Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious if there is a cable that fits into the large DC port on the car and the other end slots into the AC port of Rapids. Is that even possible, via some sort of transformer somewhere along the cable length, which I guess would technically make it two cables. Anything like this available on the market?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I found one but it's very expensive! Portable Three-Phase 22kW to Rapid DC Charger

It's the sort of thing I would expect the DIY community to make affordable. Electronically it's not complicated, chademo is well documented and there are a number of ac-dc transformers that are reasonably priced. I might have to look more seriously into it!

·
9,719 Posts
I think it will be harder to do CHAdeMO than CCS because GFI requirement - I don't suspect these type of things will ever be cost effective, after losses its only going to be useful for todays size batteries.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I found one but it's very expensive! Portable Three-Phase 22kW to Rapid DC Charger

It's the sort of thing I would expect the DIY community to make affordable. Electronically it's not complicated, chademo is well documented and there are a number of ac-dc transformers that are reasonably priced. I might have to look more seriously into it!
15K euro? That's 50% more than ABB asks for a 20kW DC charger... The large fridge sized unit. Then again this is more portable :confused:

·
Registered
141 Posts
True but the second post shows the parts to make a 24kW type 2 to chademo converter for aprox £3k. How much does the 6.6kw charger cost? :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts