Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts
Want to get under it and look at the surface rust due to poor undercoating already on that MG5?
Hows the battery balancing malarky panning out after their recent updates to the BMS?
Hows that MG app working out?

Little things add up and the leaf isnt perfect and i dont own one anymore but i will defend it as one of the best cheap Entry EV's currently still around and in good numbers with a solid history as well.

Want to get under it and look at the surface rust due to poor undercoating already on that MG5?
Hows the battery balancing malarky panning out after their recent updates to the BMS?
Hows that MG app working out?

Little things add up and the leaf isnt perfect and i dont own one anymore but i will defend it as one of the best cheap Entry EV's currently still around and in good numbers with a solid history as well.
There have been no BMS updates for the MG5. It doesn't have an app, but it does have an actively cooled battery and 80kW CCS charging. Such badge snobbery is pretty boring. I've not criticised the Leaf, just pointed out that the MG5 offers the lowest price for the range of any (including second hand) EVs.

BMS issue resolved in the ZS and never was an issue in the MG5.

Has taken about 12 balance charges to get mine almost back to full capacity though.

LEAF30 no use to me as its lack of wheel reach adjustment has the steering wheel sitting in my lap.

I think the very latest LEAF 40/62 now have reach adjustment though (40 didn't at first)

Not badge snobbery at all, just pointing out the shortfalls of the MG and what makes it that much cheaper.
The MG5 is cheaper because SAIC are one of the biggest EV manufacturers and have streamlined the production process on a car they've been making for three years already. The missing gadgets and slight corner cutting account for a tiny fraction of the savings.

Tesla have far worse production issues. The genuine criticisms of SAIC are that they are essentially owned by the Chinese state and the heavy reliance on Cobalt in the batteries; none of which impact the quality of the vehicles.

The legacy manufacturers charge more simply because they are still heavily invested in the ICE production lines and have yet to adjust their processes to be anywhere near as efficient.

I don't want to wade too deep in the details of the MG shortfalls as I have no foot to stand on, having not researched it in the slightest

...but... whilst it's great that everyone's quick to defend and correct BMS issues, what about the claims of rust that everyone keeps skipping over? is that it a genuine problem?

whilst it's great that everyone's quick to defend and correct BMS issues, what about the claims of rust that everyone keeps skipping over? is that it a genuine problem?
Genuine? Well there is certainly superficial rust evident at seams and production holes on my white car, though I haven't checked since the summer.

The body panels are all good - zero evidence of 'visible' rust.

Many (but not all) modern cars have fairly iffy underbody corrosion resistance - from the appearance of my car I doubt significant rust problems will occur within perhaps 10 years, but I suspect 20 would be pushing it.

Hands up who plans to keep their new 40kWh EV for >10 years...

41 - 47 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.