Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking today at the prices for other electric cars able to travel at least 100 miles between charges, is it me or is the leaf 30 still the most cost effective EV?

8 year warranty, well priced and from a manufacturer experienced in EV’s.

Other makes will get better but man6 are still expensive! Yes a 62kw battery is great but so are current prices.

Inthought after COVID my new leaf would plummet but they are still if not more than I paid for mine 1 year ago!

I would personally stick with my 30 untill the market matures some more and other manufacturers bugs are ironed out!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that the Leaf 30 can travel at least 100 miles between charges. I'd say at most. But, yes, it's good value.

I'd argue that the MG5 is better value. Pretty much double the range of the Leaf 30 for under £20k.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry but I can can easily get just over 100 miles even using demist for 5 mins before my journey! That was last week in a very wet d cold Sussex climate!

And on my poor GP’s budget I could only afford a 12k car max!

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking at the Kona or Ioniq they are much more, plus it’s still a Kia at the end of the day! 😂😂😂

·
Super Moderator
853 Posts
Leaf 30 is certainly good for 100 + miles. Mine is unfortunately down a bar so in winter some nursing required if you need all that range. But come summer it'll be do-able again without stress.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking at the Kona today is 200 miles really work the 30k?

I just thought the electric car market would be in a better place by now when I first saw the e-up last year, but they seem to have discontinued that due to political reasons and their aint many 100 mile cars about at a good price.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Plus - anyone that knows EV's would think twice about buying a 2020 - 2021 model that's been sat about at high or low SOC for months.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Sorry but I can can easily get just over 100 miles even using demist for 5 mins before my journey! That was last week in a very wet d cold Sussex climate!

That's funny, because I could only just scrape 100 miles in a Leaf 40 in the worst conditions.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well if your saying I'm lying I'm not! Thats the range I had last week on a wet and cold week - yes no heating only to delist when needed, but its the truth.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Well if your saying I'm lying I'm not! Thats the range I had last week on a wet and cold week - yes no heating only to delist when needed, but its the truth.
I'm not accusing, we're just coming from slightly different paradigms. I think the Leaf 30 is great value for a used EV for around the £10k mark. I think many people would struggle to get 100 miles of real world range in winter, so I assume that you're not driving at 70mph with the heating on.

Lots of people seemed to be struggling to get more than 100 miles out of EVs with bigger batteries in the recent cold weather. Like I said, a couple of winters ago I only just managed to get from Norwich to Stansted in a Leaf 40 (at 70mph with the heat on) before limping to Birchanger on 3%. About 95 miles.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not accusing, we're just coming from slightly different paradigms. I think the Leaf 30 is great value for a used EV for around the £10k mark. I think many people would struggle to get 100 miles of real world range in winter, so I assume that you're not driving at 70mph with the heating on.

Lots of people seemed to be struggling to get more than 100 miles out of EVs with bigger batteries in the recent cold weather. Like I said, a couple of winters ago I only just managed to get from Norwich to Stansted in a Leaf 40 (at 70mph with the heat on) before limping to Birchanger on 3%. About 95 miles.
70 mph! Good lord no!!!! I do a nice 60-70 along the A24 daily, which luckily in the South we don't have real cold, the rain is appalling.

And remember Im a little chilly at the end with no heating - but to see my distance travelled prior to my charge fills me with joy!!!!!

I was disappointed with the Leaf 40 range when I had it as a hire car while mine was having 2 cells replaced, it really was not that far off the 30 if driven carefully I thought - maybe I expected more.

Im sure the 62 is a whole other beast tho, but I still feel the 30 is just the best real workable EV for people that are not wanting to drop 20 K on a car. Yes 62 kw is great but its not 10K great!

Reactions: Petriix

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
The world has moved on since the leaf 64 let alone the the 30!
That a 38kwh ioniq can come close to a 64kwh leaf in terms of real life range speaks volumes.
This new airiya better be the best thing since sliced toast or Nissan will go under faster than Ford.
10 year head start utterly squandered other than a new battery and inverter the current leaf is barely any better than the original, its little more than the changing of a few body panels and a cheaper to produce dashboard.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I think only twice have I ever managed 100+ miles from my Leaf 30, driving at 60-65mph on the motorway.

Saying that my SOH is plummeting at a fair old rate since it hit 3 years old, I'd be lucky to manage 80 miles at the moment in the summer.

For me the Leaf was a great first EV, but I wouldn't buy another one. Not a 30 anyway. Between the battery degradation, the ever increasing frequency that I'm having to lubricate the squeaking mirrors, the dated head unit + maps, and a number of other little niggles, I definitely regret not returning it at the end of my PCP.

Still, if you're happy with yours, good for you, don't let me piss on your fire, it's just that my cynical self says that they're not necessarily "best value", they potentially "cheap for a reason".

·
Registered
650 Posts
I’ve never seen anywhere near 100 miles (as in always much more) from my Soul 30kWh. I generally drive country roads and in that environment it is good for high 120’s in winter and 135-145 the other 3 seasons. Peak driving conditions over 150 is possible even. When I have driven on the motorway at 60-70, I had the heat on and off and it was partly wet. Still covered 80 miles on just over half a battery.

I’m averaging 4.8 miles per kWh in over a years driving.

The Soul is more like £14,000-£15,000 than £10,000 I admit, but owning a Leaf too, I think it’s significantly better. On top of that, as a used buyer there is the whole car 7 year warranty, and servicing is much cheaper than the Leaf. Major is £99 and minor £58 at a main dealer.

Also with Soul spy and an OBD reader SOH is still 100% on my 2017. Obvious there must be some deg, but it’s within the unusable buffer and so invisible.

Our Leaf is at 84% and 11 bars.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,162 Posts
This new airiya better be the best thing since sliced toast or Nissan will go under faster than Ford.
It's an SUV, 'nuff said. Maybe if they had launched it five years ago instead of the LEAF 30. :devilish:

·
Registered
427 Posts
We get 85 miles in the winter, and 110 in summer from our LEAF30 (65plate 60k miles). it’s been great and was the only EV we could afford when we were buying (14k ex-demo at a year old). If buying now, I’d prefer a Soul 30 over a LEAF though for around that price.

edit - for £10k which you can get a LEAF30 - it’s probably more hard to beat.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
As noted above brand new MG5 for 20 grand gives you 214 miles WLTP range and 0-60 in well under 8 seconds.

Plus fully adjustable steering unlike LEAF's rake-only (which matters to lanky gits to me).

"Better value"? I think so.

Not as cheap though.

·
Journeyman Human
521 Posts

Poor GP's budget? Do you mean General Practitioner? If so, something's out of kilter, as I've never met a poor GP before. The GP's at my local surgery are all driving £50k upwards cars and live in really big houses. Maybe it's a northern thing... :unsure:

Anyway, back on topic, the Leaf 30 complete with it's none thermally managed battery is nowhere close to the best budget EV anymore. I'll second the vote for the MG5.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Poor GP's budget? Do you mean General Practitioner? If so, something's out of kilter, as I've never met a poor GP before. The GP's at my local surgery are all driving £50k upwards cars and live in really big houses. Maybe it's a northern thing... :unsure:

Anyway, back on topic, the Leaf 30 complete with it's none thermally managed battery is nowhere close to the best budget EV anymore. I'll second the vote for the MG5.
I know a lot of managers, quantity surveyors, programmers that are paid a lot more than us doctors without the risk Or the decade of training!

Yes that MG is exceptional value! I was thinking more about the seeming gap in the market still for a car in the 12-15k mark that’s all electric.

Reactions: ohit1

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I'm a GP. None of my partners have 50 grand cars but none of us are particularly ostentatious. I have a 20 grand MG and the wife has a 10yr old Honda.

If you're a partner in practice (ie self employed) 100% of the cost of an EV can be used to mitigate tax in the first year of ownership (yay!)

The downside is when you sell it you owe tax on the price you get (boooo!)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts