Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Play by the king and love is all I bring
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys..

Did a small test for last night's charge of my Zoe and Leaf..

Zoe was put on charge with remaining battery 8%, so 92% charge needed to 100%, = 22.08kWh.
Leaf was put on charge with remaining battery 54%, so 46% charge needed to 100%, = 11.04kWh.

Based on the OLEV meters, the Zoe actually sucked up 25.7kWh during the night, whereas the Leaf used 10.1kWh.

Obviously, the above test is rather crude and not at all scientific. I'll repeat it a few times to collect more examples but, on first glance, can anyone suggest why the Zoe might be eating 3.5kWh of energy more than needed to reach 100% battery level? Climate timer turned off btw.

·
Super Moderator
7,387 Posts
The Zoe battery is 26kwh
The % readings in the car are not the actual SOC.
The cars never fill to 100%, that would be bad for the batteries.
The charger in the Zoe is not very efficient, it wastes a lot of energy.

·
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Zoe Devotee
8,983 Posts
22kw usable capacity (CanZE will show exact usable capacity, mine us 22.8kwh available to use), actual size is 26kwh, saved to protect over charge. Renault dont lie about capacity like Nissan does.

·
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
506 Posts
Wait - isn't yours the R240? I thought it was supposed to be more efficient at lower charging rates now?

·
Zoe Devotee
8,983 Posts
Lower charge rates, read 10a EVSE.

7kw posts or home charge it's very efficient right up to 99%. The last 1% is inefficient in that it can easily use 2.5kwh to balance all the cells.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,983 Posts
Wait - isn't yours the R240? I thought it was supposed to be more efficient at lower charging rates now?
R240 is "supposed" to go 10% further on a charge too but there has been little evidence of that. Is there even a single R240 owner with a 10a EVSE? Or at least one thats charged a low SOC to high SOC?

·
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wait - isn't yours the R240?
Mine is the R240. Again, hardly scientifically proven and here I am comparing apples and oranges again, but I'm very sure it charges to full in less time than my Leaf when charging from roughly the same SOC.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,983 Posts
Isn't that because the Leaf is max 6.6kw on a single phase where as Zoe is 7kw.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,983 Posts
Don't believe blindly what's publishes. Use CanZE to check your usable capacity.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,983 Posts
Not all batteries are exactly the same, perfectly reasonable there may be some 105% packs out there.

·
R240
348 Posts
R240 is "supposed" to go 10% further on a charge too but there has been little evidence of that. Is there even a single R240 owner with a 10a EVSE? Or at least one thats charged a low SOC to high SOC?
Mine doesn't seem different. Certainly not 10% is my impression.

What do you mean by the rest Sandy?

·
Zoe Devotee
8,983 Posts
The point that Zoe is inefficient at charging, is actually on Q210 on 10amp EVSE granny cable. It's fine at charging on 7kw+ posts.

I'm wondering if any R240 owners have checked if their more efficient at lower rates than the Q210.

Last time I evse charged was from 35% to 100% and it's estimate was 12hours. So if any R240 owners can test from a similar level and see if it's quicker.

·
R240
348 Posts
Screenshot_2015-12-07-00-00-38-01.jpeg

Hmm don't have a granny cable. Considering it. Never charged on anything but my home ChargeMaster point. Can you tell from my charge history?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts