Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to make the most of using Type 2 22kw chargers where possible. However as I only have a 3.3kw charger in my leaf that will cripple the charge speed. Is there such a thing as a type 2 to Chademo adapter that would allow me to get 22kw over the Chademo connector?

Thanks.

·
9,719 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,438 Posts
Also possible to DIY for a few grand if you are very good with power electronics. Not something I recommed because of the real possibilty of catastrophic damage to the car, injury or death.

There is a kit that will do most of the CHAdeMO side. I posted links the last time this came up.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
It does exist costs about £12k, not sure any where ever made.

Portable Three-Phase 22kW to Rapid DC Charger

Mobile 22 kW
Seems like it made it into production
The mobile quick charger MDC22 from Designwerk delivers more independence
Mobile 22 kW
They also do a wall mounted 22kW and a mobile 44kW.

Old thread on this here: CCS or AC adaptor needed for Leaf Rapid charging

Someone seems to have collected all the options on this helpful page: DC Lösungen – Elektroauto Wiki | GoingElectric.de
That seems to have the Designwerks at 15800 CHF (£12k) but they have a link to the online shop.
There it is €17909 Euro + €2039 for the CHAdeMO cable. VAT included, delivery excluded.
Wheels are an extra €345!
Mobiler DC Schnelllader MDC22 von Designwerk

·
Registered
265 Posts
The 22kW type 2 chargers are not actually chargers, they're charge points - basically just a glorified power socket with communication software. The reason your 3.3 will knock it down is because it's your car that charges the battery, not the point. A rapid is an actual charger though and if it's plugged through the Chademo socket on your car then it doesn't use the car's on-board charger.

I'm pretty certain that even if you could cobble together a cable adapter to plug a 22kW into your Chademo then absolutely nothing would happen.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I am looking to make the most of using Type 2 22kw chargers where possible. However as I only have a 3.3kw charger in my leaf that will cripple the charge speed. Is there such a thing as a type 2 to Chademo adapter that would allow me to get 22kw over the Chademo connector?

Thanks.
If you could, it would be something like the size of a CHADEMO charge point. You're talking serious power handling and a step-up transformer.

AC charge points are outputting pretty standard mains voltages, sometimes at high power. CHAdeMO puts out over 400 volts of DC.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Strictly speaking a 3 phase supply is 400V AC, but in practice it's 415V in the UK and 380V on the continent. The increase comes from the 3 phases being 120 degrees apart, so if you measure a single phase to neutral in the UK you get 240V RMS,

·
Registered
2 Posts
In theory, it's a far simpler process than the other way round! AC to DC conversion just involves four diodes and a decent-sized capacitor, whereas DC to AC is a technological nightmare. Still, as has been pointed out, it's a huge amount of power plus full power control circuits for the charging, so it wouldn't be simple even then.
It's got me thinking, though...

·
Registered
2 Posts

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts