Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don't think you would be able to get the same/similar spec as the P45 for £42k!
Don't forget it is AWD and the Premium AWD is £48,900 without any extras the P45 has.
The Namsan edition is probably closer and that is £56,400....

My other half likes the Ora cat as we did see them at Fully charged, Farnborough, but the price is stupidly high, so will be interested to see what the MG4 is like in the flesh and also what the big battery version cost is going to be. If it is under £30k, MG should be onto a winner.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR. Mini Electric on order
1,188 Posts
The Cat is an objectively poor design and the car is uncompetitive in other respects at it’s price point,. Even if neither were true it would be very hard and costly to establish it in the market. MG is a poor comparison: they’ve got brand equity and have been selling Chinese cars through a dealer network for a decade or more. Ora just didn’t do their research. The UK is a surprisingly discerning market.

·
Registered
eNiro 64kWh 2021. Ioniq 38kWh 2020.
1,195 Posts
The Cat is an objectively poor design and the car is uncompetitive in other respects at it’s price point,. Even if neither were true it would be very hard and costly to establish it in the market. MG is a poor comparison: they’ve got brand equity and have been selling Chinese cars through a dealer network for a decade or more. Ora just didn’t do their research. The UK is a surprisingly discerning market.
I can't see how you can say it is objectively poor design. Design is largely subjective, there are dozens of cars which I think look terrible, dull or uninspiring, but that is my subjective view.

It may be objective when related to efficiency, reliability, and a few other factors, but I don't think we know these details yet. Even a few posts here with people saying they don't like it is not objective. Ora have a very low sales target (ultimately 2.5% to 3% market share) and will be bought by people wanting something different or quirky, that probably is not me or other people on this thread.

Reactions: A G C

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
5,540 Posts
I don't think you would be able to get the same/similar spec as the P45 for £42k!
Don't forget it is AWD and the Premium AWD is £48,900 without any extras the P45 has.
The Namsan edition is probably closer and that is £56,400....

My other half likes the Ora cat as we did see them at Fully charged, Farnborough, but the price is stupidly high, so will be interested to see what the MG4 is like in the flesh and also what the big battery version cost is going to be. If it is under £30k, MG should be onto a winner.
Over on the MG Owner's forum, the consensus is that the 4 will start at £26,000 for the 51kWh SE trim (confirmed by a dealer on FB), to £31,000-ish for the 64kWh Trophy trim.

·
Registered
eNiro 4
1,641 Posts
I dont think the Ora Cat is dead…..I just think it’s severely wounded, having shot itself in the foot with what has to go down as a “bungled” launch
They must have known they were not not ready…..still no confirmed Dealers let alone actual cars to be bought

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Over on the MG Owner's forum, the consensus is that the 4 will start at £26,000 for the 51kWh SE trim (confirmed by a dealer on FB), to £31,000-ish for the 64kWh Trophy trim.
If that becomes true then after watching the new Vauxhall Astra 2022 review on Carwow yesterday, that starts at £24k for the base spec 1.2 100 bhp petrol turbo. That is getting pretty close to price parity, any discounts depending on Astra or MG4.

However the starting price for the previous generation Astra was just £19k , so is this becoming a meet in the middle scenario where there are no "Cheap" cars anymore?

·
Super Moderator
Honda CB125R + Bus
12,714 Posts
So what's happening with this supposedly affordable cute little car? Given it's reasonable l repeated delays and stoopid pricing, is it still coming to the UK?
Last post on social media was 14 July. Launch edition pricing £31,995. They probalby will sell out. I don't think GWM are planning on selling large numbers here in 2022.

The top spec Fiat 500 La Prima is slightly cheaper than the stoopid Cat. The 500 is a nice car, especially in the top trim.

·
Super Moderator
Honda CB125R + Bus
12,714 Posts
Look at the current competition:-

VW id3 - £36K
Renault Megane ev - £35K minimum.
Cupra Born - £35K minimum
Vauxhall Mokka-e - £32K minimum.
So.... Does the £32K
Fiat 500 starts at £29,435. Fiat stopped taking orders for the 24kWh base 'Action' trim. There are a handful of unsold new ones around at ~£24k.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
If that becomes true then after watching the new Vauxhall Astra 2022 review on Carwow yesterday, that starts at £24k for the base spec 1.2 100 bhp petrol turbo. That is getting pretty close to price parity, any discounts depending on Astra or MG4.

However the starting price for the previous generation Astra was just £19k , so is this becoming a meet in the middle scenario where there are no "Cheap" cars anymore?
It really is a race to the bottom when a starting Astra is almost £24k

The mk7 Astra (2015-2021) started at £15,295

The problem happens when all manufacturers think they are now "premium" and expect the money associated.

·
Registered
Kia soul maxx Jan 22
276 Posts
December 2020 - £8k

Aug 2022 - £12.5k

View attachment 165125
Let's hope the spring gets to the UK in the not to distant future

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
December 2020 - £8k

Aug 2022 - £12.5k

View attachment 165125
My Dad's mate has a Duster. Often, he found a toilet roll on the roof aerial and didn't understand why... Cos it's sheeet, lol. Even his wife hated it 😆

PS Not my opinion as I'll drive anything as long as it's cheap, lol.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR. Mini Electric on order
1,188 Posts
can't see how you can say it is objectively poor design. Design is largely subjective, there are dozens of cars which I think look terrible, dull or uninspiring, but that is my subjective view.
I’m not a car designer, but I have studied product design. As a designer you’re taught about volumes, proportions, how lines resolve, how cars sit on their wheels, stance, etc. I’d say the Cat is objectively odd looking because it has no balance, few of its details link to each other and it ends up looking like a pastiche of a handful of different existing designs. It’s not alone in looking objectively grim - BMW are doing their best to throw 60 years of well resolved design down the toilet with some of their latest models (iX being the most heinous).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Confirmed. Got an email from MG yesterday confirming that the base spec MG4 is £25,995, LR edition at £28,495 and to trim Trophy model at £31,495. Looks like MG will wipe the market at this price point. At least that is until BYD bring their cars to the UK.

Sent from my M2102J20SG using Tapatalk

21 - 39 of 39 Posts