Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post… I'm an EV owner (Hyundai Kona) as of last week. We are (hopefully) about to move house, and the new house has a dedicated parking space behind the back garden. Is it possible to have a 'standalone' charging point at the bottom of the garden (and make a little door in the fence to pass the cable through)?

If so:

- Are there home charger companies that are considered to be better/cheaper at unusual installations?

If not:

- Are there significant downsides to running a cable the length of the garden from a normal wall charger? (I see from this thread that long cables are available.)

- Any general recommendations for companies to choose/avoid for a normal wall charger?

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere – I had a look through existing threads and couldn't find anything. Had a look at the company recommended by Hyundai (Pod Point), but their site just says to place an order and then they will discuss non-standard requirements.

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
981 Posts
Pod Point have pedestal stands for their Solo units so it can be freestanding. They can install it wherever you want as long as you're happy to pay extra for anything beyond the (10m I think) basic wiring allowance as long as the end result is safe.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Is it possible to have a 'standalone' charging point at the bottom of the garden (and make a little door in the fence to pass the cable through)?
For a long run it's generally better to have the charge point close to the car so it keeps the relatively thin flexible cable short. The fixed cable can then be as substantial as necessary to minimise losses.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
As above - PodPoint standard installation is 15m of cable but when they installed ours I provided and ran the cable and they terminated both ends. You will need to ensure that the cable you use and how its installed meets their understanding of the regulations - for example clipping cable to a wooden fence may not be allowed and instead they may require you to bury it to a suitable standard.
If you put an order into PodPoint they ask for drawing and photographs and then provide you with a more meaningful quote, which if you don't accept they refund your deposit. So once you are certain about the purchase going through kick the process off with them and get a more meaningful quote than us guessing sight unseen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts