Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2020 Zoe ZE50 135 GT Line
904 Posts
As I said, I have not had a problem. It is evcables that are explicit and insistent that their IP54 cable should not be used in the rain. Take a look at their web site.
Good way of selling your product, might as well go somewhere else. If they’re saying they can’t be used in rain it must be crappy.

· Registered
904 Posts
Cables have to be specified for all sorts of duty and environments. So the degradation to worry about would be UV ageing of cable insulation polymers (unlikely concern in the UK); mechanical abrasive damage to the cable insulation (doesn't sound like your scenario) and connection/disconnection cycles specification of the plug (again not exactly what you describe). I would the cable manufacturer to have modeled a worst case user using the cable every day (eg a commuter) and possibly in a much hotter climate (eg California). Personally, I wouldn't be changing my cable for a long time. For end of useful life, I'd expect to see visible ageing of the cable insulation and/or to feel unusual warmth at the cable plug, indicative of connector wear.
I’d be interested to know where the mentioned 3.5 years came from 🤷🏽

· Registered
904 Posts
@Dion Rust

3.5 years is how long my tethered cable lasted before the CP wire broke 1/3rd way along within the cable structure. Cable had only had careful light use and outward appearance is like new. Not exposed to any extreme conditions. This appears to be a weakness of the cable design? The warranty on replacement cables is 1 or 2 years. I saw someone report their cable suffered a CP failure after just 1 year.
Maybe the cable was defective, it’s definitely a possibility. Just from using them for general charging use I would expect one to last much longer, and as mentioned the only time you might experience problems is after accidental damage (running over etc).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts