Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up our 2nd hand 2012 Volt on Saturday and Motorpoint called today to say it does not come as standard with the fabric load cover (it was missing when we viewed). Because of this they won't source one for when we buy it.

Can any 2012 Volt owners confirm it was standard from Chevy uk? Or..... Is it stashed somewhere in the boot when not used? We looked for it last Saturday with the motor point manager but could not see it in the boot, just the charging evse was in there.

Just need to know to argue about it this Saturday if it doesn't turn up.

Cheers

M

·
Super Moderator
6,389 Posts
Picking up our 2nd hand 2012 Volt on Saturday and Motorpoint called today to say it does not come as standard with the fabric load cover (it was missing when we viewed). Because of this they won't source one for when we buy it.

Can any 2012 Volt owners confirm it was standard from Chevy uk? Or..... Is it stashed somewhere in the boot when not used? We looked for it last Saturday with the motor point manager but could not see it in the boot, just the charging evse was in there.

Just need to know to argue about it this Saturday if it doesn't turn up.

Cheers

M
AFAIC it comes as standard, I looked at at least 3 other Volts when I purchased mine and they all had the Tea towel.
Check out this thread if you want a really posh one……………..
after market parcel shelf

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
The Voltshelf is great, I have to say :)

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Voltshelf is great, I have to say :)
I googled this and found the guys website in the usa. How much did he charge to ship to the UK? My missis will certainly want a vs3. The car already has the GM pouch for the rear seat gap. WTF where GM thinking when they Designed this? Even my old 1983 ford fiesta xr2 had and perfect fitting lifting parcel shelf, and that was the first ever hatchback design I can think of!

M

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I think it's all part of the weight saving in the car, but it's a step too far, I agree. The Voltshelf guy is on these forums, do a search for it and he'll turn up :) Very happy with mine, easy to fit and works a treat, wouldn't be without it.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I like my Voltshelf too, although I still haven't repaired one of the hanging strings that would attach to the tailgate yet, after the clamping clip came off when I installed it - so it doesn't rise with the tailgate. So many other things to do, I just haven't got round to it!

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
To be fair, I like the trampoline. If you have luggage that's above the level, it accommodates it, whereas a shelf either rises up the window or won't let the boot shut.

·
Registered
109 Posts
It was fitted as standard to my 2013 Volt, which was also from Motorpoint.

The surprising omission for me was the warning triangle. I was going to go back and complain to Motorpoint about that, but then discovered that it is an optional extra!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I must say I have come to appreciate the cloth cover. When I first saw it I thought it was horrible and cheap, but now I have carried a few large loads I like how easily it can be stowed away compared to a great big stiff shelf, and how it can stretch over a large load.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ditto to above, I don't think it is that bad an idea. I've struggled to work out where to put the parcel shelf in some previous cars when carrying a larger load than expected. I've even had to have the shelf on the lap of the rear seat passengers on one occasion which was really less than ideal.

I would like a way to cover the gap between the seats at the back and i think i will make something similar to the load cover and just have it velcro'd to the rear seat backs.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
The VoltShelf will lie flat on the base of the boot if you don't need it, i.e. under whatever load you're carrying, which is very convenient. Overall I find it most useful because it lifts up out of the way when you open the boot, and it reduces noise (and ugliness) by covering the gap between the seats. Gets my vote...

·
Registered
13 Posts
What grey shade did you go for? I need to get one of these for the wife.

M
It’s a black shelf which looks fine. The black covering on the close out facing into the car is not as good as real leather would have been had the manufacture fitted it in the same leather as the seats but it’s OK and does the job.

The back of the close out is in grey / charcoal and is not a brilliant colour match but it’s in the boot and therefore not seen very often.

It fits OK with the oddments box in the back of the 2013 models.

If you have any tall loads you can put it on the boot floor as its made to fit as a base.

I bought it for ascetic reasons and to make the whole car more ‘complete’. I’ve adapted it a bit with Velcro on the close out and spring slider buttons (like you get on an anorak hood cord) on the holding / lifting cord.

Just a pity GM didn’t complete the car with all this in the first place but enjoyment of the car to date makes up for any grumbles in this area.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Merry Christmas, everyone! I've been so busy making VoltShelves over here that I've been ignoring you chaps for a while. There are quite a few of them over your way now and I am grateful to all of you for your positive comments about your VoltShelves. One or two of you also now have my new VoltMat boot liner. I hope you like that as well.

Some of you like the trampoline that comes with the car. I understand, but stand with Richard on the idea that it makes the car much more complete. The hidden benefit is that it quiets noise for the rear of the car down substantially as you are driving.

On another note, I am about to announce the VoltShelf 3.1. I've made a number of small improvements in the past month or so that I want to designate this as an overall improved model. New templates for an even better fit, a better grade of carpeting for more UV resistance and softer feel, improved paint on the brackets that support the rear of the VS 3, better lifting strings.... No one thing makes it that much better, but the combination of all of these does. The last few that crossed the pond have most or all of these improvements, btw.

If you haven't found the website yet, it is VoltShelf.weebly.com and if anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to ask. In the meantime, I'll be in my VoltShop!

Steve

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Hi Steve, Happy New Year! My Voltshelf is installed and looking good in my Ampera these days, I repaired the string clamp that came apart (as we discussed at the time) using much more robust crimped connectors, and so it sits there now, quietening the back end a little and hiding what's in the boot. I've still got the trampoline folded up in the 'net' I keep in the boot, for times when I'm carrying items that are too tall for the Voltshelf.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Excellent on all fronts, Mike. I'm glad the string fix worked! You won't need to get your net cover out very often, if ever. Enjoy you quiet, better looking Ampera! If you have larger items, just put the shelf on the trunk floor and load up. Generally, you won't have them in there for long, and the net won't even go over larger stuff anyways. By the way, several of you chaps have decided that your particular items should be called "AmperaShelves." and I agree!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts