Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all , my zoe will have been in the Renault garage 4 weeks next week with ac problems (no gas in system) they have replaced the ac pump/ unit , regassed then it leaked, then put dye in it, found the leak , replaced a seal or seals, then to test it all out borrow a 'special fuse' off another car but 'its not exactly right fuse' but they tested the ac and the cabin heat and it all tests out fine now, apparently aircon works, cabin heats up and there is no more leak.
They don't want to release it until they get a 'proper fuse' the right one for my zoes ac system and they cannot source this 'special fuse' in Ireland anywhere so have had to specially order it in from Renault in the UK ... but its a bank holiday in UK on Monday (not here in Ireland) so they should get this special fuse in on Tuesday , then it will all be repaired and ac and heating all working as it should.
Now, I am so willing to be proved wrong and I shouldnt be so sceptical but is there such a thing as a 'special fuse' for the ac pump or am I being paranoid that I am now being fobbed off in some way and mucked about?
I thought all fuses were in the glove compartment ? I should imagine there is also a fuse box in the 'engine' compartment too as my wife's clio has a fusebox in the engine compartment too .. but all these fuses just look like normal fuses (10a red blade fuses and the like and then larger 30a fuses in the engine compartment fuse box) so what I really would like to know to rest my mind is if there is indeed a 'special fuse' on the compressor circuit of the Renault zoe 2013 22kW car that would be hard to get hold of and has to be ordered in specially ?
Many thanks.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,421 Posts
Yes, the compressor has separate fuses as it is powered from the HV bus. For your car they are located in the BCB. First drawing here https://canze.fisch.lu/bcb-pictures/ that little hatch just to the right of the black connector marked 'signal connector'. That hatch is actually used to check proper isolation between the HV bus and chassis after working on HV parts.

Those fuses are most certainly not your run of the mill ones. Which of course is no excuse for Renault not having them in a reasonable time.

So far for unwarranted skepticism. ;)

BTW you are not correct re. the other fuses either. There are tons more under the bonnet. Admittedly quite a bit harder to spot.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the compressor has separate fuses as it is powered from the HV bus. For your car they are located in the BCB. First drawing here BCB pictures that little hatch just to the right of the black connector marked 'signal connector'. That hatch is actually used to check proper isolation between the HV bus and chassis after working on HV parts.

Those fuses are most certainly not your run of the mill ones. Which of course is no excuse for Renault not having them in a reasonable time.

So far for unwarranted skepticism. ;)

BTW you are not correct re. the other fuses either. There are tons more under the bonnet. Admittedly quite a bit harder to spot.
Thank you very much for the reply @yoh-there , ah right so I was wrong thinking that I was being fibbed to then. its just one thing after another and been in the garage for ages first leak, then compressor replaced, then still leaks from seals , then to be told that a special fuse was needed and that it had to be ordered in I was just feeling i was being mucked about .
So would the fuse(s) for the compressor be rated 400vac 40amp then?
No wonder when i was checking with PyRen to see if there was gas in the ac system it showed up

ECU : 11119 X10-X98-X87-X52ClimBoxGen1_0000_04_A
Screen : DE (STD_B) -> DF130 (91A702) TABLEAU DE COMMANDE 1.DEF MEMO
RISED

1.DEF : Open circuit, short circuit to earth or short circuit to +12V

PR044 KILOMETRAGE DERNIERE APPARITION DU DEFAUT 48475 km

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,421 Posts
Welcome :)

From memory it's around that current rating yes. There is a difference between the R and Q models though. From memory (but don't hold it against me) the R models have slightly higher rated fuses, and so maybe different compressors too, but who knows, could be a simple adjustment made on real life feedback.

As for @cah197 's question, it really could have been anything. A worst case scenario would be fuse blown, misdiagnosed as a bad compressor, replaced, but then a leak (AC system leaks can be awfully hard to detect after working on it. Or a miswired compressor blew the fuse. Caveat 1: I am NOT suggesting any of this was what happened; what I am trying to say is: not enough info. Even then, vacuuming tends to close up dodgy seals, so no vac loss, only to develop a tiny leak when the system is pressurized. My personal stance is: once an AC system is touched, it will never be the same again. Caveat 2: this mostly based on dinosaur burning cars with axle seals. ZOE really should be better with it's sealed compressor. Then again, her plumbing is much more complicated.

No I don't think you'd notice a 40A fuse bang.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome :)

From memory it's around that current rating yes. There is a difference between the R and Q models though. From memory (but don't hold it against me) the R models have slightly higher rated fuses, and so maybe different compressors too, but who knows, could be a simple adjustment made on real life feedback.

As for @cah197 's question, it really could have been anything. A worst case scenario would be fuse blown, misdiagnosed as a bad compressor, replaced, but then a leak (AC system leaks can be awfully hard to detect after working on it. Or a miswired compressor blew the fuse. Caveat 1: I am NOT suggesting any of this was what happened; what I am trying to say is: not enough info. Even then, vacuuming tends to close up dodgy seals, so no vac loss, only to develop a tiny leak when the system is pressurized. My personal stance is: once an AC system is touched, it will never be the same again. Caveat 2: this mostly based on dinosaur burning cars with axle seals. ZOE really should be better with it's sealed compressor. Then again, her plumbing is much more complicated.

No I don't think you'd notice a 40A fuse bang.
Thank you @yoh-there - I suppose i be better not to beat myself up about it and just enjoy it when I get it back and hope the AC does not break again

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,404 Posts
So the system ran out of refrigerant and then tripped the fuse?
You defend EVs so valiantly, you should get a medal or something.

It went wrong and was undiagnosable, and remains unreparied.

A guy who is without his car for 4 weeks is not just a trivial issue to him, it is a very Big Deal. EVs and their dealers and manufacturers have to get a lot better than this.

·
Registered
16,766 Posts

A guy who is without his car for 4 weeks is not just a trivial issue to him, it is a very Big Deal. EVs and their dealers and manufacturers have to get a lot better than this.
How was that a defence of EVs or their dealers?

·
Registered
552 Posts

4wks is nothing for an ac/heat problem in a zoe, my old 22 zoe was in Renault for over 3 months of them blindly replacing parts, finally finding the right one

·
28,404 Posts
How was that a defence of EVs or their dealers?
It sounded like 'Oh it is just .. X .. you should be grateful for these amazing cars' rather than 'it may or may not be and you should anticipate they will take 3 months of them blindly replacing parts, finally finding the right one'. Welcome to the new world of EVs.

·
Registered
16,766 Posts
It sounded like 'Oh it is just .. X .. you should be grateful for these amazing cars' rather than 'it may or may not be and you should anticipate they will take 3 months of them blindly replacing parts, finally finding the right one'. Welcome to the new world of EVs.
Was that your internal voice again?

Just ignore them when they tell you to kill everyone.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,114 Posts
@cah197 hasn't had any issues ergo there are no issues and any talk of issues is fake news? Simples!

·
Registered
16,766 Posts
@cah197 hasn't had any issues ergo there are no issues and any talk of issues is fake news? Simples!
Sorry, where did I deny that there were clueless Renault service centres? :)

I realise that I'm just lucky when it comes to selling Zoes and getting work done at Dealers.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
4wks is nothing for an ac/heat problem in a zoe, my old 22 zoe was in Renault for over 3 months of them blindly replacing parts, finally finding the right one
yes but when though? - was it recently or years ago?

the so annoying thing was that a week of it was sitting in the garage where I bought it from waiting before it could go off to the Renault dealer ..... then, now i have this niggling feeling that even though they say it needed a compressor and fitted one apparently - before it went in for repair there was no gas in the system it had leaked out ... so after 'replacing the compressor' they found a leak in one of the seals then leak done ..... then this 'special fuse' but they 'borrowed one from another car' , but its nearly the right one but not the exact one and they want to order the special right one before they let it go from the garage - i got so many alarms from the whole thing and really sceptical of the whole lot .

the Zoe has been out since 2013 in UK and Ireland .. its not just a new fangled EV that has just come out and its so new that its got no parts or diagram or trained service engineers - i think after 7 years of a model coming out and something is wrong they can go straight to the problem and go "ah yes thats a common thing , the seals are leaking " - it shouldnt even take 3 weeks , let alone 3 months , not these days. - i am not a car mechanic but even I found out with the help of an OBD2 adaptor that the gas pressure was at 0.00bar and that there was a shortage between 12v and earth in the compressor circuit .. presumably why the fuse blew .. only thing I dont know is if the fuse blew because the gas had run out - even 3 weeks ago someone on here said 'they will put some dye in the system to see where the leak is coming from' - 3 weeks later they said there seems to be a leak in the system and we will run some dye in with the gas and see where the gas is leaking .. I mean why 3 weeks later why not straight away .. meanwhile i have been paying for a car i cannot drive! .. on week 4 this week its been away now and I am so hoping now it will be ready this week because my patience is running out now , i think if people would have pulled their finger out i would have got it back by now.

·
28,404 Posts
You have my advice.

Just get rid now.

If you must have a Zoe, fine, don't beat yourself up about wanting one, just go find one that actually works.

The HVAC is very integral to the Zoe, it'll just not work if that doesn't work. It HAS to be fixed and you'e got a lemon. Move on with your life. Enough is enough.

My Zoe has a fuse too. A short one. It sits in the driver's seat! ;)

·
Registered
552 Posts
yes but when though? - was it recently or years ago?

the so annoying thing was that a week of it was sitting in the garage where I bought it from waiting before it could go off to the Renault dealer ..... then, now i have this niggling feeling that even though they say it needed a compressor and fitted one apparently - before it went in for repair there was no gas in the system it had leaked out ... so after 'replacing the compressor' they found a leak in one of the seals then leak done ..... then this 'special fuse' but they 'borrowed one from another car' , but its nearly the right one but not the exact one and they want to order the special right one before they let it go from the garage - i got so many alarms from the whole thing and really sceptical of the whole lot .

the Zoe has been out since 2013 in UK and Ireland .. its not just a new fangled EV that has just come out and its so new that its got no parts or diagram or trained service engineers - i think after 7 years of a model coming out and something is wrong they can go straight to the problem and go "ah yes thats a common thing , the seals are leaking " - it shouldnt even take 3 weeks , let alone 3 months , not these days. - i am not a car mechanic but even I found out with the help of an OBD2 adaptor that the gas pressure was at 0.00bar and that there was a shortage between 12v and earth in the compressor circuit .. presumably why the fuse blew .. only thing I dont know is if the fuse blew because the gas had run out - even 3 weeks ago someone on here said 'they will put some dye in the system to see where the leak is coming from' - 3 weeks later they said there seems to be a leak in the system and we will run some dye in with the gas and see where the gas is leaking .. I mean why 3 weeks later why not straight away .. meanwhile i have been paying for a car i cannot drive! .. on week 4 this week its been away now and I am so hoping now it will be ready this week because my patience is running out now , i think if people would have pulled their finger out i would have got it back by now.
This was last November!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You have my advice.

Just get rid now.

If you must have a Zoe, fine, don't beat yourself up about wanting one, just go find one that actually works.

The HVAC is very integral to the Zoe, it'll just not work if that doesn't work. It HAS to be fixed and you'e got a lemon. Move on with your life. Enough is enough.

My Zoe has a fuse too. A short one. It sits in the driver's seat! ;)
i am past my 30 days now - I will just have to stick with it I guess and keep me fingers and everything else crossed

·
28,404 Posts
I don't know the laws in Eire. In the UK, you can reject due to a fault within 6 months, the legal presumption is that such an early fault must have been there on purchase.

Just go and say this. I have proposed it a few times to folks here and they are worried about the effort, but have found as soon as they say that to the dealer, they say 'fine, no problem'. You 'might' find (I am not holding my breath on this one) the dealer is as stressed as you are in not being able to get a solution and would prefer you actually reject it.

Just go tell them what's on your mind; preferably in writing, but if by a phone call then always back up the phone call with an email saying 'we just discussed ... X ... and I expect ... Y ...'.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts