Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it (a) possible and (b) ethical to disconnect a car that is >80% charge at a rapid?

Scenario:
- 7pm, arrive at IKEA charger on 3% charge, to find another leaf just pulling in and connecting
- Approach driver and ask 'if I come back in 20 mins can I use this charger?'
- They reply 'well we are having dinner so it will be 40 mins, dont worry we not shopping...'
- I then come back in 40 mins, but they have not returned and their car is on 88% charge
- I sit and wait, debating the points a/b above.
- When car hits 90% charge, charging ends by itself, so I connect to my car.
- I then return to my car 30 mins later, at the same time the other leaf driver returns having actually tried to charge for about 80mins.

In my opinion this other driver was really taking the P, hogging the charger this late in the evening and not keeping word to return, but I kept it to myself as it was two ladies with kids.

Anyway, if I had tried to disconnect their car at 80% would it let me? And would I be eligible for an ear bashing if I was caught doing so?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've disconnected another car once the charger has stopped itself at an Ikea in Leeds, I don't see any problem with it as long as you're careful and respectful with the other car. I would hope someone would do the same if they needed a charge and I was in Ikea. It's too big of a place to get around in 30 mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
You can not disconnect the DC CHAdeMO plug whist charging as it is automatically locked and unlocked by the charger. If it has stopped then IMO you have every right to carefully unplug from their car to start your session. The majority of these unit's with the DC are on a timer ranging from 40 to 60 minutes or charge percentage and these are set at the site owners discretion, some even allow you to change the percentage to 90-95%. The 30 minutes charge duration to 80% was initially a Nissan marketing strategy and it's not a rule that you are only allowed 30 minutes charge time at a rapid. I'm afraid it's frustrating but we must live with it.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Ecotricity clearly stated it in their 'how to use a charger' videos - it's perfectly acceptable to unplug somebody where the charge has finished. If the charge is ongoing you physically can't disconnect the plug, but if the charger has moved on to the screen where it gives instructions for removing the plug then you can remove it from the other vehicle and start your charge.
Source:
and go to 3:03

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK well that answers the question - it is not possible to disconnect them while it is charging.

(my question was whether it is ok to disconnect another car while still it is charging but at >80% charge)

Interesting that the rapid has limits set locally per device, I think this one was set to stop at 90% or 40 mins.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This all proves that there are now not enough chargers to go round. I regularly have to queue to use chargers on my regular drive from Norwich to London.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Interesting that the rapid has limits set locally per device, I think this one was set to stop at 90% or 40 mins.
This is my local IKEA charger from 2013 showing that you can change from Standard and set it to 95% via the options button.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK this is helpful. I didn't realise any user could set those Options...I have seen the button but always been so anxious to charge that I never looked into it.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
If I rock up at a rapid and the other car is hooked up but not charging, and the owner is nowhere to be seen... they're getting unplugged.

If they don't like it, tuff sh*t. They should have stayed with their vehicle or returned within a reasonable ( >10 minutes) amount of time.

I'd expect the same if I was away from my Leaf. But the only thing that would have me away from my car for more than 10 minutes at a rapid would be a queue or a number 2 with complications.

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
That's what happened to me - I didn't check and the next person had closed the plug flap but not the main one - just kind of pushed it nearly closed. No biggie - the car told me as soon as I set off :)

·
Registered
516 Posts
That's what happened to me - I didn't check and the next person had closed the plug flap but not the main one - just kind of pushed it nearly closed. No biggie - the car told me as soon as I set off :)
That's good to know about the alert. I fear one day my aerodynamics may suffer if I leave it open by accident.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts