Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok its a slow day, just wanted to hear your thoughts. Theres no point to this thread, theres no agenda, just sharing throughts.

I preface this with the fact that I love the model 3 and it is my dream car that I am soon to own, but thats not to say I can't be critical. The more you study something with the intention of buying, the more you notice its subtleties.
There are times and angles where it looks as slick as anything out there. The front in particular I like, almost porsche like. The flat side on profile however, much like my mrs , doesn't enhance compliment its shape very well.
From the rear however I am less sure. at times it looks like a TT and other times a cross between a Prius and a Mondeo. I am not quite sure how to quantify or put my finger on what it is about the shape that , in my eye leaves it a little short of other premium german cars that look expensive. Maybe there are fewer curves or the minimal exterior look is jarring because we are not used to seeing it, im not quite sure.
Talking to a friend he said to me, he doesn't really look twice if he see's one, unless he sees the badge, it looks to him like a ford mondea or something generic. I do see where he is coming from at times.
So I what are your thoughts?

This Image, it looks super sexy.

This image, not so much.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I really like the side profile of Tesla models, including the Model 3. It's sleek, it's minimalistic, aerodynamic - I'd go as far to say "sexy". But I don't personally think photos do this car any justice, from any angle. I think it's a nice-looking vehicle in person, not so much in photos.

The rear is fairly bland and non-descript, but by no means ugly. I actually dislike the rear of most cars, whereas I find the Model 3's rear inoffensive. I can spot Teslas from a mile off, they're distinctive and unique enough in my view. But I'm a Tesla-geek. I'm glad it doesn't look distinctive in the wrong way.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rear is fairly bland and non-descript, but by no means ugly. I actually dislike the rear of most cars, whereas I find the Model 3's rear inoffensive.
This is probably a good description actually, and fair, There are not many rears that stand out as attractive to me. (that sounded wrong).

·
Registered
174 Posts
It is only when we start driving a car daily that we start noticing various nuances. And to me, colour and wheel choice plays a part in how any car looks overall. Put it this way - there is nothing else out there that I would rather be seen in.

·
Registered
9,008 Posts
I love the front (see Porsche but also Renault Floride for reference) but I find myself slightly bemused as other M3s overtake me on the motorway. The effect of the provision of a boot and not a hatchback is to make the rear window very high up, which has the effect of making it look as though it is looking down its nose at you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Interestingly the front view is the only one I don't like. While I concur the swooping curves and low bonnet look Porsche like, the cab seems too tall in comparison. Thankfully I don't care how ugly it is, what colour it is, what wheels it has (though strangely I do like the grey aero colours on my black car). It's still the best car I have ever owned in any way, bar perhaps the solidity of the build.

It helps thats I got given one of the performance lite instead the the LR AWD I ordered, c'est la vie 😁

·
Registered
595 Posts
so whats an offensive car design ? :LOL:
The Fiat Multipla. That's an offense to the eyes!

The looks of any car are of course subjective. I love the looks of the Model 3.

But I didn't at first. At first I found the the discontinuity of line from the bonnet/wings to the windscreen ungainly, and as has been mentioned above that the glasshouse seems a bit too tall over the waistline (something the Fiat Multipla really suffered badly!!! But also I always found the Mercedes W204 C-class to suffer from this).

Over time I've got used to those things and other things have come up in my appreciation of the looks - the proportions of length-to-wheelbase, and how effectively tesla achieved a very cab-forward design without it looking monospace (park a BMW 3 series and a Tesla model 3 with their noses up against the same wall - the Tesla driver will be about a foot closer to the wall than the BMW driver). I love the flares of the front wings, and the "muscular" haunches - it gives a feeling of the body wrapped tight over the mechanicals.

Ultimately there's no point in comparing the model 3 to the fiat multipla though because they fulfill different roles -The Model 3 compares well within its class - the 3 series, XE, S60, C class, A4, etc. I prefer it to most of those. Is it the best looking car ever ever ever? No. But what each person thinks is is different.

·
Registered
272 Posts
As somebody who currently owns a BMW i3, and in the past owned a bug eyed Subaru Impreza I am not sure I am qualified to comment on how cars look, but IMHO the Model 3 is quite a bland, non-descript car that looks awkward from some angles. I have yet to see a picture of one that makes it look anywhere near sexy.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Looks much like a Gen 1 Leaf to me complete with its bug eyes.
It's that big ipad thing you have to use to control it that would worry me.

·
Registered
595 Posts
It's that big ipad thing you have to use to control it that would worry me.
That makes it sound like you drive it from the screen.

Having had both a leaf 24 and the 3 I can tell you that the 3 is much less distracting to use most functions then the leaf was. The screen is more legible, way more responsive and the voice commands work. There aren't buttons hidden out of view that are hard to find while driving. Neither car is ergonomic perfection, but the 3 is closer.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts