Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a 'newbie' here (Hyundai Ioniq SE Electric 28kw) I am about to go on a two week holiday (FCO permitting...) and I have seen threads dealing with leaving the Ioniq with some 50% charge (at least) to help ensure that the battery doesn't ('zombie') discharge. My previous ICE vehicle needed to have the alarm system dis-engaged so that it wasn't powered up during the two week period. My question is: is this an issue with EV's (specifically Hyundai) and if so, what needs to be done? I don't recall seeing anything in the manual about being able to dis-engage the alarm system. Any thoughts or help on the matter gratefully appreciated!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As a 'newbie' here (Hyundai Ioniq SE Electric 28kw) I am about to go on a two week holiday (FCO permitting...) and I have seen threads dealing with leaving the Ioniq with some 50% charge (at least) to help ensure that the battery doesn't ('zombie') discharge. My previous ICE vehicle needed to have the alarm system dis-engaged so that it wasn't powered up during the two week period. My question is: is this an issue with EV's (specifically Hyundai) and if so, what needs to be done? I don't recall seeing anything in the manual about being able to dis-engage the alarm system. Any thoughts or help on the matter gratefully appreciated!
Ouch! I was hoping that someone might be able to advise on this. As I understand it, the HV is tasked with keeping the 12 volt charged up, so I assume that a small portion of the HV battery will do this as necessary (automatically?) over the two week period the Ioniq will not be driven. I've gathered from another thread on Speak EV (on charging a stored EV) that one shouldn't need a trickle charger on such a short store, but ensure that the battery has at least a 50% SOC. I will trust that my assessment is somewhat reasonable. The worst case scenario will be that I do have a 'dead' battery at the airport. Watch this space...

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,104 Posts
Just leave your car with around 50% or so as you said, park up and enjoy your vacation.

Your main high voltage battery may lose 1 or maybe 2% over those 2 weeks, but your car should be quite happy on your return with no problems driving off straight away. If your 12v battery is healthy it should start as normal.

I'm not as familiar with the Ioniq as some other EVs so don't know what that specific model does in terms of keeping the 12v battery charged, but even if no 12v maintenance charging takes place in those 2 weeks it should still manage even with the alarm activated as normal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just leave your car with around 50% or so as you said, park up and enjoy your vacation.

Your main high voltage battery may lose 1 or maybe 2% over those 2 weeks, but your car should be quite happy on your return with no problems driving off straight away. If your 12v battery is healthy it should start as normal.

I'm not as familiar with the Ioniq as some other EVs so don't know what that specific model does in terms of keeping the 12v battery charged, but even if no 12v maintenance charging takes place in those 2 weeks it should still manage even with the alarm activated as normal.
Thanks for that 80698! I can sleep soundly now safe in the knowledge that I am beginning to get a handle on this 'transition period' adjusting, understanding & comprehending the EV experience! I'll let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that 80698! I can sleep soundly now safe in the knowledge that I am beginning to get a handle on this 'transition period' adjusting, understanding & comprehending the EV experience! I'll let you know how I get on.

Had a great holiday and didn't worry (too much!) about confronting a 'dead' Ioniq at the airport upon return. In the event, I jotted down the HV battery's SOC (51%), the range (70 miles) remaining, and overall mileage. After returning, the car ticked over nicely as hoped for. I was amazed to find the HV still held 51% SOC (!!!). The Range, however, had dropped to 68 - am I right in 'assuming' this might be due to the much lower temperature than when I left two weeks ago?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts