Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There’s a chance I’ll end up using my Ampera for a regular round trip journey that’s slightly beyond EV range, if I’m regularly just tipping into ICE usage, but not by a large amount then I would continually be running the engine, but it never properly warming up, does that matter, does it care ? Will the cool exhaust components rot through, or is it worth running Mountain Mode on the nearly depleted battery to be sure the ICE warms up fully ?
I know the usual advice is to ‘let the car do it’s thing’, but it doesn’t know that you’re gonna repeatedly barely warm the engine up.
I usually imagine there’s an issue when sometimes there isn’t, just wondered what people thought

Thanks

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,673 Posts
I used to hate the engine kicking in when I only had a few hundred yards to go until I reached home or a charger. I'm kind of old school in that I never start an ICE just to move it a few yards, preferring to take it for a bit of a run to warm it up. If I knew that I would definitely need to use the engine then I would start it up either at the start, to get some heat, or mid-journey for several miles until it had warmed up even if it meant arriving home with a few miles left in the battery.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I’ll have to experiment, still love the Ampera, I do wish it had a greater range, Ok for my day to day use at work, just the winter range is a bit pants :(

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I find it annoying that it doesn’t do the final mile on the GOM, ICE kicks in at about half a mile left.

The girlfriend says I let small insignificant things annoy me, I don’t believe her

·
Twin Amperas
69 Posts
I'm definitely in the warm it up fully camp - using mountain mode where required to force it to start earlier to run long enough to heat up...heats the cabin better too...!

·
Premium Member
Electron Summit White NK13...110k 92.7 and rising
185 Posts
The timer on the Engine Maintenance Mode (used when the engine has not run for 45 days) is 10 minutes, so that is probably a good guide to minimum desirable run time.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro First Edition 2019
71 Posts
The timer on the Engine Maintenance Mode (used when the engine has not run for 45 days) is 10 minutes, so that is probably a good guide to minimum desirable run time.
Curiously, I found the EMM on my Ampera would last noticeably less that 10 minutes - probably even less than 5. The prompt message would say 10 minutes, but the count from 0-100% would tick past much faster than that.

·
Premium Member
Electron Summit White NK13...110k 92.7 and rising
185 Posts
Curiously, I found the EMM on my Ampera would last noticeably less that 10 minutes - probably even less than 5. The prompt message would say 10 minutes, but the count from 0-100% would tick past much faster than that.
Could it be that US minutes are more fickle than than good old reliable British Imperial minutes? ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts