Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Is the tipping point in view?

7K views 70 replies 21 participants last post by  Mercedes 350e 
#1 ·
We have just returned from our annual holiday to Lake Guarda in Northern Italy, a trip of about 2500 miles including driving whilst there. We always go in our Transporter as being a family of Celiacs we bring home a years supply of pasta etc so need a the space.

In the 7 years we have driven, we have never seen an EV, not one! until this year.
In England both ends of the trip where too dark so don't know what we passed.
In France, Switzerland and Italy however we spotted…….
1 Zoe
1 Tesla Roadster
2 Amperas
5 Model S's
and 11 Outlanders.

IMO Tesla and Mitsubishi seem to have got the pricing and products that we want. When will others follow suit and give us cars that compete with an ICE on a like for like basis?
If the Outlander in particular continues to sell as it has in the last few months I think that the mistic tipping point might actually be in sight:)

#2 ·
Audi A3 e-Tron plug-in hybrid should be out soon. I'm sure those will sell.

The eGolf goes on sale soon and the Mercedes comes to the UK early next year.

Were all the outlanders you spotted PHEVs??? Mitsubishi has been selling the non-ev version for years. There are a few on Anglesey.

#5 ·
Audi A3 e-Tron plug-in hybrid should be out soon. I'm sure those will sell.

The eGolf goes on sale soon and the Mercedes comes to the UK early next year.

Were all the outlanders you spotted PHEVs??? Mitsubishi has been selling the non-ev version for years. There are a few on Anglesey.
VW Audi too expencive when compaired with their ICE brothers.

Yep every one an EV, the big EV on the front wings is easy to spot even at an combined speed of 170 MPH, if I could not spot it I didnt count it so you could say at least 11, and over half of them I saw in towns or parked up.

#3 ·
I think that as convincing models in every category (small/compact/familly sedan/executive/hatchback/MPV/SUV etc...) become available at a competitive price to the ICE version, then the movement will accelerate.

I think it's going to be like the adoption of diesel alongside petrol engines in cars. At first it was seen to be sensible only to hypermilers and taxis. As the technology improved and the price premium got smaller, it spread to more and more models. Diesel is now very widespread in every segment save for super-cars.

#4 ·
IMO we are no where near any kind of tipping point yet. EVs and PHEVs are certainly becoming more popular and more common but it is still such a small percentage of total car sales that it is still almost insignificant in the scale of things overall.

The tipping point is still a long way off IMO but I am still convinced it will happen... just more slowly than most people expect.

#8 ·
I don't agree... I think that there is still a real and genuine chance that EVs may not break through and if they do then it will be a quite a long time in coming.

IMO it depends on when the battery and charging technology gets developed to allow manufacturers to deliver the real-world range and speed of charging that the public want at a price they are prepared to pay. At the moment the technology is not there. It is currently fine for us early adopters but not there yet for the general public IMO. When it is, and manufacturers launch cars with that tech and the charging is in place, then and only then do I see EVs picking up serious traction in the market. That is a very long way off and until then I see EVs selling in dribs and drabs albiet increasing numbers.

I could see PHEVs becoming quite popular though.

#9 ·
I could see PHEVs becoming quite popular though.
I have to say I take anything with a plug as an EV and therefore the Outlander is the car that IMO is making the most progress towards changing peoples opinions.
Mitsibushi have got the price correct and given the choice, for most peoples driving requirement why would they pay the same money for a diesel when the EV is cheaper and better to drive.

The most important thing is its a car first and an EV second.

#10 ·
It is important IMO that we do distinguish between BEVs and PHEVs so people actually understand the differences.

Mitsibushi have got the price correct and given the choice, for most peoples driving requirement why would they pay the same money for a diesel when the EV is cheaper and better to drive.
If they did few short trips and used the car mostly for long trips then I could imagine that the diesel version might be more economical. I haven't done the maths but without the use of the battery then the mpg is not so good.

PHEVs and EVs are not suitable for everyone just yet.

#14 ·
But the very best thing about PHEVs is that you never have to worry about where to charge or hang around service areas waiting. You just drive and that is what people want... a car you just drive and don't have to plan like an Everest expedition every time you want to drive over 100 miles!

Don't misunderstand me though... IMO 100% electric cars will still sell but in smaller numbers until the BEV experience is more like the PHEV experience.

#15 ·
Yeah, and for some people a gen 1 leaf is fine (my friend and neighbour has only used a rapid charger once, to get the car home. He just doesn't need to go further than 60 miles), for some people 150 miles will be the sweet spot and for some it's 400 miles. They can make that choice when buying and a PHEV helps them make that choice.

In a way the 400 mile EV will make things easier to understand. 400 miles is about 100kwh, £10-£12ish at home, versus a petrol/diesel car where that might be anything from £30 for a 70mpg supermini to £100 for a large engined car.

Also, I don't personally see PHEV sales being higher than BEV once the Model 3 is on sale, I am convinced it will be a massive hit.

#17 ·
Also, I don't personally see PHEV sales being higher than BEV once the Model 3 is on sale, I am convinced it will be a massive hit.
Depends what you mean by "massive".

I too think the gen 3 Tesla will be quite popular as far as BEVs go but it will be far, far too expensive for most people if it comes in at the £35k that has been touted. £25k might do the trick but IMO even that is probably too much. Not everyone can afford that kind of money on a car or wants to spend it.

I am sure it will become one of the more popular BEVs but it will still be very much a niche market IMO.

Reactions: Eunicholas
#16 ·
PHEV will be the next big thing, if only for emission control. It will ease more people into BEV, as will Model 3, but unless there are dramatic chances in infrastructure and legislation, I can't see a tipping point coming for at least another 15 years.

#18 ·
racfoundation.wordpress.com/2013/04/12/number-of-vehicles-in-uk-hits-new-high/

28.7 million cars on UK roads at the end of 2012.

Are we up to 10,000 ev's yet? 0.01 of a million!

Does give a sense of quite how far we have to go and the sheer number of batteries etc needed if we all want to keep our cars.

No wonder Elon is building a giga factory....

#20 ·
As Elon Musk said, even if all cars produced now were electric, it would take 20 years to "electrify the fleet".

Have to consider used cars too, once the new cars have improved and people move on to those, the used fleet is ever more attractive. It's not like people seeing a new model or a new variation, people are seeing a new technology, you can't calculate it in the same way as a new version of a current tech. Like when smart phones suddenly took off, eople were still buying phones, but they were ditching the old tech pretty quick when they saw the perceived benefits of the new. I think it will go faster than some are predicting.

Yes it will take several years, but it will grow at a good rate I'm sure.

One of the main problems now is hardly anyone will try to sell you an EV (person or company) you have to go out of your way to pick one. That's got to change.

#21 ·
I went into dealerships to look at EVs - 2 years ago for me, and 3 months ago for partner. The experience was:

Vauxhall - very little interest in selling us an Ampera (from 3 different dealers) - they all had one, but it was "over there", and that was about the level of interest
BMW - BRILLIANT... the dealership in MK had an "i man", who knew everything about the car, and was really excited about it
Mercedes (electric Smart) - treated it like a gimmick, no real interest in selling it
Renault - pretty good, we got to druve a Zoe (and hated it)

I'm dying to get my hands on the A3 e-tron...

#22 ·
BMW gave us the best dealer experience by far. Nevertheless we are driving a LEAF . . .

We had an invitation to an Audi hosted A3 e-tron launch event but it was far away.

Have you tried the VWs? Our local dealer won't have the EVs for a few more months, but I'd think there would be some in Milton Keynes.

When the B Class E-Cell shows up, I'd think the Mercedes dealers will stop treating EVs like a gimmick.

Tipping point? I predict EVs and PHEVs will account for over 1% of new car sales by the end of 2015.

#24 ·
By "average" I assume you mean taking the models and their prices. If you take the average price paid by cars sold then I am pretty sure it won't be anything like as high as £27k.

IMO I think we should all be very careful at quoting stats. Unless you clearly explain what you mean by the stat it is pretty much useless and can be highly misleading.

I know there are loads of cars sold at higher prices but I am considering what the average Joe Public is likely to spend and that is way below £35k IMO. If you think that most people would be able to afford or willing to spend in the BMW 3 series price bracket then I think that you should get out and talk to more people out there that are not already EV converts. People generally spend a lot less on cars that we EV early adopters do.

In fact, I would guess that the majority wouldn't buy new anyway.

#25 ·
#26 ·
As I thought... the "average" you speak of is not taking into account numbers sold... just the models available. That figure is pretty meaningless in this discussion IMO as it does not reflect the number sold.

Yes, the fleet market will make a huge difference as the majority of new cars purchased are fleet cars.

The interesting part is that no one knows which way it will go and it will be interesting to see how things develop. :)

#27 ·
I'm going to build a fence here and sit on it..

I don't think the point has tipped, but argue we are tipping as we speak. The tipping action itself might be slow and protracted, and might even lose momentum occasionally - but something is definitely changing in the air. @Paul_Churchley recently mocked me for declaring myself not to be an early adopter. I only took to an EV this June. The thing is I genuinely don't consider myself an early adopter. I was an entirely rational adopter that had been watching for some time until it 'made sense', a pragmatist waiting for my personal tipping point.

The definition I use for early adopter doesn't relate to pure market penetration rates, but one of propensity to buy and motivation. Early adopters will go through inconvenience, pain, lack of utility, bugs, teething issues just to own that technology early, to be right there at the start, part of the innovation process, an electronaut as BMW would call them. The motivation might be environmental, technological, emotional - but it is rarely purely rational.

Those of you that have been owning EVs for three years or even more - building/converting your own, driving quadracyles, jumping into gen 1 LEAFs at significant cost when they were unproven, lack of charging infrastructure etc. Those were the early adopters on the bleeding edge.

The way the market is today with mainstream marques mass producing high quality cars, millions invested in infrastructure - I definitely think we're in different times. Since June two colleagues at work whom I've never discussed EVs with have ordered. One of those didn't even get the advocacy pitch from me! I gave him a lift to a business meeting back in July - he then quietly handed back his cash alternative and went off and ordered a PHEV on the company scheme. For some, EV ownership is becoming a no-brainer - that isn't early adoption territory IMHO.

For myself, I consider myself one of the early majority. A pragmatist that's jumped earlier than the conservative majority. For anyone that knows "Crossing the Chasm", yes you could argue my definition of early adopters are innovators, and I/we are early adopters but it doesn't feel like that in the social groups I move in. The more perceptive individuals in the herd have taken notice and are coming over to join.

#28 ·
Just to be clear... I certainly didn't "mock" @PaulMorris. I simply said he was an early adopter and disagreed with his assessment of what constituted one. I don't mock people.

I stand by my comment to him though... we, all current EV and PHEV owners, are early adopters IMO. Even by Paul's definition we are. We are still very early in the rollout of both EVs and PHEVs. Charging infrastructure is still developing and even changing with no clear definitive charging standards yet. Charging speeds are still slow even at rapid charger speeds and battery energy density is still low with short range when compared to what will be needed in the future to see better market penetration.

So I stick to my statement... IMO everyone that has an EV or PHEV today are all early adopters... the market penetration of EVs/PHEVs is still so small that it is almost insignificant but I do agree... its rate of growth is pretty high.

How can you consider yourself part of an early majority when EVs/PHEVs are such a small percentage of cars sold? You say Paul that "it does feel like" you are an early adopter... fair enough but the figures of those actually buying doesn't back up up. It is easy for people to say they would have one... quite another for them to actually buy.

IMO you are typical of most early adopters... they talk up their decision and fail to recognise that they are quite different from most of the population. We are very different and we would do well not to assume that the general public look at things the way we do. Clearly they don't ... yet! :)

#29 · (Edited)
How can you consider yourself part of an early majority when EVs/PHEVs are such a small percentage of cars sold? You say Paul that "it does feel like" you are an early adopter... fair enough but the figures of those actually buying doesn't back up up. It is easy for people to say they would have one... quite another for them to actually buy.
That's an interesting point. I think part of the problem is perception that EVs currently only provide a good fit to a market niche - though that is changing. With that in mind comparing % of cars sold could be flawed. Just as large mega-corporations like Proctor & Gamble fill the supermarket shelves with so many product variants just to take market share, EVs are in a similar place. A small number of vehicles in a very crowded market - even if people chose vehicles at random EVs would still of course be a tiny minority.

More interesting I think would be to watch Mitsubishi closely with the Outlander, as they have (pretty much) achieved price parity. If you reframe the scenario to take any EV bias out it then becomes: having decided to buy a new Outlander, which one do people buy?

Could be an interesting barometer of where public opinion really is on Rogers' bell curve:
<2.5% = Innovators
<16% = Early Adopters
<50% = Early Majority

#30 ·
My friends say they will never have one Because it dose not have 600 miles of range, I have done 10k in zoe and people still ask me at work if I can drive it around the golf course. Things are picking up but most of people still don't know anything about EV's ,most think of the G-wiz with 30 miles of range, they are very shocked when they see my car I must say. I hope the model e dose not come out at 35k as I will not be able to afford it.

#38 ·
Text Blue Line Font Slope

Year cars sold Cars with plugs
2013 2,260,000 2,448 0.11%
2014 2,260,000 4,896 0.22%
2015 2,260,000 9,792 0.43%
2016 2,260,000 19,584 0.87%
2017 2,260,000 39,168 1.73%
2018 2,260,000 78,336 3.47%
2019 2,260,000 156,672 6.93%
2020 2,260,000 313,344 13.86%
2021 2,260,000 626,688 27.73%
2022 2,260,000 1,253,376 55.46%
2023 2,260,000 2,506,752 110.92%

For the 2013 year it's the actual number of Zoes, Amperas, Volts and Leafs registered. The number then doubles each year.

#32 · (Edited)
We need to remember that with a handful of widely available models available, EVs can't exactly make a splash in the market. There are 6 well known manufacturers who have plugin EVs of some variety in their range :

Nissan : 5.18%
Vauxhall : 11.46%
Mitsubishi : 0.4%
BMW : 6%
Renault : 2%
Toyota : 3.91 %

All together, all models included, they represent less than 30% of the 2013 market and their EVs are only a small fraction of that, available only on a narrow segment of their range. Until that changes (EV drive train available on most models, from most manufacturers) progress will be slow although it might translate into an impressive number of sightings. Mini has less than 3% market share although they seem ubiquitous.

Next year VAG will be a significant addition with EV drive trains available on very popular models (Golf, A3) but until most manufacturers have EV drive trains available on their top best selllers, we won't see quick progress

#34 ·
We need to remember that with a handful of widely available models available, EVs can't exactly make a splash in the market. There are 6 well known manufacturers who have plugin EVs of some variety in their range :

Nissan : 5.18%
Vauxhall : 11.46%
Mitsubishi : 0.4%
BMW : 6%
Renault : 2%
Toyota : 3.91 %
Where did you get those % from? I am sure there are more Toyota hybrids on the road than the rest put together... Or is that overall marketshare?

#33 ·
Agreed, the point I was hinting at earlier is Mr Joe Public doesn't go out simply to buy a 2.2l diesel, a 1.8l petrol, or a 80kW EV. He goes out to buy a car based on aesthetics, branding, utility etc. as force-fed by the slick adverts. The choice of drivetrain tends to be an afterthought. Do you take the petrol, diesel, which engine size etc.

That's why I think the Outlander is an interesting one to watch as it's a window into the public affinity for EVs as it's a virtually no cost drivetrain option. Suggests what might happen when others follow suit in making EV or PHEV an option on a car you wanted to buy anyway, rather than have to go buy something else quirky and special.

#36 ·
I feel I reached a personal tipping point when my first battery capacity bar went.
Our trips to Norfolk which were usually tight in my lovely blue Leaf (one stop in Norwich) now meant charging twice to get to our destination comfortably. So we used the Mini.
No calling ahead to see if the Nissan dealers were open and charger working.
No finding the salesman with key or card.
No moving cars to gain access.
The trip was effortless if not so smooth but a good hour quicker.
So I have tipped over to being realistic about what to expect from my lovely blue Leaf and the odd trip in an ice just confirms how lovely she is.
Ev are not going to take over the world (just yet) and the manufactures don’t have anything to fear by selling them at sensible prices.
And then Ev will find their own level in the market place, which will be considerably higher than it is now.

#41 ·
Sorry, maybe my post wasn't clear. I think the Outlander diesel is overpriced.

I was comparing an Outlander diesel to a BMW X3 diesel. They are about the same size and price. In my opinion the BMW is a much better car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.