Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
REF: Why Mitsubishi Is Making a Big Mistake By Removing CHAdeMO Quick Charging on U.S. Outlander Plug-in Hybrid

Transport Evolved are saying they are making a big mistake. I am not so sure. No idea what the rationale is, but it can only be good news for BEVS in the US? Interestingly Australia and New Zealand did not get DC enabled Outland PHEV's either.

What I don't understand is why the Outlander PHEV model of present and upcoming is only 16A and not 32A? It surely can't cost that much more to make it a 32A charger? Or at the very least it should be an upgrade option for the customer. Having an Outlander PHEV that could charge at 7kw on a Type 2 would be a dream for many.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I have always thought it a little silly to put one on the car to be honest, pure BEV owners in the US would welcome the decision I am sure, outlanders plugging in at rapids caused a lot of annoyance to pure BEV owners over here, now its 6 quid a charge over here you don't see them plugged in any more.

Dale Vince the owner of Ecotricity EH loathed them using the EH so I have heard.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have always thought it a little silly to put one on the car to be honest, pure BEV owners in the US would welcome the decision I am sure, outlanders plugging in at rapids caused a lot of annoyance to pure BEV owners over here, now its 6 quid a charge over here you don't see them plugged in any more.

Dale Vince the owner of Ecotricity EH loathed them using the EH so I have heard.
It's not that he loathed them. It is just that they make poor use of the installation. He was thinking a lower power (and cheaper) unit alongside the main EH units would be sensible for PHEV specifically.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
626 Posts
PHEV battery is too little for 'enjoy' fast charging

I bet mitsubishi is afraid of potential 'class action' in case PHEV battery does not age good

·
Registered
249 Posts
When I first got it, and didn't really understand, I thought it was a good idea.
UK cars come with them, so I didn't get a choice.
With hindsight, if it had been a £500 option that I had paid for, I would be really upset now.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Fast charging on the PHEV is a waste

It shorts the live of batteries, for provide 30km of EV range after waiting 30min

It is an hybrid car, if battery run out, there are 45l fuel or 450km of ICE range

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
@RickMGoldie I heard it from somebody in the inner circle that Dale really didnt like PHEV using the pumps at all, they used the word loathed, they also said that whilst he didnt like them there was never any talk of not letting them register, im guessing as much as he loathed them he also wanted them to join Ecotricity.

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@RickMGoldie I heard it from somebody in the inner circle that Dale really didnt like PHEV using the pumps at all, they used the word loathed, they also said that whilst he didnt like them there was never any talk of not letting them register, im guessing as much as he loathed them he also wanted them to join Ecotricity.
I think the truth of the PHEV situation is, whatever your position be you a Charge Point provider, Local Council, EV driver, OLEV, BEV manufacturer, and even EV forum... you are simply given no choice but to keep quite and not publicly grumble. Is considered very in-PC to speak out publicly on PHEV's.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
If you watch the video with Dale and Bobbyllew you can see Dales public opinion on PHEV using the pumps, public and private quite different, imagine how gritted his teeth must have been when he was having his legal fight with Tesla and he couldnt do anything about Teslas pulling up and using the pumps ha ha, im surprised hes got any teeth left.

·
Registered
16,793 Posts
If you watch the video with Dale and Bobbyllew you can see Dales public opinion on PHEV using the pumps, public and private quite different, imagine how gritted his teeth must have been when he was having his legal fight with Tesla and he couldnt do anything about Teslas pulling up and using the pumps ha ha, im surprised hes got any teeth left.
During the legal 'fight' Dale had the upper hand. He's effectively embargoed all of the Superchargers installed or about to be installed at Welcome Break MSAs. No Tesla was able to use them.

Sounds like he got a good deal out if it in the long run...

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Yes id be interested to know what kind of deal they got? I dont think that we will ever know, Im going to bet you will see a lot more Teslas charging at superchargers than any other EV using the EH though and as such in time it might be Elon that has the upper hand, use them or lose them as the saying goes. :censored:

·
Registered
160 Posts
When I first got it, and didn't really understand, I thought it was a good idea.
UK cars come with them, so I didn't get a choice.
With hindsight, if it had been a £500 option that I had paid for, I would be really upset now.
We use one occasionally - it is useful as we don't have home charging. However I agree wholeheartedly that as an extra, it wouldn't be worth paying for. I much prefer destination charging than sitting around for 20 mins to gain 20 miles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts