Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can this hype really be justified?

I mean - come on - " ........ thrust a hyperloop pod from rest to 155 mph (250 km/h) in a fraction of a .second........" - without causing the occupants of the pod to spill their G&T?

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Hyper comes from the Greek word meaning "beyond". You accelerate someone at beyond their expected rate and of course they'll spill their G&T ! So not so inaccurate, if inadvertently!

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,241 Posts
Can this hype really be justified?

I mean - come on - " ........ thrust a hyperloop pod from rest to 155 mph (250 km/h) in a fraction of a .second........" - without causing the occupants of the pod to spill their G&T?

Do you mean calling it 'hyper' or the claim?

Looks like a direct drive axial flux motor design. Such designs can dump stupid amounts of power down.

If you are talking about the use of the word 'hyper' itself, then I'd suggest it is Ancient Greek slang for 'exaggeration'. ;)

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like a direct drive axial flux motor design. Such designs can dump stupid amounts of power down.
The only device I am aware of that can accelerate a mass the size of a transport pod from rest to 155mph ( how specific ) in a fraction of a second ( unspecified fraction) is an electric rail gun. They can accelerate a shell from rest to Mach 6 in 10 milliseconds. Not sure that I could survive such acceleration though.

·
29,241 Posts
The only device I am aware of that can accelerate a mass the size of a transport pod from rest to 155mph ( how specific ) in a fraction of a second ( unspecified fraction) is an electric rail gun. They can accelerate a shell from rest to Mach 6 in 10 milliseconds. Not sure that I could survive such acceleration though.

Ah, I see, it says that, does it? ... OK, yeah, Greek for 'exaggeration'.

Well, it'd need something like a 10MW motor to do that (a hyperloop pod appears to be around 3T), and also some way to deliver that power into traction force. It'd be about 10g acceleration and most people would black out, momentarily at least, at such an instantaneous acceleration.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I’ve lost count of the number of articles that I have seen claiming a better motor design. I think most manufacturers would be delighted to achieve a 5% improvement in size/weight for the same power output and performance and, critically, at the same cost.

·
29,241 Posts
eventually my commute to work will look something like this:

Why do you think "they" (whoever they are) would build a track from your house to your work, and stop anyone living to the north of you commuting to the south of you, and vice versa?

You're missing so many basic fundamentals of engineering, it is difficult to have any sort of rational conversation with you. Engineering is about putting in place reliable and manufacturable solutions that are cost effective for some overall benefit or function.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Suppose a hyperloop were built from seattle to san diego with some feeder tubes along the way for the cities in between (an overall distance of 1255 miles)... (we've got tacoma, olympia, portland, salem, eugene, medford, redding, sacramento, oakland, berkeley, san francisco, san jose, fresno, bakersfield, los angeles along the way - roughly the distance from london to naples italy).

One could live in any of these towns and reasonably commute for work to any of those other towns, not to mention all the cargo/freight that is carried between those towns. Live in san diego but work in seattle 1200 miles away? no problem. As an example I live in redding & today i'll be making a round trip of about 500 miles for work (about 4 hours at 75mph each way). I'd much rather go 10x faster and spend 24 minutes instead of 4 hours.

Any town connected to such a corridor would see its property values skyrocket due to increased access to well paying jobs in the major metros, and people could move out of the major cities to farther flung locales, but still work there, for example.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
people could move out of the major cities to farther flung locales, but still work there, for example.
Covid19 doesn't change any of that for you?

I'd much rather go 10x faster and spend 24 minutes instead of 4 hours.
You and how many others though? It won't be cheap.

not to mention all the cargo/freight that is carried between those towns.
How much of that freight is so time sensitive it needs those speeds?

As they say in all the best/worst detective stories ... Follow the money.

·
29,241 Posts
The only reason people have to work close to where they live right now is relatively low transit speeds we're just kicking our heels waiting for Star Fleet to invent transport beams in 428.3528080234 years time.
Fixed that for ya.

·
29,241 Posts
@metastable , on the thread topic of misusing words, something's been bothering me the last few days you can answer ...

Why can't Amurcans say 'solder' and 'warrior?

They say 'sodder' and 'woowier'. Is there something about 'l' and 'rr' that's a problem in pronunciation?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts