Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was under the impression the E golf was 7KW. I'm sure I've read it somewhere and I've now placed my order for one. Im concerned this will become an issue. Is the battery not cooled either? Im based in UK. Already having buyers remorse.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Well the brochure lists three charging options, and the one below CCS says it will take about 8 hours to recharge the battery, appx 24kwh, so that implies 3.3kw/16A . So not 7kw.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I was under the impression from all the data I read that it was 3.3kw too hence my decision not to wait for a test drive and purchase the leaf instead (6.6kw)

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Correct the UK E-Golf is 3.3kw with no option to upgrade!

The US version will have the 6.6kw. I'm not sure what the European version will have I suspect 3.3kw the same as the UK?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Why are new EVs being launched without heat pump heaters especially premium brands? It means you lose at least 25% range in winter - makes no sense.
The Germans are really lagging behind. No heat pump. 24kwh is no better than a leaf, no 7kw etc etc. This is really bad for a car that isn't cheap.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Unfortunately heat pump or 7kw charging is not
even an expensive option on the eGolf.

When I had an ordinary Golf it dawned on me that I could have bought another manufacturers car with more equipment for less than VAG charged for the Golf... but people don't buy that brand because of the equipment or value for money... ;)

·
Registered
Kona SE
964 Posts
I cannot believe that the Germans are not so obliging with own goals when we play them at football;).

I was counting on the Golf to be the car that changed the EV world and made it mainstream.
It is such an iconic brand that people would buy it without considering all the EV issues but simply because it had the Golf badge.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
They probably still will buy it regardless ... VW know they don't need to make an effort to woo their customer base. That's the only explanation for them persisting with those horrible tartan seats in the GTi :eek:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I'm sure feedback from customers will go straight to VW that a 6.6kW should be a standard on E-Golf.

I can't understand how a 6.6kW OBC is a £800ish upgrade over the 3.3kw on the LEAF. Surely the majority of the part would be the same with a few upgraded electronic components.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
They probably still will buy it regardless ... VW know they don't need to make an effort to woo their customer base. That's the only explanation for them persisting with those horrible tartan seats in the GTi :eek:
That's the character of the GTi all the way from the Mk1 and the golf ball gearstick. If you don't like it I'm sure you can find £2000ish to upgrade to the Vienna leather ☺ loadsamoney!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
The Germans are really lagging behind. No heat pump. 24kwh is no better than a leaf, no 7kw etc etc. This is really bad for a car that isn't cheap.
Pretty stunned that this doesn't have a heat pump as standard. Though looking at the specs it's listed as having adaptive cruise control as standard. Why can't they drop that feature and either add the heat pump or lower the price?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but will adaptive cruise control (or emergency braking detection) have to be a standard feature on cars sold in the EU soon?

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
I had the unfortunate experience of having a Golf GTi for a few months, I hated it.

In fairness, I kept comparing it to my old Civic Type-R, and wondered why anyone looking for a hot hatch would have opted for the VW other than the badge.

The Golf had rubbish traction from standstill, was much thirstier round town, sounded nasty, and unlike the Honda kept needing to visit the dealership.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
I had the unfortunate experience of having a Golf GTi for a few months, I hated it.

In fairness, I kept comparing it to my old Civic Type-R, and wondered why anyone looking for a hot hatch would have opted for the VW other than the badge.

The Golf had rubbish traction from standstill, was much thirstier round town, sounded nasty, and unlike the Honda kept needing to visit the dealership.
VW is one of those marques that seem to enjoy particularly strong loyalty from owners who haven't tried anything else, yet believe their cars are special.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but will adaptive cruise control (or emergency braking detection) have to be a standard feature on cars sold in the EU soon?
Not sure, but I believe it help improve NCAP safety ratings, so manufacturers might throw it in as standard feature.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts