Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post!

I had a phone call today from Renault Finance, quite out of the blue, inviting me to buy out my battery lease for £5,000. The car is a 2019 ZE40 and I've never enquired about buying the battery. Does this sales drive indicate a new policy from Renault, and are they actively trying to run down the battery lease business?

If they're keen to sell me the battery and I sit it out, I'm thinking that they might come back with a lower offer...

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,616 Posts
Are they? Yes.

The offer will get lower, if I am not mistaken about 1/120th per month, very rule based, not negotiable.

If you do the calculation, there's not much difference between depreciation and rent (which BTW includes some extra road assistance), so it's all up to you really, what suits you best. A lot of people claim that a car is better sell-able when it's battery owned. I can accept that, but if your intention is selling in the not too distant future, you can always do that at the moment of sale or even offer it as an option.

As for RCI's motivation (speculation hat on): I think it's more interesting to find their motivation for STARTING rent instead of ending it. Renting out an expensive type of kit with a massive technological improvement potential is not smart from a financial point of view. The asset will depreciate faster than the rent you can cash, so at best you can hope the customer sits it out. The motivation obviously (IMHO) was to lower the entry barrier for potential customers both financially, as well as "faith in battery tech" wise. It sure was an issue with this IT guy, knowing that my laptop batteries usually survived not much longer than two years. Of course THEY knew the battery would last longer than the car, but "we" were not convinced. It was the right call then, and to end it freeing up assets is the right call now. (speculation hat off)

I bought my 7.5 year old 22 kWh battery out. I like the lower monthly expenditure, and the battery will last quite a while. And when it really starts to degrade in a couple of years, I need the bits and pieces as a donor system ready for cell replacement. But that's another story.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My first post!

I had a phone call today from Renault Finance, quite out of the blue, inviting me to buy out my battery lease for £5,000. The car is a 2019 ZE40 and I've never enquired about buying the battery. Does this sales drive indicate a new policy from Renault, and are they actively trying to run down the battery lease business?

If they're keen to sell me the battery and I sit it out, I'm thinking that they might come back with a lower offer...
Answering my own thread, it seems that these phone calls started a several weeks ago. Sorry I overlooked that discussion - I did search the forum for previous posts on this topic but I didn't find the relevant thread!

·
Registered
506 Posts
if i had to guess, is because of how many leased battery zoes are out there being sold as "owned" , specially after being exported, and skipping their leases with tweaks to disconnect them from rci stopping the charges and so on.

·
Registered
573 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts