Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can’t decide between the long range AWD and the standard range plus. Is the price difference worth it for the extra mileage? Also what real world ranges are people getting from their SR+ cars?
Thanks

·
Registered
418 Posts
SR+ owner here.

Range is affected by a number of factors. I'd say, on a warm dry day, 200+ miles is easily achievable. In my opinion: is it relevant? Not really.

On a road trip, you want to drive for some 2 hours and supercharge for some 20 minutes. And for your short journeys, a big chunk of battery power goes to climate control and battery conditioning, so your "range" from 100% to 0% will be less than 200 miles. And that's okay.

If this is your first fully electric car, it will be a different experience than an internal combustion engine, in the sense that you don't fill up once every X days and forget till you see the low fuel light. Always be aware of your battery % and charge according to best practices, even daily if needed.

All that being said, if I could afford a long range AWD, I'd go for that, because:

"I wish I had less range in my electric car".
Said no one, ever. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got the the LR because the cost difference isn't that great if you are going to keep the car for several years where range will gradually decrease & also in winter the quoted max can drop a lot. Only using Sentry Mode, aircon, heating etc when strictly necessary all help a lot in maximising range if that's important - applies to all Teslas regardless of spec.

As I'm doing mostly low speed supermarket & local driving at the moment, the instant/average range readout in the car frequently predicts well over 400m (on one occasion it estimated nearly 600) That is by resisting the urge to accelerate of course which is quite difficult in any of these M3s!

Another factor will be how often you use the supercharging network - my Daughter has had a Model X for a couple of years, supercharges all the time (free) and her max range has dropped quite a lot already.

Premium interior package & connectivity for 12 months is also worth having with the LR... SR+ sound system is great but premium sound is simply incredible. 4WD and faster acceleration are also included of course.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you can afford it I'd definitely get the LR for that extra energy in the battery as already mentioned it's not all about simply the range but being able to drive less efficiently with the HVAC running in the middle of winter. Then leave the car in car park with sentry mode running. That's unless of course your normal driving only includes short journeys.

I do the occasional 200 mile round trip so in the SR+ I only needs a 15 minute top up each way in winter and can do the trip without a charge in summer if I'm a little mindful of the way I'm driving. That's to say it'll do it fine but it's always worth keeping a buffer for unforeseen circumstances.

In winter I get ~180 miles doing my daily commute of 40 miles driving at a fairly steady speed. So the range drop is significant between seasons. The battery is always somewhat pre-heated from charging. Multiple short journeys from cold would hammer the range even more.

I follow the Tesla advice and just leave the car plugged in all the time and set my limits based on the daily requirements. That way the car can always maintain the batteries and condition the car before leaving.

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
Another factor will be how often you use the supercharging network - my Daughter has had a Model X for a couple of years, supercharges all the time (free) and her max range has dropped quite a lot already.
This is interesting, are you making a link between Superchsrging and loss of range/battery degradation?

Isn’t it that the ‘reduced range‘ is down to her long term driving style, a bit like your own car is dreaming up long ranges based on your current usage?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies. My daily commute is a 3 mile round trip, but I work in a school so when it’s holiday time we go down to visit my family in Cornwall. That means Manchester to Penzance frequently and we also like to drive over to Europe and camp so I’ll be doing quite a few long trips.
As my commute is so short I know that the range of the SR+ is easily enough, but for those longer trips I would like a bit more, plus as people have pointed out being able to run sentry mode etc.
Looks like I need a multi coat red LR

·
Registered
277 Posts
Look at your usage and base it on that. Rare is the occasion that I take more than 20 miles of range out of my battery before being back home again.

·
Registered
15,546 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. My daily commute is a 3 mile round trip, but I work in a school so when it’s holiday time we go down to visit my family in Cornwall. That means Manchester to Penzance frequently and we also like to drive over to Europe and camp so I’ll be doing quite a few long trips.
As my commute is so short I know that the range of the SR+ is easily enough, but for those longer trips I would like a bit more, plus as people have pointed out being able to run sentry mode etc.
With the number of Superchargers and public chargers on that route, an SR+ will be just fine. Assuming you don't insist on doing it in one go without stopping. :)

Bear in mind the SR+ has pretty much the same range as the old Model S 85, which worked fine when there were less Superchargers available, with lower charging speeds.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I think you’ll be fine with the SR+

The occasional journey I doubt you’ll
mind stopping. Annoying if it was everyday

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've got the LR and the extra range is definitely more convenient, but it really is just that - convenience. Like others have said, you should be fine doing a 200 mile trip with the SR+ as there's no way you'll drive for more than a few hours without stopping for food/toilet break while charging the car.

The real world range will always be a lot less than the stated WLTP range. My general rule of thumb for all electric cars (not just Teslas) is as follows:
For Summer, deduct 10% of the WLTP range.
For Winter, deduct 30% of the WLTP range.

This is obviously just a very basic calculation and there are a lot of factors other than temperature but use that as a guide to decide which car to buy.

The extra cost for the long range is mostly for the larger battery but don't forget it also includes mats, a year's connectivity, premium speakers, rear heated seats (but you can buy this as an add on from the app) and dual motors. If range isn't an issue then these should be the deciding factors but let's be honest, all these things combined probably isn't worth the extra £6k to £7k.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m happy to stop en route and the speed and availability of superchargers is one of the main reasons I’m looking at a model 3. Can anyone give me their experience of range in the SR+ at motorway speed is summer?

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is interesting, are you making a link between Superchsrging and loss of range/battery degradation?

Isn’t it that the ‘reduced range‘ is down to her long term driving style, a bit like your own car is dreaming up long ranges based on your current usage?
I took it into the local Service Centre for her last November to enquire about this (Daughter lives in California) & the tech guy asked me about charging. When I said about 85% of all charges since new were at a supercharger he told me that it does have an effect on lifetime range because the batteries are basically forced charged at high speed (which is OK from time to time) but they ultimately perform better with slower charging routines. Since then she plugs in most nights at home and only uses free charging on a longer journey.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’m happy to stop en route and the speed and availability of superchargers is one of the main reasons I’m looking at a model 3. Can anyone give me their experience of range in the SR+ at motorway speed is summer?
I've got the M3P with an SR+ on order.. a colleague was getting 70 miles range with 33% of charge in his SR+ going along the M4 a couple of months ago with the heater on at 70mph. It was this reason I figured I could happily survive with an SR+ instead of an LR. I wasn't getting massively more range in my M3P, though I was driving about 10mph faster.

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,555 Posts
How often do you stop on that long trip now? I got 160 mile range in SR+ on my motorway trip and car told me to slow down to make charger 😃

·
Registered
418 Posts
On a hot September day, I averaged 255Wh/mile over 535 miles at 70mph indicated (69mph real) on a motorway journey. That works out to a 210 mile range for the SR+.

A great tool for planning trips with different cars is abetterrouteplanner.com

Oh, and you want to go for the white seats. LR, Red, 19" wheels. That's your car.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have SR+ and work in a school too (well, at home) and I get:

210whpm in summer
230 on fast motorway speeds

270- 330 in winter!

SR+ will be fine, once you get it you will want an LR for the peace of mind and speed, but don't stretch yourself.

I don't trust myself with white seats, let alone any kids. Black seats and wood FTW

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We usually stop a couple of times on the journey to Penzance as we have a young child. That’s also why I’m not going to get the white seats!

I do like them but i’d rather you could get the white seats without the white dash insert, as it reflects on the screen too much I think

·
Registered
522 Posts
We usually stop a couple of times on the journey to Penzance as we have a young child. That’s also why I’m not going to get the white seats!

I do like them but i’d rather you could get the white seats without the white dash insert, as it reflects on the screen too much I think

Have you tried this website? A Better Routeplanner you can put both Model 3's and see what difference it makes

·
Registered
64 Posts

Same here, I like the white seat-black-trim 'Panda' look but couldn't risk letting young Grandkids loose with them (also read a lot of online comments about wing mirrors & screen being blinded by full sun). The only thing I really don't like about the black is the grey faux suede on the doors... wood on dash is OK in a kind of retro-doesn't match kind of way!

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,555 Posts

It is a big decision but if you can afford it LR gives you less to think about on the longer trips, there are still a few holes in the SC network but bonus of having CCS is one of the other networks can be used as a backup.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts