Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Madam Legurtz
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title suggests, I am trying to locate a suitable Spacesaver wheel for my 2018 BMW i3S REX. There are plenty for the i3/i3REX but seemingly none for the i3S. Surely that cannot be so?

If not specifically purposed for the i3S' 20 inch wheels, are there any that are suitable and with the correct offset that may be used?

·
Premium Member
4,270 Posts
My i3 Rex had the 20” wheels, I should think the space saver for any i3 will fit.

Does the i3s have meatier brakes? Caliper clearance might be an issue if so.

·
Madam Legurtz
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right now I don't know details of what the Offset for an i3S should be. Concerned also for the Rolling Radius as the only Spacesavers I can find so far have rims that are R17 and R18 which is likely to cause issues (at least according to my logic).

Someone on another forum wrote (in relation to fitting i3S wheels on an i3:
The i3 wheels are 155/70R19 on a 5Jx19 rim with a 43mm offset from the outside of the rim.(ET43) or
for the 20’s - 155/60R20 on a 5Jx20 rim with the same 43mm offset

The i3s wheels are 175/55/20 on a 5.5Jx20 with a 33mm offset (ET33)
The fronts are the one with very tight clearance so moving the tire out 10mm at the centre would explain how they get the 20mm wider tire on.

·
Premium Member
4,270 Posts
You don’t need to worry too much about rolling radius on a space saver wheel which is designed to get you home or to a tyre fitter.

The extra ‘poke’ on the outer rim might be for styling reasons rather than clearing any bigger calipers, the inner rim is barely any further away from the suspension strut.

Maybe a call to a BMW parts department for the specs and offset of any space saver they list for the i3s? I wouldn’t be surprised if the answer is they don’t officially have one though. Was it an option when the car was new?

·
Madam Legurtz
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Tooks - I cannot find any listing for i3S Spacesaver as original equipment. Judging by my results scouring the Internet, and I'm usually damn good at finding "stuff" I'm drawing a big fat blank on this topic.

Hoping that I am not overthinking this ... That diagram you shared is very useful. Offsets close enough to be insignificant. So what I'm taking away is that fitting an 18 inch Spacesaver for a regular i3 is going to be the closest RR to the original to the point of being irrelevant.

·
Madam Legurtz
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think that I may have the answer ...

Each kit is tailored to the listed vehicles specification. In some cases, the wheel can be a different size for example:
OE 155/70R19 vs K.O. M Space saver option 145/80R18 = 1.5% - ✔
OE 155/60R20 vs K.O. M Space saver option 145/80R18 = 0.7% + ✔
OE 175/55R20 vs K.O. M Space saver option 145/80R18 = 1.8% + ✔ (This is he i3S Front size)
As you can see, we can go from the BMW i3 OE size to a 18” option and
keeping it within 2.5% rule,

It looks like this might be the way to go.

·
Super Moderator
11,960 Posts
The s has different geometry to fit the wider tyres.

3rd party spacers exist ... I've seen packages that use the regular i3 winter wheels + spacers.

That reminds me -- BMW make a winter tyre wheel set for the i3s. That might work for a spare -- As I recall they are 19" rims with the correct offset for an i3s.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The s has different geometry to fit the wider tyres.

3rd party spacers exist ... I've seen packages that use the regular i3 winter wheels + spacers.

That reminds me -- BMW make a winter tyre wheel set for the i3s. That might work for a spare -- As I recall they are 19" rims with the correct offset for an i3s.
But would you want to mix them on the same axle? I guess the 50Mph limit would cover that...

·
Registered
15 Posts
The i3s front wheel has a 33 offset with 175/55/20 (5.5j wide) and the rear is 39 offset with 195/50/20 (6j wide). So hopefully no-one will ever get the front and backs mixed up by looking at the tyre size. However, if you ever get all four tyres change, you might want to check the the front wheel (33 offset) didn't get fitted with a 195 wide tyre. This would mean the the whole wheel & tyre is 6mm closer to the front suspension (the rear wheel fitted with 175....may look stretched!). No rubbing but handling may feel odd.

I have run a set of i3s original wheels (33s at front & 39s at rear) fitted al round with 195/55/20 winter tyres and they do not rub, not even at the front (the front wheel/ tyre set up being 10mm closer to the suspension, outer wheel arch and top of wheel arch)

No idea if there is a space saver wheel out there for i3s but I would get hold of a rear i3s wheel with the correct tyre and if ever you have use it on the front, it will be 16mm closer to the suspension, 4mm closer to outer wheel arch, 10mm closer to top of wheel arch. To counter act this you could use a 6mm spacer and you may need longer wheel bolts. It may not even rub. Vice versa, if you had a front i3s spare wheel and put it on the back, it will fit no problems but handling will be issue and probably be very bad for the drive shafts.

People have put standard i3 19s with the 43 offset (5j wide) and then 15mm thick spacers to give the correct i3s winter wheel 27 offset (using 155/70/19). The reason why I went to 195/55/20 was that I wanted same or more tyre contact in the winter, if we ever had heavy snow I'll use my 4 x4 instead with winter tyres. I'm believer:sleep: in winter tyres, in cold weather 7c temps. Plus I'm using standard wheel bolts rather than longer ones and even the premium 195/55/20 tyres are less than £100 each.

I did purchased 12mm spacers (H&Rs) as I had already chanced it, by buying set of i3s alloys and the winters tyres. If they rubbed, then 12mm spaces would help. But didn't require them, why 12mm? only as AC Schnitzer have this size as a mod. I also have the longer wheel bolts and locking wheel bolts, all boxed and unused.............

I am contemplating putting 195/55/20 on the rears as these are so much cheaper than 195/50/20 but hesitant as front would stay the factory size. I would have no problems putting 195/55/20 summers all round.

Would have lost range because of the winter/ colder months but of course the down side of the bigger tyres is less range but acceptable to me, where and how I drive.

OP, hope this helps with your thoughts. I've not had a flat tyre for a while but currently do have two nails in the same rear tyre.:(:mad:. Plus my boot is full of site gear and no where to put all that wheel weight.

·
Madam Legurtz
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The i3s front wheel has a 33 offset with 175/55/20 (5.5j wide) and the rear is 39 offset with 195/50/20 (6j wide). So hopefully no-one will ever get the front and backs mixed up by looking at the tyre size. However, if you ever get all four tyres change, you might want to check the the front wheel (33 offset) didn't get fitted with a 195 wide tyre. This would mean the the whole wheel & tyre is 6mm closer to the front suspension (the rear wheel fitted with 175....may look stretched!). No rubbing but handling may feel odd.

I have run a set of i3s original wheels (33s at front & 39s at rear) fitted al round with 195/55/20 winter tyres and they do not rub, not even at the front (the front wheel/ tyre set up being 10mm closer to the suspension, outer wheel arch and top of wheel arch)

No ideal if there is a space saver wheel out there for i3s but I would get hold of a rear i3s wheel with the correct tyre and if ever you have use it on the front, it will be 16mm closer to the suspension, 4mm closer to outer wheel arch, 10mm closer to top of wheel arch. To counter act this you could use a 6mm spacer and you may need longer wheel bolts. It may not even rub. Vice versa, if you had a front i3s spare wheel and put it on the back, it will fit no problems but handling will be issue and probably be very bad for the drive shafts.

People have put standard i3 19s with the 43 offset (5j wide) and then 15 thick spacers to give the correct i3s winter wheel 27 offset (using 175/70/19). The reason why I went to 195/55/20 was that I wanted same or more tyre contact in the winter, if we ever had heavy snow I'll use my 4 x4 instead with winter tyres. I'm believer:sleep: in winter tyres, in cold weather 7c temps. Plus I'm using standard wheel bolts rather than longer ones and even the premium 195/55/20 tyres are less than £100 each.

I did purchased 12mm spacers (H&Rs) as I had already chanced it, by buying set of i3s alloys and the winters tyres. If they rubbed, then 12mm spaces would help. But didn't require them, why 12mm? only as AC Schnitzer have this size as a mod. I also have the longer wheel bolts and locking wheel bolts, all boxed and unused.............

I am contemplating putting 195/55/20 on the rears as these are so much cheaper than 195/50/20 but hesitant as front would stay the factory size. I would have no problems putting 195/55/20 summers all round.

Would have lost range because of the winter/ colder months but of course the down side of the bigger tyres is less range but acceptable to me, where and how I drive.

OP, hope this helps with your thoughts. I've not had a flat tyre for a while but currently do have two nails in the same rear tyre.:(:mad:. Plus my boot is full of site gear and no where to put all that wheel weight.
Thank you for the comprehensive comment. That is much food for thought and it certainly does help. It suddenly doesn't seem quite so straightforward. Well, its BMW so I suppose that is to be expected somewhat. :)

I suppose fortunately for me the Tyremen kit was out of stock when we tried to order today.

What has brought me to want to do this is that I had a really dreadful experience at the hands of the AA this past weekend, where I punctured the sidewall of my front Left tyre on a cut-down concrete post in the ground. The AA Relay picked us up at 7pm and with four Relays and hours of stops between we got home at 04:15am the next day! Needless to say the AA has been cancelled now. But that has left me concerned at the prospect of no self-support for when anything like that happens again. I've got the stuff to patch up a regular puncture, but sidewalls are a total no go!

Hmm ... need to dwell on this some more. I do appreciate the inputs above.

·
Super Moderator
11,960 Posts
But would you want to mix them on the same axle? I guess the 50Mph limit would cover that...
Not me. In an emergency, I'd risk the kit hidden in the boot. Worst case I will call a flatbed. My car came with the silly concierge service. I've never tried it. I wonder if they'd call BMW roadside assist for me.

So far I've had one puncture. It was a slow leak. Got it patched for £10 at local independant. Mostly they do farm vehicles...

Great service.

·
Registered
283 Posts
My space saver is a effectively my i3s 19 inch winter wheels. These have the correct geometry for a straight swap. Cost of one wheel with tyre and value about £360 for genuine BMW item from Lithuania :D £25 DPD delivery. I chuck one of these in the vehicle if on long journey and room allows.

Picked up mine in spring price seems to have gone up a couple of hundred now winter is approaching Wheel with winter tyre Bridgestone Blizzak LM500 0 155/70R19 88Q XL - 36112455050 | BMW spare parts

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have a tyre repair plug kit . Plug the hole use the compressor cut the excess off you go.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts