Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Is there a way to set the Zoe to start charging in the off peak period during the night, without using the app?

We can’t seem to get the app working and want to be able to start charging on the home port when the electricity is cheaper during the night, on the occasions when we need to charge at home.
Thanks
Duncan

·
Play by the king and love is all I bring
1,691 Posts
If using a granny, use a Wi-fi plug and enjoy remote control from your phone.. or even, "Alexa, turn on my car charger"...

But alas, you're probably talking about a home 16A or 32A charging point, so my comment is pointless.

Unless you can install this via a solid state relay...?

·
1,691 Posts
Will the car even allow the charge session to initiate if it is locked and "asleep" using these methods?
I believe @yoh-there also charges his Zoe using a separate timer, rather than the Zoe's inbuilt charging timer. So I would say, "yes". I haven't personally tried it though.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
There's an inbuilt charge timer in the car. I found it earlier. It's in the electric car submenu I think. Does that not work without using the app as well then?

Good to know about using an EVSE and a remote socket though @Kotek Besar as that's my cunning plan for easy garage charging :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Is there a way to set the Zoe to start charging in the off peak period during the night, without using the app?
Assuming the car has some connection to Renault's servers, you should be able to set either a "charge after this time" or a full charge schedule from the R-Link screen (somewhere like "vehicle" -> "electrical vehicle" -> "Charge scheduler").

If the problem is with your Renault occasionally Connected Services account you'll probably find those options disabled in the car.

@yoh-there will tell you that trying to control the charge schedule from the car is the wrong thing to do (though that is the configuration Renault have opted for with the Zoe) ;) - however, if you try the granny-lead-and-mechanical-timer approach you'll probably find the car goes into "deep sleep" and won't start charging even when the EVSE switches on; you need some circuitry to stop the car deep-sleeping in that scenario.

·
Registered
358 Posts
There's an inbuilt charge timer in the car. I found it earlier. It's in the electric car submenu I think. Does that not work without using the app as well then?
Yes, it works without using the app. I use it all the time. The only issue is that you have to set it (through the menu entry you found) each time. A bit of a faff but doesn't take long compared to plugging in the cable.

Also, be aware that it always works on winter time, so is an hour out during BST. (Apparently because economy 7 timers don't switch to summer time either, so you don't have to change the time on the car either. Rumour only.)

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Schedule the charge from in the car on the dash - easy as pie

You have to set it each time though (but it remembers the time you programme it for)

Mine is set at 1am and I just plug in then initiate it

JJ

·
Banned
2,147 Posts
I charge my car for 4 hours a night using the timer in the menu.. I don't use the ZE services app.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,273 Posts
I see that I am kind of a celebrity on this subject here. :cool:

@yoh-there will tell you that trying to control the charge schedule from the car is the wrong thing to do (though that is the configuration Renault have opted for with the Zoe)
And then to think I am being accused of being a fanboy by a Tesla fanboy on here. How dare I!!

Ok ok, seriously.
1. yes of course Renault did. They have no control over the chargepoint, so what can they do? Oh right, make all chargepoints sold to owners Renault only and control them :ROFLMAO:. It's the best solution. No really, it's true, the best.

2. Hooking up a granny to a timed mains switch will not work. ZOE will fall asleep and not wake up. Tesla's won't have that problem, but they are superhuman-engineered.

3. If you don't want to or can't use the car's timer (count me in!), you need a chargepoint adhereing to the protocol that supports exactly that. My old Keba did that. It had a connection for ie a key lock that told the car the equivalent of "I'm here, but not ready to give you something". That rightfully keeps her awake (caveat: fanboyism!!!!!).

My reasoning for 3 is you can do things like throttle back / switch off when the oven or the dryer comes on, and it will never bite you on a public charger.

·
Registered
436 Posts
ZOE will fall asleep and not wake up. Tesla's won't have that problem, but they are superhuman-engineered.
When we first got our Zoe they installed the wrong breaker for the charger so it would trip after a while. I would reset the breaker and it would work again.

Several times the breaker would trip in the evening but I wouldn't reset it until the morning, hours later, but it would start charging again without problem. How did it do this?

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,273 Posts
I wouldn't know, maybe the R90 is different. I tested this many times, and it absolutely does not work this way on the Q210 and I am fairly sure the same goes for the R240. Maybe I should I try again, cause of course I haven't made it my habit to re-check after a dealer visit and possible firmware update.

Thanks for the challenge, appreciated. I will try again with my granny soon.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Ditto ^^^^ above. The example shown earlier has a max draw of 7amp so wouldn’t want it inline charging an EV. Using it as a relay supply may work but another load of work to install.

·
1,691 Posts
I wouldn't know, maybe the R90 is different. I tested this many times, and it absolutely does not work this wat on the Q210 and I am fairly sure the same goes for the R240. Maybe I should I try again, cause of course I haven't made it my habit to re-check after a dealer visit and possible firmware update.

Thanks for the challenge, appreciated. I will try again with my granny soon.
I will test on black Zoe, too (Q210)...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Using the cars 'internal' timer still relies on a Renault connected services subscription unfortunately. Very sneaky in my opinion to get customers to pay an annual fee for the convenience of charging their car overnight - and removing the financial benefit of doing so!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts