Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that since 2020, the e-Niro was shipping with a 3-phase charger able to charge up to 11kW. However, today I charged the car for the first time in a 22kW public charging point, and noticed it was charging at 6.8kW max.

I inspected by charger, and the bottom two holes are missing the pin, so I assume it's not a 3-phase charger. Can it be changed for an on-board charger supporting 11kW (ideally 22kW) ?

Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
The VERSION 4 Eniro 2020 UK, is single phase 7.2kW OBC.
The VERSION 4+ Eniro 2021 UK is 3phase 11 kW OBC.

It is extremely unlikely to be realistically interchangeable IMHO. Even if it was possible, it is virtually zero chance of a dealership taking on the job Plus it would be eye wateringly expensive!

So the shorter answer is NO.
Peter

Registered
just to be clear, the charger is in the car.... the cable that plugs into the car supplies voltage and has some smarts "behind" it to identify the power source and if it should supply power.

So if the car is capable, you just get a different cable with the minimal electronics...

So, you said "I inspected by charger".... did you mean the car was missing the pins, or your plug is missing the pins?

evezy referral code d6540
Presumably you don鈥檛 have a 3-phase supply at home so would only benefit from your Niro having this capability when you use public chargers. If this is the case, wouldn鈥檛 it be better just to charge on DC with CCS which would be a lot faster than 11kW AC anyway?

Registered
Presumably you don鈥檛 have a 3-phase supply at home so would only benefit from your Niro having this capability when you use public chargers. If this is the case, wouldn鈥檛 it be better just to charge on DC with CCS which would be a lot faster than 11kW AC anyway?
Certainly, around here there are loads of 22kWh chargers and they are half the price of a rapid so could be a good shout depending on your driving patterns.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, you said "I inspected by charger".... did you mean the car was missing the pins, or your plug is missing the pins?
the car.

I have a lot of 22kW free public chargers around. At home I have a standard wallbox which I can use to charge at 4kW. My tariff provides 5.5kW max, I configured the wallbox to provide 4kW just in case I need something else. Actually, I haven't used the wallbox yet, just to test that it was working, as I said, there are many free chargers around.

evezy referral code d6540
the car.

I have a lot of 22kW free public chargers around. At home I have a standard wallbox which I can use to charge at 4kW. My tariff provides 5.5kW max, I configured the wallbox to provide 4kW just in case I need something else. Actually, I haven't used the wallbox yet, just to test that it was working, as I said, there are many free chargers around.
The Renault Zoe is about the only EV that can charge at 22kW. The difference between 7kW and 11kW wouldn鈥檛 really justify upgrading your Niro from single to 3-phase OBC. If those chargers are still around when you next change your vehicle, you could specify an 11kW OBC then.

Super Moderator
I thought that since 2020, the e-Niro was shipping with a 3-phase charger able to charge up to 11kW. However, today I charged the car for the first time in a 22kW public charging point, and noticed it was charging at 6.8kW max.

I inspected by charger, and the bottom two holes are missing the pin, so I assume it's not a 3-phase charger. Can it be changed for an on-board charger supporting 11kW (ideally 22kW) ?
You can change the charger by trading in your current car for a 4+ which already has the 3 phase charger.

Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
Certainly, around here there are loads of 22kWh chargers and they are half the price of a rapid so could be a good shout depending on your driving patterns.
That's a lot of rapid charging to break even on the likely cost of changing the OBC, even it is was possible.

Registered
That's a lot of rapid charging to break even on the likely cost of changing the OBC, even it is was possible.
Yeah, if the car already came with 11kW charging it would be a great bonus, cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts