Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never bought a new car before and I've already posted on the general discussion about my unwillingness to part with cash. For reference, my total outlay on cars has been £9k in 15 yrs. Both VW golf estates and both done 265k miles. I'm looking very seriously at the MG5 and going to test drive it on Friday. I know the offers reduce the price to £20,475, which seems good. Is that what most people are paying currently? Can I haggle and try to get free servicing thrown in etc? Having never bought new car I am not sure what I can and can't ask for. I'm probably going to buy it through my company and will likely not take any finance deal they have unless it gets me a reduction in price. Chap I spoke to this morning seemed to suggest finance wouldn't help reduce the price anyway as any deals aren't compatible with the £4k part ex discount. I suspect he's talking rubbish but I just don't know. Any advice gratefully received.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It sounds like your familiar with the type of car you will be getting, as similar to your past two. The 50kw battery is worth the money as the only other thing with similar size for the price is the Zoe, and that thing is tiny.

Depending on the milage you do, the savings on fuel alone will go along way towards helping with the cost of the car, and you will have already saved a good chunk of depreciation in value up front with the discount.

With my heavy foot mainly on a roads at 14p per kWh rather than the 5p you can get 1100 miles was less than £30 in electric for me. We run 2 EVs and many computers at my house and my electric bill is £65 pm which is less than the petrol for 1 car.

If you can charge at home you will be shocked when it dawns on you how much time you spent planning your next visit to a petrol station.

Electric cars are also amazing to drive, smooth and powerful, they can also improve your driving if you with trying to get better miles per kWh.

I'm waiting for my car to come in Jan and it will be nice to have a little more range than my leaf and Kia soul.

Best of luck with the test drive. Happy to answer questions if I can.

Sent from my NX629J using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like your familiar with the type of car you will be getting, as similar to your past two. The 50kw battery is worth the money as the only other thing with similar size for the price is the Zoe, and that thing is tiny.

Depending on the milage you do, the savings on fuel alone will go along way towards helping with the cost of the car, and you will have already saved a good chunk of depreciation in value up front with the discount.

With my heavy foot mainly on a roads at 14p per kWh rather than the 5p you can get 1100 miles was less than £30 in electric for me. We run 2 EVs and many computers at my house and my electric bill is £65 pm which is less than the petrol for 1 car.

If you can charge at home you will be shocked when it dawns on you how much time you spent planning your next visit to a petrol station.

Electric cars are also amazing to drive, smooth and powerful, they can also improve your driving if you with trying to get better miles per kWh.

I'm waiting for my car to come in Jan and it will be nice to have a little more range than my leaf and Kia soul.

Best of luck with the test drive. Happy to answer questions if I can.

Thanks that's good to know re range and cost. It should be free for me to charge as I have solar panels and we can charge for free at my partners work (2 miles down the road). I usually do 25k miles a year but am now working from home 99% of the time. Should things return to anywhere near normality I will be back to that but I really can't predict it.

I am driving the Niro tomorrow but have decided it's too expensive especially as my partner has decided to buy another diesel so any super long journeys will be in his car if we can't be bothered doing the whole charging thing.

I have to say I am intrigued/ excited by the EV world. It sounds as though you are entirely sold on the concept of EV. Are you adding the MG in or retiring the leaf or the Soul?

I'll no doubt be back to ask questions after Friday!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have to say I am intrigued/ excited by the EV world. It sounds as though you are entirely sold on the concept of EV. Are you adding the MG in or retiring the leaf or the Soul?
The Soul is on lease until September, but I'll give it back when the Mg comes, and pay it off as it's not much.
The Soul was the MK1.5 with only about 100 miles range. Which is alot less stressful than the 60 miles of the leaf. The leaf is paid for and it does the commute easily so we are keeping it and adding the Mg for runs to the coast and days out when we are allowed again.

If you already have solar, then a Zappi charger will work great for you as it takes surplus and puts it in your car. You will also get £500 towards it from a government grant through olev. For the Mg you will need a 7kw type 2.

Also you could look at octopus energy for electricity as they do a go tarrif that gives you 4hrs at night at 5p per kWh. I have an link that will give us both £50 of our bill if you join them through it. Just ask and I'll post it.

Octopus also have an agile tarrif that can get cheaper but depends when you're home as very expensive between 4 and 7pm but the the zappi and octopus own charger the home can be set to charge below a set cost so can beat go sometimes. Just a little to much working out for me ATM.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check auto trader, there's new ones going for less than 20K e.g. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/new/202012086885289?modal=description

The exclusive seems to be available for 21500ish too if that's what you are after.
Thanks, that's new. Lowest I saw was £21,750. I spoke to a dealer this morning who said MG are doing a £4k discount if you part ex your old car. I wonder if this is the same. Might give them a call later. I wouldn't mind the heated seats ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Soul is on lease until September, but I'll give it back when the Mg comes, and pay it off as it's not much.
The Soul was the MK1.5 with only about 100 miles range. Which is alot less stressful than the 60 miles of the leaf. The leaf is paid for and it does the commute easily so we are keeping it and adding the Mg for runs to the coast and days out when we are allowed again.

If you already have solar, then a Zappi charger will work great for you as it takes surplus and puts it in your car. You will also get £500 towards it from a government grant through olev. For the Mg you will need a 7kw type 2.

Also you could look at octopus energy for electricity as they do a go tarrif that gives you 4hrs at night at 5p per kWh. I have an link that will give us both £50 of our bill if you join them through it. Just ask and I'll post it.

Octopus also have an agile tarrif that can get cheaper but depends when you're home as very expensive between 4 and 7pm but the the zappi and octopus own charger the home can be set to charge below a set cost so can beat go sometimes. Just a little to much working out for me ATM.

Thanks. I'll speak to my other half re swapping to Octopus as our solar panels are generating far more than we use. I'll be in touch for the link as and when it happens. Don't think the agile tariff will work as my son smashes the xbox during that time.

Interesting to hear you say that the 100 mile range is less stressful, I can imagine the whole range anxiety thing is vey real with such a low range. I'm guessing you didn't like the Kia enough then. Have to say I'm regretting having to go to the Niro test drive tomorrow but at least I'll have driven all the cars I would potentially consider.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Check auto trader, there's new ones going for less than 20K e.g. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/new/202012086885289?modal=description

The exclusive seems to be available for 21500ish too if that's what you are after.
Bit naughty that because it’s the price for the “affinity program” - you need to meet certain criteria to be eligible. Work for certain organisations etc.

OP - they’re heavily discounted, I doubt you’ll have much success in haggling for lots of extras. Worth a try but I wouldn’t waste too much time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bit naughty that because it’s the price for the “affinity program” - you need to meet certain criteria to be eligible. Work for certain organisations etc.

OP - they’re heavily discounted, I doubt you’ll have much success in haggling for lots of extras. Worth a try but I wouldn’t waste too much time.
Thanks, I was literally just googling the affinity scheme, which actually may work out for me. I would in public health sector and other half works for the NHS so we may qualify.

·
Registered
432 Posts
There seems to be one dealer on autotrader doing massively reduced headline prices. I enquired and they are basically pre-registering the cars to themselves, presumably to write off the VAT although I'm not totally clear on how that works. I think that would be a problem if you were intending to used the first year 100% capital allowance, but otherwise maybe not an issue apart from the extra registered keeper. The affinity scheme is different, as is the 'trade up' discount. If your OH works in the NHS then you will qualify, and that seems to give the best price with free paint.

There's a '0% finance' offer where you pay the full price or you can get 5.9% on the discounted price; an Exclusive works out at around £270 per month with £4k customer deposit. Lease deals are around for a similar monthly price but with a lower deposit of around £2500 (on a 9+ 48 month basis).

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Interesting to hear you say that the 100 mile range is less stressful
Let pretend chargers are always 20 miles apart, then if you wish to always have a plan B, you have to charge a 60 mile range car before it has done 40 miles, but a 100 miles range car before its done 80 miles. Hence the useful range doubles going from 60 to 100 raw range car.

Also with your other health working for NHS, consider the lease scheme they have, as EVs are very good value in it. Then your company can pay you millage for driving his/her car.

·
Registered
275 Posts
There seems to be one dealer on autotrader doing massively reduced headline prices. I enquired and they are basically pre-registering the cars to themselves, presumably to write off the VAT
That’s not quite how it works however dealers are given incentives from manufacturers for shifting a certain volume. It’s often beneficial to register the last handful to yourself, losing a bit on the sale price but gaining on the volume bonus from the manufacturer.

MG are obviously pushing volume really hard right now given the number of pre-reg EVs around. Possibly linked to the CO2 pool with VAG.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There seems to be one dealer on autotrader doing massively reduced headline prices. I enquired and they are basically pre-registering the cars to themselves, presumably to write off the VAT although I'm not totally clear on how that works. I think that would be a problem if you were intending to used the first year 100% capital allowance, but otherwise maybe not an issue apart from the extra registered keeper. The affinity scheme is different, as is the 'trade up' discount. If your OH works in the NHS then you will qualify, and that seems to give the best price with free paint.

There's a '0% finance' offer where you pay the full price or you can get 5.9% on the discounted price; an Exclusive works out at around £270 per month with £4k customer deposit. Lease deals are around for a similar monthly price but with a lower deposit of around £2500 (on a 9+ 48 month basis).
Wow, thanks for doing that. According to my accountant a car registered to the garage is fine and still allows the 100% capital allowance. I am so confused as to the ins and outs of lease deals, buying outright, buying via finance, me buying it versus my company etc that I'm having a chat with my accountant on Thursday.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Let pretend chargers are always 20 miles apart, then if you wish to always have a plan B, you have to charge a 60 mile range car before it has done 40 miles, but a 100 miles range car before its done 80 miles. Hence the useful range doubles going from 60 to 100 raw range car.

Also with your other health working for NHS, consider the lease scheme they have, as EVs are very good value in it. Then your company can pay you millage for driving his/her car.
I like your style!

·
Registered
BMW i3
2,124 Posts
If you already have solar, then a Zappi charger will work great for you as it takes surplus and puts it in your car. You will also get £500 towards it from a government grant through olev.
Now £350.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So. heading off to put a deposit down on the MG 5EV! Garage are closing over new year but I'll collect it first week of Jan. Bargain price using the Gov plug in grant and the Affinity programme - thanks to whoever put me on to that. Given my VW is worthless the £4k off plus value of your car makes the Affinity a better, especially as whatever paint colour you want is thrown in. And I get to keep my VW in case I change my mind 😂

The test drive was good, I like the fact the car creeps in drive without foot on the accelerator, much more like an ICE. Not sure it's going to knock the socks of anyone with gadgets or the drive but it's a good practical, and relatively, cheap car.

Have to say huge thanks to you guys for all the advice. Cheers.

·
Registered
611 Posts
So. heading off to put a deposit down on the MG 5EV! Garage are closing over new year but I'll collect it first week of Jan. Bargain price using the Gov plug in grant and the Affinity programme - thanks to whoever put me on to that. Given my VW is worthless the £4k off plus value of your car makes the Affinity a better, especially as whatever paint colour you want is thrown in. And I get to keep my VW in case I change my mind 😂

The test drive was good, I like the fact the car creeps in drive without foot on the accelerator, much more like an ICE. Not sure it's going to knock the socks of anyone with gadgets or the drive but it's a good practical, and relatively, cheap car.

Have to say huge thanks to you guys for all the advice. Cheers.
Can you summarise the deal please in £?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To be honest I am not sure of the exact % figures but MG 5 exclusive is £29,995 - £3,000 (gov grant) - £4,186 (ex VAT) = £21,893 (or something like that) to pay. It's for those working for NHS, firefighters etc. but is for partners/ children of those who work for the NHS etc as well. Think discounts for non EV cars are even more substantial. BUT... I was going to go for the £4k discount + value of your car which will likely work out better for most people but my car is only worth £500 so the affinity discount works out better for me, plus you get free paint colour of you choice rather than the £500 they want to add.

All garages seem to use these figures.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts