Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is going to sound like a very wierd request but I have never been one to shy away from being called wierd ;)

I have recently discovered a new interest in making short videos and films and I was wondering if anyone had any topics that you think might make good topics for a video regarding the Vauxhall Ampera?

I have a few ideas but I wanted to see if there was anything that people wanted before I did the things that I wanted to do.

I am very much a beginner at film making. I did one on charging the Nissan Leaf using the EVSE cable ( see below) but I now have some decent software and so I am hoping that future efforts will have much better results.

I am using a combination of a Canon EOS 500D SLR and my Samsung Galaxy Note to capture the video but I am thinking I might get a GoPro to capture in-car video too.

So, if anyone has any ideas please let me know :)

This is my first attempt...

·
Registered
9 Posts
For the Ampera/Volt I'd like to see the RPM difference when in CS mode travelling at say 60mph/100kmh. How far do you travel wile on electric and then how far you travel using the ICE. Having Torque loaded on your Galaxy Note for example. Great idea to have requests for video assistance demonstration. Thanks. (I guess this will only be possible when you have a rather long trip planned.) Although I'm looking at purchasing a Volt, the scenario and results should be the same or close to it.

Great background music by the way.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

Why are you interested in RPM differences? The RPM is regulated by the computer and is not directly related to road speed as it just generates electricity and doesn't drive the wheels. It might be a little interesting but not much use to people. Anyway, I have no way to record RPM. RPM isn't of interest to the driver so the Ampera doesn't have tacho.

The "how far" questions are easy to answer without video... on battery it is 40-50 miles and on petrol it is about 300-350 miles. Yes, my range is close to the published range... or even better! Does that help?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks Paul,

I am aware there is no tacho, thats why I was saying using the 'Torque' app on your 'Note' but you would need an adapter in the OBDII port which of course you may not have or want.

By viewing the RPM for the ICE using the app, you can see when the generator runs - to charge the battery, and then stops at ~ 22% SOC and then the car runs on battery alone until it depletes to ~18% SOC (not sure on the exact SOC readings but somewhere around there) when in CS mode. I believe the car operates this way in CS mode. It would be interesting to see how far the car travels purely on the generator and then alternately on the battery when in Charge Sustaining mode. Its also interesting regarding the run time or actual km/miles that the ICE runs as far as wear and tear/lubrication etc is concerned, as the engine actually runs less than that shown by the total number of CS miles that is calculated.

I have used this setup with my Honda Insight, but it does require an OBDII adapter ($20AU-$30AU). When the Insight runs on battery only the engine still rotates by no fuel is burned so hard to see the distance traveled on battery. The process does require an adapter however.

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, That makes sense now :)

Yes, that would be interesting to see the details. Just from driving I can see it does that kind of "charge - discharge" cycle except when going fast in which case the generator runs all the time.

I shall look at what it would take to get the connector and software but I am trying to do all this without additional cost!

I will look into it though... thanks for the suggestion. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've now had a look at his videos which are great but didn't show what I was looking for unfortunately.

Where he can drive at 130km/hr (80mph) here in Oz most of our roads are limited to 100km/hr (60mph) and at that speed I think the CS mode cycles between battery and petrol modes. At 80mph the generator operates non-stop.

Oh well looks like I will have to wait until I get my own Volt ;) What an excuse :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts