Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Lettuce Leaf early to be sure of arriving on time.
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to like PlugShare a lot: unlike ZapMap it didn’t take an age to load and I found the interface friendlier.

They’ve never had a decent standard layout for names and addresses, or a sensible place to put info about the supplier, or access info like what card/app/tag you need. They’ve always thought ‘Shell’ or ‘Lidl’ was enough info to find a site, even when the location has ‘Shell Blackwater’ (or whatever) on its branding and signage.

But recently, things have gone hugely downhill, and I wonder if they’ve lost interest. Do they really think the attached is adequate? Has everyone switched over to ZapMap?

3CC12F02-E83C-425D-82C1-7C641EB6B062.jpeg

·
Registered
35 Posts
You can edit the name. As pointed out above, the data is crowd sourced, it’s up to the users to make it what it is. I’ve renamed some places to be more meaningful. I renamed this one for you, hope that’s OK now

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
984 Posts
If anything I think Zap Map has gone downhill. Lots of charge points haven't had any updates in months. Obviously lockdown won't have helped, but if I look at the same locations on Plugshare there seem to be plenty of recent check-ins.

I used to use Plugshare a lot when I was living in the US and it was by far the best option over there. Here in the UK Zap Map always seemed like a better designed product and I stuck with that, but recently there just doesn't seem to be enough active users to make it useful anymore. No recently reported visits to say is a chargepoint is working, faulty or removed. Showing points that were removed or transferred to another network long ago. Not showing new points that have been installed some time ago. Staff not really paying attention to reports and making mistakes when they do finally act on user requests etc.

I find myself looking on various apps belonging to networks I trust, more than using apps like Zap Map these days, finding a conveniently placed charger on their own app, and using that to confirm if it appears to be working or not then heading there and hoping for the best.

·
Registered
16,781 Posts
You can edit the name. As pointed out above, the data is crowd sourced, it’s up to the users to make it what it is. I’ve renamed some places to be more meaningful. I renamed this one for you, hope that’s OK now
OK, but just don’t let it happen again!

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
I’ve renamed some places to be more meaningful.
I've moved the marker for a couple of places to place them over the actual charger.

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
282 Posts
In Europe Zap-Map only covers the UK and Ireland so Plugshare and I found it useful in continental Europe when used together with ChargeMap to confirm locations. I also try and contribute to all three whenever I use a new rapid or at least once a month on my local rapids. Agreed - all apps are only as good as the data inputted by users and the app developer themselves.

·
Registered
Ioniq
664 Posts
Plugshare is much better if you're looking for information on a specific charger; the pictures and description can be very helpful, for example if the location isn't obvious. People do post useful information and photos in the chat section of zap-map, but they are often quickly buried by all the "yes it worked" posts.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Funny. When I started EV'ing in 2017 I tried both Zap-Map and Plugshare and settled on Plugshare - due to it having photos for most charge sites (vs almost none in Zap-Map at the time) and having more up to date comments from users about charge success/failure. Also the app felt better to use and integrated well with Google Maps.

Due to owning a very short range EV I eventually gave up on doing any longer trips in it and therefore rarely used either app. Now that I have something a bit longer range I wanted to do a search based on particular networks (Charge Place Scotland, Instavolt and Engenie) and discovered Plugshare can't do it because the network options are Polar and "Other". :rolleyes:

So I gave Zap-Map another look and boy has it changed in 3 years! Nearly all sites have an array of photos just like Plugshare, the comments on most of the sites near me are much more recent on Zap-map than Plugshare, live charger status (in use, available, out of order) is available on most sites, (not in plugshare) and it alerted me to the fact that a couple of sites I was considering using were down when plugshare's most up to date post was months ago and made it look like the site was working. Even the Google Maps integration is good in Zap-Map now - I don't think it even had that before. User interface is greatly improved on what it once was.

It seems that Zap-Map has added a bunch of new features in the last couple of years including the live status and as a result users have abandoned Plugshare and flocked to Zap-Map as it's the complete opposite of three years ago where Plugshare had the most up to date comments on sites. Many of the sites within 20 miles of me haven't had a single comment on Plugshare for more than 6 months but have comments within a few days or week or two on Zap-map. Some of these sites are busy sites that always seem to have someone charging at them when I drive past.

So while I'll continue to use both, Zap-Map is now my go to instead of Plugshare, and to me at least, yes, it does look like Plugshare's popularity is waning.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,659 Posts
Chargemap isnt used much in the UK and again relies on crowd sourced data, guess where the BMW i3 gets its chargepoint data from.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Staff not really paying attention to reports and making mistakes when they do finally act on user requests etc.
On the contrary, I've found ZapMap staff to be very responsive. When someone posted that a particular park-and-ride rapid charge point was out of action just because they had turned up on a Sunday when the park and ride was closed, I sent them an email. Within a couple of days they had updated the entry to add the restriction "Closed on Sunday", and reset the point to active. Obviously they can't read every post on every entry - so emailing makes sense. Having said that, an alert button on the entry would be a useful addition, to flag up a problem with the listing.

·
Lettuce Leaf early to be sure of arriving on time.
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
You realise that the information is crowd-sourced?
Yes.

Whilst that’s kind of you, my experience is that someone will soon revert it. In any case, it was just an example: put ‘Shell’ or ‘Lidl’ into Plugshare’s search and you’ll see loads.

It was also meant to highlight the incomplete address info. Correct version from Royal Mail attached (and yes, I could correct it myself, but can’t see the point when there are so many like it).

Whilst crowd-sourced info is bound to be variable, a decent platform limits this by having pre-determined address fields and a standardised format (varied by nationality of course). Plugshare’s not improving IMHO, and to stay still is to fall back.

I don’t see much future for Plugshare, sadly, for the reasons that DBMandrake has so clearly enumerated.

Pity.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yes.

Whilst that’s kind of you, my experience is that someone will soon revert it. In any case, it was just an example: put ‘Shell’ or ‘Lidl’ into Plugshare’s search and you’ll see loads.

It was also meant to highlight the incomplete address info. Correct version from Royal Mail attached (and yes, I could correct it myself, but can’t see the point when there are so many like it).

Whilst crowd-sourced info is bound to be variable, a decent platform limits this by having pre-determined address fields and a standardised format (varied by nationality of course). Plugshare’s not improving IMHO, and to stay still is to fall back.

I don’t see much future for Plugshare, sadly, for the reasons that DBMandrake has so clearly enumerated.

Pity. View attachment 133542
It doesn't sound like crowd sourced data is for you.

If you want consistancy use something managed by a provider. The Hyundai mapping and live data (wherever they get their data from) seems very consistent. Maybe the Nav in you car is the same?

There are trade-offs, you have to take the rough with the smooth with crowd sourcing.

As has been amusingly pointed out - YOU are also supposed to be contributing to make it better, it's kind of the point. You probably should report the reversions and the lack of address format consistancy. You could probably propose alternatives.

Waze seems to be the dominant crowd sourced Nav, so maybe the way forward is for them to fully adopt EV infrastructure and add charging features. It will probably happen eventually.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts