Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and if so is there a specific model i need to get.

Hi
I am just in the process of starting to seriously consider an EV. i have wanted one for ages but it is only now that vehicles with the stats i want are compatible with the costs i can pay.
We have an octapus Go Faster tariff and just had solar with battery installed.

I would like to only charge the car on my cheap evening tariff from 8:30-1:30 (unless i over ride it)

but at the same time , on my home solar, i would like to charge my home battery and then dump excess energy into the car before finally selling back to the grid as the last option....... So the car needs to have the potential to charge from solar at any point during the day after my home battery is full BUT also fully charge from the grid when i have cheap energy.

is there a charging system which offers such flexibility or will i just have to make do with charging from the grid off peak?

thanks

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Best bet would be the MyEnergi Zappi charge point. This can charge the car at the cheap rate times (set on the app), detect solar generation and use that to charge the car, and can probably be set up with a second CT to perhaps use home battery power (caveat - I've not set one up like this - others may have done). The Zappi has far and away the best support for energy management like this, as it integrates with other MyEnergi home energy management gadgets very easily.

I've no connection with them, BTW.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Is your home battery AC or DC coupled? With a Zappi and AC you can add another CT to the cable between the batter and solar inverter to prevent the battery being discharged into the car.

If DC, the Zappi is still a good option but you have to set the "Export Margin" config so that the car charges only when the battery is full, and there is 50-100w watts "spilling over" into the grid.

I think most chargers & cars have the ability to schedule charging, but you should set one or the other (not both) for your cheap tariff period.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
thanks for the super fast replies......... @garycat I dont actually know.. i will read the bumpf on my system and find out .....
this is the inverter

so i guess that means it is AC as i am using an inverter ? sorry if i am thick! v edit actually i dont have a clue!. may need to get details from installer.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It looks like a DC coupled model, if you have thick red & black cables connected to the highlighted terminals underneath, going to your battery. Either way, I think the Zappi is still the preferred option.

·
Super Moderator
7,576 Posts
Zappi will do it but is expensive. It is not going to "pay for itself". Personally I would set the timer in your car for the Go Faster window, and then, if it's a sunny day, plug in the portable EVSE and press the override button on the car. That will push max 2.3kw into the car, which means when a cloud comes over, yes, you'll take a little from your battery, but the cloud will pass, and the battery will top back up again.

Reactions: Bigmike20VT

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Zappi is good, but you have to be clear which is most important, using all kWh as effectively as possible, most cost effective, least stressful. Solar, is it FIT or SEG? If FIT, use it to charge your car, if SEG, consider 5p night-time Go or similar. Cars frequently have timers for charging time.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,597 Posts
The much cheaper ProjectEV can integrate with solar. I've no idea how well and whether it will do what you want. It's half the price of the Zappi before any of the other bits.

·
Registered
435 Posts
and if so is there a specific model i need to get.

Hi
I am just in the process of starting to seriously consider an EV. i have wanted one for ages but it is only now that vehicles with the stats i want are compatible with the costs i can pay.
We have an octapus Go Faster tariff and just had solar with battery installed.

I would like to only charge the car on my cheap evening tariff from 8:30-1:30 (unless i over ride it)

but at the same time , on my home solar, i would like to charge my home battery and then dump excess energy into the car before finally selling back to the grid as the last option....... So the car needs to have the potential to charge from solar at any point during the day after my home battery is full BUT also fully charge from the grid when i have cheap energy.

is there a charging system which offers such flexibility or will i just have to make do with charging from the grid off peak?

thanks
I’m hoping to be in a very similar situation soon and wanting to do the exact same things, so I’ll be following with interest. Please keep us updated with how you get on and what solution you find. I think it should be possible From comments above, and the little research I’ve done into this too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts