Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,277 Posts
Thanks for the challenge, appreciated. I will try again with my granny soon.
@Phil Himsworth Tried and it looks like it does work indeed. Fairly sure that must have been included in one of the firmware updates because as said, tried that more than once. Thanks again for pointing that out. My earlier advice is invalid now and I rather just give the ones that are correct ;)

@Kotek Besar fingers crossed!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Using the cars 'internal' timer still relies on a Renault connected services subscription unfortunately. Very sneaky in my opinion to get customers to pay an annual fee for the convenience of charging their car overnight - and removing the financial benefit of doing so!
Oh it doesn’t just use the cars internal clock?

JJ

·
Registered
215 Posts
Relying on connected services just for a charge timer is silly. What if someone has to park in an underground car park or a terrible signal area?
AFAICT the car only needs to be in a signal area when the schedule is created, not at the point the charging window becomes active. I'm also not convinced things are working properly on my car - I've a thread somewhere around here discussing it. I need to manually re-send the schedule to the car before I plug in for it to take effect.

(Edit: You're quite right though, it's far from an ideal system design.)

·
Play by the king and love is all I bring
1,692 Posts
@Phil Himsworth Tried and it looks like it does work indeed. Fairly sure that must have been included in one of the firmware updates because as said, tried that more than once. Thanks again for pointing that out. My earlier advice is invalid now and I rather just give the ones that are correct ;)

@Kotek Besar fingers crossed!
At 18:30 I arrived home from work. I plugged in my Renault granny to black Zoe, plugged the other end in to a fully unwound heavy duty extension lead and plugged that in to a Wi-fi plug (10A, btw). I set it to come on at 22:00.

That gives 3.5 hours for black Zoe to fully sleep. She’ll be in a deep sleep by then, bless her.

I’ll let you know. Gosh this is exciting!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Are we talking charge planner (calendar) or the “start at” function?

JJ
I get the feeling that people generally refer to the "planner" on this forum. I would bet that the "start at" function doesn't require any connected services. I have no way of testing though. What we need is somebody with no connected services to test it out for us...

·
1,692 Posts
At 18:30 I arrived home from work. I plugged in my Renault granny to black Zoe, plugged the other end in to a fully unwound heavy duty extension lead and plugged that in to a Wi-fi plug (10A, btw). I set it to come on at 22:00.

That gives 3.5 hours for black Zoe to fully sleep. She’ll be in a deep sleep by then, bless her.

I’ll let you know. Gosh this is exciting!
She did it! Black Zoe awoke from her deep slumber and commenced granny charging at 22:00, as instructed by the Wi-if plug.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
I get the feeling that people generally refer to the "planner" on this forum. I would bet that the "start at" function doesn't require any connected services. I have no way of testing though. What we need is somebody with no connected services to test it out for us...
I don't think mine are set up. Unless the dealer did it.

Is there an easy way to tell without accidentally enabling them?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I would bet that the "start at" function doesn't require any connected services.
I remember reading somewhere that that's not the case - for some reason, you need CS for both - but I couldn't cite you the source for it.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
If the Zoe can cope with a power cut and resume charging then the switched Granny should work even if the car has fallen asleep.

If the wifi plug works then would an old fashioned mechanical timer plug work just as well I wonder?

·
1,692 Posts
If the wifi plug works then would an old fashioned mechanical timer plug work just as well I wonder?
Should do, but as the granny draws 9A you'd want the timer plug to support at least that. The Wi-fi timer plug I used supports 10A.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I don't think mine are set up. Unless the dealer did it.

Is there an easy way to tell without accidentally enabling them?
I don't know to be honest. I seem to remember that my car did not display a warning about sharing data each time I turned it on.

Before enabling the online stuff, it used to say something like "I acknowledge that I will pay attention to the road and not use R-Link while driving" or something along those lines.

·
Banned
2,147 Posts
If you turn it off you get no access to any services. Which would be a good way for someone to test this but otherwise not a good idea

·
Registered
436 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that that's not the case - for some reason, you need CS for both - but I couldn't cite you the source for it.
A while back Connected Services went down (I think for everybody) and I was most miffed that both the "Start At" and "Calendar" timer mechanisms were greyed out on our Zoe. I can't remember if I let it charge at peak time while grumbling mightily or went back out to plug it in later, also grumbling mightily.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Not having a fall back to use the car's own clock is really stupid. I didn't have the connected services as an option before and it sounds like it's not actually worth bothering with anyway.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts