions after reading your post because I was curious, and I saw that I have a legal right to return the cable within 14 days (of delivery) for any reason. As it arrived 13 days ago, I can just return it for a full refund. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's your cable, you can do with it what you like. You're able to sell it to someone for 50p if you wanted.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thank you for pointing that out - I read the terms and conditions after reading your post because I was curious, and I saw that I have a legal right to return the cable within 14 days (of delivery) for any reason. As it arrived 13 days ago, I can just return it for a full refund. :)
Can you not exchange the Ohme cable for a type 2 from Ohme and use it with your new charger..

·
Registered
808 Posts
I don't really see the point of the 3pin version as restricts future usage. I seem to recall someone else buying one last year and then trying to sell it on the forum. The Commando version can can be downrated, then then could connect into a commando socket -> 3pin plug/16amp pigtail adaptor. I think @donald had his downrated to use on a circuit with 16A capacity. Allowing the user to set the current (in 1A increments) has been something I voted for on their request for improvements page.

I think some have hardwired the commando OHME into a junction box, although I don't really see why as the whole point of the commando plug means it can be moved at will.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan leaf
142 Posts
I purchased the commando one last year and had it for over a month but didn't use it. Ohme were great as I was able to return it for a full refund

·
Registered
245 Posts
I don't really see the point of the 3pin version as restricts future usage. I seem to recall someone else buying one last year and then trying to sell it on the forum. The Commando version can can be downrated, then then could connect into a commando socket -> 3pin plug/16amp pigtail adaptor. I think @donald had his downrated to use on a circuit with 16A capacity. Allowing the user to set the current (in 1A increments) has been something I voted for on their request for improvements page.

I think some have hardwired the commando OHME into a junction box, although I don't really see why as the whole point of the commando plug means it can be moved at will.
Some E/V users have them hard wired as the everyday charger, and I think you qualify for the grant if its installed properly.

·
Registered
59 Posts
ironically as they are £400 retail, you could probably sell it for more than £199! there are a number of people who will have used up their Octopus allocation would would like another cable but don't want to pay the full price.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
My Ohme should come back from repair tomorrow, fantastic service. I think mine is set to 20A.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ironically as they are £400 retail, you could probably sell it for more than £199! there are a number of people who will have used up their Octopus allocation would would like another cable but don't want to pay the full price.
Fortunately since I was in the 14-day return window I just sent it back for a refund.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
My Ohme should come back from repair tomorrow, fantastic service. I think mine is set to 20A.
Why ?

Whatever arbitrary limit that Ohme might apply, your car will never accept more than its own batter management system 'thinks' it needs. No reason therefore to cripple your charger and hence prevent its use by visitors or your next car.

Reactions: Scrooge

·
Registered
75 Posts
Why ?

Whatever arbitrary limit that Ohme might apply, your car will never accept more than its own batter management system 'thinks' it needs. No reason therefore to cripple your charger and hence prevent its use by visitors or your next car.
Because you would die when your house burned down when you plugged your 32 amp Ohme into a car demanding a 32 amp supply but your Ohme charger was connected to a 3 pin socket via a commando to 3 pin adapter.

·
Registered
75 Posts
wouldn't it just blow the 13amp fuse in the 3 pin plug?
You hope.

But trusting to a fuse that you and your family won’t burn to death would be a pretty stupid thing to do, rather than take the alternative of getting Ohme to reduce the output (which takes a simple phone call or email).

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Why ?

Sadly, that's all my cabling can safely supply.

Yeah, the current car is only 3.6 but looking for Leaf 30 with a 6.6 charger. I know the 20A Ohme will be of limited benefit over 16A but the benefit is more for public charging when out and about.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts