Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep seeing hints that Hyundai are moving away from the kona or have I misunderstood? What does this mean for buying a kona? I’m thinking that this will be the car to buy (if I can get over the boot space size), but wonder what it means for the future (this is meant to be a long term purchase).

·
Registered
308 Posts
I don‘t think you’ve misread and Hyundai have just announced a facelifted Kona Electric which has a better cd than the current car because it has a new nose and it loses the plastic cladding on the wheel arches.

What you might be referring to is the fact that Hyundai have just announced a completely new platform and and whole new sub-brand (Ioniq). Their first car on that new platform is called the Ioniq 5. It’s an SUV about the size of a Hyundai Tucson (so a little bigger than a Kona) and it’s unclear at the moment if Ioniq is Hyundai’s upmarket BEV brand - like Genesis for BEVs - or if they will eventually kill off the Hyundai brand completely and as the ICE cars drop away, they will all be replaced by Ioniq branded BEVs. At the moment it’s a bit confused because you have the Hyundai Ioniq and the Ioniq 5 both potentially on sale at the same time. And the Hyundai Kona Electric and Ioniq 5 will be in sale at the same time. On paper the Ioniq 5 will be more expensive as it’s all-wheel-drive (dual motor, 313PS), bigger and faster than the Kona. If you want a Kona, now is a good time to buy. Or wait for the facelift. Or wait for the Ioniq 5.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts