Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
I literally just watched this video a few minutes ago. I'm not happy with how long it takes before it even hinted it even had an alarm. Best to leave ABSOLUTELY NOTHING on show in the car because the 7 seconds it takes to brick a window and steal a bag/laptop etc wouldn't even matter to a thief

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,628 Posts
The car noticing a change in weight on the suspension is highly dubious. I can't see any similarity to throwing a cushion at the car and a brick. I would not expect the alarm to be set off by that or by someone bumping against it, a vehicle hitting it is different. I think someone is just trying to get views.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car noticing a change in weight on the suspension is highly dubious. I can't see any similarity to throwing a cushion at the car and a brick. I would not expect the alarm to be set off by that or by someone bumping against it, a vehicle hitting it is different. I think someone is just trying to get views.
So what sets the alarm off then??

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
It's pretty sensitive internally - so much so that if you get a spider in there you'll know about it.. repeatedly..

I suspect an actual collision would set it off.. but a bit of rocking? I'd rather it didn't go off in that case.

Sentry will have started recording them long before they get in, of course.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
I am not keen on audible alarms as generally just ignored by everyone due to false ones. We had weeks of our Lexus one going off every few days and annoying neighbours, but dealer did eventually give us loan car and fixed.

I don't think Zoe has one and that is fine by me...

Reactions: henryv

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
More likely if you've been sensible with the contents there's nothing to steal but they'll smash your window then run off before anyone has taken any notice of the alarm anyway.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
The reality is that the risk of someone breaking a window to steal items is very low. Most theft from vehicles is opportunity when doors are left unlocked. Below is an interesting report.

Reactions: DanPaul and henryv

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
I suppose having your car stolen must be the biggest blow?
That isn't likely with most modern cars if you avoid or mitigate relay attack risk. Car thefts have increased in past few years but are way down from 80s and 90s (see report).

A lot of thefts of high end cars involve breaking and entering house to get keys. Often a good idea to just leave in hall to avoid risk of violence...

Reactions: Tooks and henryv

·
Registered
338 Posts
I recently had my wheel repaired. The car was parked on my driveway, locked, but with Sentry off. As soon as the guy started to raise the car on the jack, it triggered the alarm. So it's pretty sensitive to movement, even if Sentry is not active.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have cameras on our drive and have seen an undesirable walk from house to house trying car doors. He went straight past my neighbour with a Tesla but tried my ice car doors. Fast forward a year and I now have a Tesla too and another neighbour reported his car had been rifled through. They didn’t come on our drive.
I think a lot of thieves will be wary of sentry mode and pick easier targets.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi everyone.
What are your thoughts on the alarm sound (loud music), personally i don't think it indicates a vehicle under attack more likely some younger person who likes their music very loud. Sure it will draw peoples attention but for the wrong reason.
I also suspect that that loud music will deplete the 12V battery much quicker than say a pulsating tone.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
People ignore car alarms because 99% of the time it's false activation. I suspect loud music actually gets more attention.

House alarms are going the same way for much the same reason - lots of new systems have no external bell.. they notify the owner and/or the police instead.

·
Registered
32 Posts
People ignore car alarms because 99% of the time it's false activation. I suspect loud music actually gets more attention.

House alarms are going the same way for much the same reason - lots of new systems have no external bell.. they notify the owner and/or the police instead.
I agree Tony, however I feel something more subtle to aggravate the intruder & a call to the app or a email to make the owner aware would be far more appropriate.

·
Registered
555 Posts
A notification to the app would be a great addition.
When I left my teenage children in the car and walked off with my phone (key), I forgot about the alarm. I think the very loud rock music is a great deterrent. The car also sent a message to the Tesla app on my phone.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When I left my teenage children in the car and walked off with my phone (key), I forgot about the alarm. I think the very loud rock music is a great deterrent. The car also sent a message to the Tesla app on my phone.
Ah!!
Was the notification to your phone almost 'immediate'?
Have your children forgiven you yet?o_O

1 - 20 of 29 Posts