Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

· Registered
9,341 Posts
Love that curve... makes a lot of sense given my experiences.

I would say we are still in the Technology Trigger but nearing the top. I would say that a lot of the early adopters have now bought but there are still a few still to come with PHEV vehicles. Supplier proliferation is just starting with many manufacturers now launching one or more plug-in vehicles, there is still a lot of EV-related products yet to hit the market. Supplier consolidation is yet to start.

· Administrator
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 · (Edited)
So we have just returned from the same 2500 mile trip to Lake Guards as last year but this time through France. This year the Ev's spotted were as follow
1X Golf GTE
1X Zoe
1X Volt
2X Ampera
7X model S
15X Outlander

It seems PHEV and long range BEV's are starting to make in roads

· Registered
Hyundai Kona Premium SE in Galactic Grey
263 Posts
Ordered Outlander expected next month, but petty much every time we tell anyone about our new car, we inevitably get the same response - 'not planning doing any long journeys anymore?' or something similar. Oh, and everyone thinks they're the first one to have cracked that 'joke'! If it takes big beasts like the PHEV Outlander being seen plugged in to help eliminate that sort of mindset, then great. The more, and the sooner, we can normalise any and every form of EV, then the more chance there is of shifting that mindset!

· Super Moderator
8,516 Posts
People just don't get it sometimes. I remember talking to a neighbour about my plugin Prius:
"So what mpg does it do then?"
"I'm getting a tank average of over 90mpg"
"Oh, my diesel does over 60mpg on a good run"
"Oh, well mine is not just on a run, it'll do over 90mpg just going to the shops or going to work"
"But mine does 60 on a run"
As though fuel economy only matters on "a run".

· Registered
590 Posts
Ordered Outlander expected next month, but petty much every time we tell anyone about our new car, we inevitably get the same response - 'not planning doing any long journeys anymore?' or something similar. Oh, and everyone thinks they're the first one to have cracked that 'joke'! If it takes big beasts like the PHEV Outlander being seen plugged in to help eliminate that sort of mindset, then great. The more, and the sooner, we can normalise any and every form of EV, then the more chance there is of shifting that mindset!
I live in Essex, they're everywhere. I'm sure the tipping point will be soon here.

· Registered
225 Posts
I know there is a lot of negativity about the Mistu PHEV but...Mine is parked right next to our goods in / out roller door where the charge point is and I must have 20 conversations a week with people about it from all over Europe as they come in and out. For what is, ultimately, a fairly boring car that's not a bad amount of interest. You dont get that with the company's 5-series etc. Hopefulyl all goes to show that the awareness is out there and maybe growing

· Registered
590 Posts
It's a fantastic selling point, as the main complaint of the Chelsea tractor lot was environmental damage. Now, the mums of Essex can drive Chardonnay to school in their new white 4x4 guilt free. I saw five on the way to work today (10 miles), it's the new Evoque.
It's not a bad thing, as anything that gets the message out is excellent.

· Registered
Hyundai Kona Premium SE in Galactic Grey
263 Posts
I know there is a lot of negativity about the Mistu PHEV but...Mine is parked right next to our goods in / out roller door where the charge point is and I must have 20 conversations a week with people about it from all over Europe as they come in and out. For what is, ultimately, a fairly boring car that's not a bad amount of interest. You dont get that with the company's 5-series etc. Hopefulyl all goes to show that the awareness is out there and maybe growing
They are becoming a bit more apparent here in Edinburgh, but not hugely so. I think I see a bit more around my area as the dealer is just a couple of miles up the road, so a more local feel to the transaction. I was the Scottish Government HQ, St Andrew's House, the other day and noticed for the first time that they have a couple of very prominent EV bays at the front door with a rapid charger. I asked the very senior civil servant about them and he was very vague and admitted that he could not recall seeing a car use them, he could not tell me if any of the Ministerial cars were EVs (missed trick methinks if not!) or if I would be able to use them when coming to subsequent meetings! Speaks volumes really!

· Banned
635 Posts
Don't underestimate the impact that the demonisation of the diesel engine will have on the sales of low emission cars, particularly PHEVs.
All the large car makers are concerned about this and their efforts to satisfy the Euro 6, new real world tests, have a way to to go yet.
Boris may be moving on from the mayoralty of London but I think it would be a mistake to think that his policies designed to outlaw the diesel will go away with him !

61 - 71 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.