Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to lose trust in my charger installation company. I have an Ohme wall charger but now looking to have a retrospectively installed earth rod to be as safe as possible since they didn't advise one initially. Now the more I look into chargers the more I'm concerned they haven't followed regulations.

A video by Artisan Electrics explained the regulations state the charger must be placed a minimum of 75cm from the ground. I've attached a photo of my charger but this clearly isn't 75cm from the ground. Maybe it was my fault as I asked installer if can go there as the brick is painted black so would be camouflaged and he duly agreed. I'm not an electrician so shouldn't he have said no as won't comply with regulations?

Before I complain to the installer, am I correct? Thanks
IMG_20201010_115224.jpg

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
That's a tricky one.
That looks like a portable charger that you've got fixed to the wall, in which case I'm not sure the regs apply.
But it appears to be plumbed in (It's edge of picture), so maybe they do.

Also not sure if those heights are prescribed or just recommended. (I think they are to do with accessibility rather than any safety, etc, aspects.)

·
Registered
17,404 Posts
So let’s be clear. You asked the electrician to install it on the ‘black brick’.

Now you’re complaining that he did as you instructed?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So let’s be clear. You asked the electrician to install it on the ‘black brick’.

Now you’re complaining that he did as you instructed?
Yes but that was months ago and I only did that for aesthetic reasons. Now as all newbies I'm learning more as time passes and just stumbled upon the video that mentioned the 75cm minimum. An electrician knows the regs so if a customer suggests something unknowingly wrong then surely they should say "sorry can't do that as won't comply"?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a tricky one.
That looks like a portable charger that you've got fixed to the wall, in which case I'm not sure the regs apply.
Hi, no it's the Ohme smart wall charger not the portable cables they sell.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It’s 750mm for building regs, nothing to do with electrical.
It’s your house put it where you want

·
Registered
418 Posts
Amendment one moved where the height is specified.

The new text (note it’s a ‘must’) is:

the EV socket-outlet must be installed within 0.75 to 1.2 metres from Finished Floor Level (FFL), with the top of displays between 1.2 and 1.4 metres from FFL.

There’s an overlap in Part M but that’s not a must in your case AFAIK.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you receive a proper installation cert with his scheme details?
I'm sure I did but was all sent digitally. I remember getting invoice and a copy of the EV&HP application form which they completed and had a lot of details about the proposed installation. I'll get a copy of the certificate now having issues. It's SmartHomeCharge so not a small company.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why do you think you need a earth rod?
Don't want to go into too much detail as addressed this on other threads and I was wrong but my house configuration is TNS and I thought as advised by DNO and installer didn't need one. Many others including electricians state unless you can guarantee the supply outside of house all the way back to the transformer is TNS then if repairs have been done likely to be TNCS. If a PEN fault develops I could get shock even though risk is very small. Therefore, only way to be sure and safe is earth rod or charger with in built PEN protection.

·
Registered
272 Posts
There's no general rules which prevent electrical equipment being installed below 75cm from the ground, lots of equipment is mounted below 75cm but equipment must be suitably rated for its environment, so for example risk of water ingress or impact. There's also a rule that items should be installed taking account of manufacturers instructions, so if the manufacturer states 0.75m then the installer should take that into account, but it is take account of, not that it has to be followed.

One concern I would have with it being mounted low is risk of impact which cannot be assessed from the photo - are you dragging the wheelie bins back and forth past it every week for the rubbish collection, is it likely to get bashed or knocked there?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One concern I would have with it being mounted low is risk of impact which cannot be assessed from the photo - are you dragging the wheelie bins back and forth past it every week for the rubbish collection, is it likely to get bashed or knocked there?
No it's not at risk of getting knocked there. Wheelies bins are through other side gate of house.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If it‘s building regs (sorry, don’t know if it is or not) then surely you can’t put it where you want.
well I was trying to suggest he was electrically safe. But the building regs talk about a socket, as he has a tethered unit you can basically put it we’re you want and long as the“socket” is mounted between 450/1200mm

which his is.

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
166 Posts
Oh thanks! I thought maybe it was electrical to avoid water submersion in event of a flood?
The reason given for the installation height is to prevent collision damage as it is likely to be near a moving car.
Interestingly it says the socket height and not the height of the control box.
So it looks like you are compliant!

·
Registered
192 Posts
QUOTE="finchlean, post: 2901445, member: 6190"]
The reason given for the installation height is to prevent collision damage as it is likely to be near a moving car.
Interestingly it says the socket height and not the height of the control box.
So it looks like you are compliant!
[/QUOTE]

Why have a max height then?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts