Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm looking at leasing a Mitsubishi phev as a company car.

I will save approx £1500 on tax compared to my current Qashqai +2 1.6 diesel

My drive to work is 21 miles each way, currently get about 51 mpg, half way is free flowing A road the rest is stop start

I will be having a charger fitted at home, but there is no where to charge at work.

What mpg can I expect running petrol only on the way home?

Also, there is a loading bay by my office back door. If I plugged in there for say 1 hour, what sort of charge level would I get?

I have asked the council about permission to charge in the loading bay, they say no so I can't leave it longer or any financial gain will go on parking tickets! Nearest rapid charge is 20 mins from office so no good to use that.

Thanks for your help

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
I would expect you to get 40-50mpg on the petrol part of the trip and that should be pretty much just the homeward part. This means you would average something like the same economy as a 100mpg car.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Is that in winter though. No Outlander has been through a UK winter yet. If the published range is 30 miles, I'll be surprised if you get more than 20 EV miles in winter.

My EV range has already dropped from 48 miles to 39 miles because of the cold weather.

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hi
I'm looking at leasing a Mitsubishi phev as a company car.
I will save approx £1500 on tax compared to my current Qashqai +2 1.6 diesel
My drive to work is 21 miles each way, currently get about 51 mpg, half way is free flowing A road the rest is stop start
I will be having a charger fitted at home, but there is no where to charge at work.
What mpg can I expect running petrol only on the way home?
Also, there is a loading bay by my office back door. If I plugged in there for say 1 hour, what sort of charge level would I get?
I have asked the council about permission to charge in the loading bay, they say no so I can't leave it longer or any financial gain will go on parking tickets! Nearest rapid charge is 20 mins from office so no good to use that.
Thanks for your help
Hi
Best solution would obviously be to charge at work somehow. If this is not possible, you should aim to do the 'free flowing A road' sections (both ways) in 'save' mode, i.e. using mainly the petrol engine, and the slower sections on EV. Assuming 25 miles on EV and 25 miles petrol (EDIT...maths not my strong point, as you can see), you should get around 40mpg on the petrol section, maybe high 30s. As has been said, I would expect nearer 20 miles EV range in the winter, unless you have a very light right foot..
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Sorry, I know I'm bias but it's really galling how much publicity and sales the Outlander PHEV is getting....and it seems to me to be down to marketing. Every time I'm in the gym, I see the ad at least twice on the TV and it implies it almost invented the electric car! :mad:

I think the Ampera and i3 are much better solutions for most motorists (that don't have a caravan, don't routinely have 5 in the car and don't need off road capability). I believe the technology/drivetrain/efficiency is much better in those.

Let's face it, SUVs aren't really eco-vehicles are they? But they are en vogue because most people don't care about the environment. It's probably also because they DON'T look distinctive.

The irony is that I work in marketing, so it's just annoyance at GM really.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I think the Ampera and i3 are much better solutions for most motorists (that don't have a caravan, don't routinely have 5 in the car and don't need off road capability). I believe the technology/drivetrain/efficiency is much better in those.
Much better solutions. But to which question? If the question is 'How can I enjoy the tax benefits granted to low emissions vehicles without looking like a geek or an eco-warrior?' then the Outlander PHEV is a very acceptable answer. It's big, has presence, looks like an executive car and is priced to get on company car lists.

·
Registered
396 Posts

Thanks for your help
I reckon on getting 5 to 6 miles per hour of 10A charging, but this is summer use.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Is that in winter though. No Outlander has been through a UK winter yet. If the published range is 30 miles, I'll be surprised if you get more than 20 EV miles in winter.

My EV range has already dropped from 48 miles to 39 miles because of the cold weather.
The UK winter will be interesting. We need to travel every day on untreated roads which rarely see a snowplough. If the Outlander (gX3h) can cope with this I will be happy. We will need to run the engine to supply heat to the cabin and demist, but the plus side is that surplus power from the engine runs the generator to feed the battery or the drive motors.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Sorry, I know I'm bias but it's really galling how much publicity and sales the Outlander PHEV is getting....and it seems to me to be down to marketing. Every time I'm in the gym, I see the ad at least twice on the TV and it implies it almost invented the electric car! :mad:

Let's face it, SUVs aren't really eco-vehicles are they? But they are en vogue because most people don't care about the environment. It's probably also because they DON'T look distinctive.

Ouch! I love the i3 but it seems too much like a boy's toy for me to get away with one.

I think the Outlander PHEV, like the Tesla, is quite subversive in that they both look like "normal" cars.

·
Registered
495 Posts
A 42-mile daily commute is pretty much ideal territory for a PHEV, especially if you sometimes do much longer trips at the weekends. Yes the Ampera is better in terms of absolute fuel economy. I chose the Outlander mainly because I have 3 kids so need 5 seats. I don't go off-road (intentionally :eek:) but I live up a fairly steep hill - in a bad winter a couple of years ago I couldn't get within 250 metres of the house for about a week, and my drive is very steep so with 4-wheel drive and winter tyres I should be able to recharge every night. It's slightly smaller than the S-max I had before, but I will be taking it on the family holiday next week - 5 people and a week's worth of luggage, so the Ampera or i3 wouldn't cut it for me. It's not just good advertising....

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I find myself somewhat torn on the issue of SUVs. When they first started gaining popularity, I concurred with the view of them as Chelsea tractors and the only time most of them would go 'off-road' is when they need a service. With rising fuel prices, environmental awareness and a recognition that petrol is a dwindling resource, largely sourced from an unstable region of the world (arguably causing more wars), their growth seemed counter intuitive.

@Robwiz 's comment about 'big' and 'presence' is somewhat of a circular argument. Indeed, you'd rather be in an accident in an SUV than an MX5 - but that's part of the problem. By being cocooned and elevated, it gives an unnatural sense of security and the by product is that some drivers use them to 'bully' other road users (white vans and Range Rovers spring to mind) at worst or drive less carefully at best. Drive an open top roadster and see how you feel!

If you are in an accident or have a child that steps out into a busy road, which would cause more damage? A small streamlined car or an SUV with a bonnet at child head height?

Having said all that, there are some very nice looking SUVs and cross overs and indeed, my wife drives a crossover because it makes her feel safer; it's a viscous circle!

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I hear ya @jdsx and valid arguments they are....to some extent ;)

As I say, my wife has a Kuga and she even wanted the AWD because she doesn't like driving in snow. The ironic thing is, there wasn't really even a single flake of snow since she owned it. I think people convince themselves they need an SUV when the reality is an estate, particularly a 4WD one would serve equally as well and give better performance and mpg. The reality is that SUVs don't tend to have that much room inside. Watch Elon Musk's presentation at the launch of the Tesla S in which he talks about just that.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I find myself somewhat torn on the issue of SUVs. When they first started gaining popularity, I concurred with the view of them as Chelsea tractors and the only time most of them would go 'off-road' is when they need a service. With rising fuel prices, environmental awareness and a recognition that petrol is a dwindling resource, largely sourced from an unstable region of the world (arguably causing more wars), their growth seemed counter intuitive.
@Robwiz 's comment about 'big' and 'presence' is somewhat of a circular argument. Indeed, you'd rather be in an accident in an SUV than an MX5 - but that's part of the problem. By being cocooned and elevated, it gives an unnatural sense of security and the by product is that some drivers use them to 'bully' other road users (white vans and Range Rovers spring to mind) at worst or drive less carefully at best. Drive an open top roadster and see how you feel!
If you are in an accident or have a child that steps out into a busy road, which would cause more damage? A small streamlined car or an SUV with a bonnet at child head height?
Having said all that, there are some very nice looking SUVs and cross overs and indeed, my wife drives a crossover because it makes her feel safer; it's a viscous circle!
Yes I agree with you @Brooktop. I don't really like '4x4s/SUVs' either! Except when I'm driving it of course ;)
PS Trying desperately to think of a suitable joke about viscous v viscious, but actually viscous seems quite appropriate :p

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Drat..I'm usually such a perfectionist and avid proof reader; that slipped through, but I won't edit it because other readers won't get the significance.

I confess to actually liking the BMW X6, BUT even if I could afford one, I'd stick to my principles and buy a Model S :)

I do like driving my wife's Kuga but guilt gets the better of me and usually take the Ampera, even though mine is private and hers is motability.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I hear ya @jdsx and valid arguments they are....to some extent ;)

As I say, my wife has a Kuga and she even wanted the AWD because she doesn't like driving in snow. The ironic thing is, there wasn't really even a single flake of snow since she owned it. I think people convince themselves they need an SUV when the reality is an estate, particularly a 4WD one would serve equally as well and give better performance and mpg. The reality is that SUVs don't tend to have that much room inside. Watch Elon Musk's presentation at the launch of the Tesla S in which he talks about just that.
Sounds like your wife needs to test drive an Outlander PHEV :eek: Then she'd be driving on electricity most of the time. There's plenty of room in the back - not quite as much as my old S-max but not far short..... :D

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
To be fair...I think she would. However, I got the EV bug AFTER she got it and as it's motability, it's for 3 years. She has been impressed by the Ampera and Leaf possibly even more so because she likes a high seating position, whereas the Ampera is lower/sportier seating.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts