Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying a Hyundai Kona and I believe that the installed satnav can find chargers. However, is it possible to install and use Zap-map instead?
Thanks, Cyberdame?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I'm thinking of buying a Hyundai Kona and I believe that the installed satnav can find chargers. However, is it possible to install and use Zap-map instead?
Thanks, Cyberdame?
The infotainment can find chargers via its live data mode, which needs a wifi connection to your phone or a hotspot, but I don't think the data is particularly up to date

·
Registered
369 Posts
The infotainment can find chargers via its live data mode, which needs a wifi connection to your phone or a hotspot, but I don't think the data is particularly up to date
If it's the same as the Ioniq, it would have let me drive past Instavolt and Engenie chargers which I knew were there. I put contactless chargers into my favourites in the satnav when I plan a road trip, that way I can navigate straight to them.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have just used the "contact us" link in Zap-Map and at A Better Route Planner forum to enquire if they had any plans to integrate both apps into Android Auto and Apple Car Play. Pass it on and contact them. Together we may be able to influence them.

Alan.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Interesting, my MY 2020 Kona seems to like notifying me about nearby charging stations without the need for a WiFi connection or a hotspot, so this is presumably through the SIM card that comes with Bluelink. It gives me the same information as Zap Map does i.e. what type of chargers and whether or not they are currently available. I have no idea whether or not this information is reliably up to date (I haven't tested it yet) but the system is often telling me that it is downloading data updates so I suspect it might be . So no Zap Map required.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
You can use Zap Map on your phone and trigger routing through Google Maps, then connect the phone to the car and Android Auto will pick up the route for you. Probably best to stop while you do that bit though ;) .

Reactions: Billyboy and arao99

·
Registered
369 Posts
Good news people. Just had a reply from Zap-Map support:

"Hello Alan,

Thanks for getting in touch with Zap-Map!

Integration with Android Auto and Apple Car Play is on our road map and is something that we are working towards.

If you haven't already, sign up to our newsletter to be notified about the latest developments with Zap-Map: Newsletter - Weekly electric car and charging point updates it will contain information on our latest releases plus any bug fixes and new features.

Best regards,

Liam Taaffe"

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Hmm, that newsletter sign-up page doesn't work - I select the options I want, click Subscribe, and all it does is clear the fields again :rolleyes:
Great news that it's planned though!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hmm, that newsletter sign-up page doesn't work - I select the options I want, click Subscribe, and all it does is clear the fields again :rolleyes:
That's weird. I signed up no problem. It sent me an email to confirm the subscription and that was that.
If I get the update about integration with Android auto and Apple Car Play, I'll post it here.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Correction, it did then send me a confirmation email, but all the web page appeared to do was reload itself - just a rubbishly-design web page then. I so often see that with online forms - they put the confirmation somewhere where you can't find it, or just reload the page afterwards.

Reactions: Gadget Geek

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
77 Posts
The form doesn't work with every browser, obviously webpage design very low in their still set. Copy and paste the form into various other browsers until you get a working form. Microsoft Edge worked for me. You immediately get an email reply when you have succeeded.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts