Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read on other forums that Renault is following the same route as Nissan did with the Leaf and now allowing the battery to be converted from lease to owned.
Can’t see anything other than info saying this is happening in France and Spain at present, so does anyone know one here if this is true and if it’s going or is happening in the UK?
Did a test drive of a Zoe this more and Renault sales guy was not aware, but then not surprised if this is indeed the case if Renault only just started to allow this to happen.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,951 Posts
Renault have absolutely not show to be moving to the Nissan route for buying out hire batteries. This is a fallacy circulated by the uniformed who read what Nissan did and put 2 + 2 together and made up their own answer of 5 or more.

The fact is while RCI are making a profit from Zoe owners they will never stop.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,545 Posts
Well, there is an active buyout program in Germany right now, but the prices they were asking were pretty ridiculous. I think they are testing the waters, but I doubt many are biting.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,951 Posts
Well, there is an active buyout program in Germany right now, but the prices they were asking were pretty ridiculous. I think they are testing the waters, but I doubt many are biting.
Much like the much touted battery upgrade it will be dropped before UK gets inclusion. And soon we'll be out on our ear with Brexit so battery hire will probably increase due to the £ being worth less than a fart in the wind.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,545 Posts
I can only concur to that. Even if we forget about the youknowwhat (hah, as if), the price point makes it unattractive, so not many biters, so "see? Nobody wants it!", so end-of-program. A bit tin foil hat I admit.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thought as much and finally got onto Renault chat line and confirmed as follows...
George Wright: So just to summarise, you would like to find out whether or not you can buyout the battery for the ZOE (VK68BTY) ?Me: YesGeorge Wright: Unfortunately the battery is on LEASE and can not be bought, this is not something we are able to do! I do apologise as I know this wasn't the answer you were hoping for!Me: Ok, guess it hasn’t happened in the uk yet. Do you know if and when this will happen in the uk?George Wright: If the battery is leased, unfortunately you can never buy it and we currently do not have any plans of being able to here in the UK!

Reactions: yoh-there and Mo1

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,594 Posts
Only way the lease is bought out is if the entire car is written off in an accident. Then it can be bought out.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,310 Posts
This is what happens when vehicle manufacturers pay too much attention to focus groups that give them the answers they had expected to hear.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,951 Posts
Only way the lease is bought out is if the entire car is written off in an accident. Then it can be bought out.
Not true, the pack is generally recovered to Renault (at the insurance companies cost) or written off as a total loss and should be destroyed. In cases where the the car is written off, the pack not removed and the car later repaired is a grey area. The pack is technically a total loss but it doesn't necessarily mean the cars new owner owns the pack. There has been at least a couple of cases where the pack has been disabled remotely by Renault. Quite within their rights I guess as the pack should be returned or recycled responsibly, or you renew a lease on it.

Reactions: srichards

·
Premium Member
11,412 Posts
My understanding is that if a Zoe battery is a write off in an accident, Renault won't allow it to be used in another Zoe for safety reasons. It can be sold for stationary storage, parts, etc.

·
pirpy
5 Posts
I have read on other forums that Renault is following the same route as Nissan did with the Leaf and now allowing the battery to be converted from lease to owned.
Can’t see anything other than info saying this is happening in France and Spain at present, so does anyone know one here if this is true and if it’s going or is happening in the UK?
Did a test drive of a Zoe this more and Renault sales guy was not aware, but then not surprised if this is indeed the case if Renault only just started to allow this to happen.
I just purchase my lessed battery for 6300 €, I have 12/2015 ZOE R240 and 12/2017 ze 40 battery.
Where can I get the "i" sticker :)

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I just purchase my lessed battery for 6300 €, I have 12/2015 ZOE R240 and 12/2017 ze 40 battery.
In which country?

·
Registered
229 Posts
My understanding is that if a Zoe battery is a write off in an accident, Renault won't allow it to be used in another Zoe for safety reasons. It can be sold for stationary storage, parts, etc.
See the "cheap cat d zoe" thread.
Your understanding is wrong.

·
Play by the king and love is all I bring
1,742 Posts
You can have my “i” sticker. It’s basically a signal to thieves in the know that this car will not be at risk of remote immobilisation by RCI.

·
Premium Member
11,412 Posts
See the "cheap cat d zoe" thread.
Your understanding is wrong.
As per title that is Cat D so NOT total loss and can be repaired.

·
Premium Member
11,412 Posts
Error

·
Registered
22 Posts
For me it's better to lease the battery than to buy. In the first year, I drove exact 50.500 km with my brand new Zoe Q90.
95% of my charging sessions are with 43 kW. So I really don't care about battery health. If I own the battery I won't do that. And if I get stock without load, I just need a call and they will pick me up. I tried that already and it works just great

1 - 20 of 20 Posts