Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 5 years loyal service (including a cable swap I did myself back in February when chaning from Outlander PHEV to Mini PHEV), my ROLEC Walllpod wall charger just stopped working.

On inspection the RCD looks like this...

Can I just swap it out, or is this indicative of a wider problem ?
And should I swap like for like, or is there a better RCD I could install ?
RCD.jpg

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Replace with an equivalent Garo unit, re-prepare wire feeds and ferrule them to ensure permanent secure connection. Not had any problems since (y)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Replace with an equivalent Garo unit, re-prepare wire feeds and ferrule them to ensure permanent secure connection. Not had any problems since (y)
Thanks - looks like this one is recommended - Garo RCBO 1+N 40A char B 6kA Type A

do you know if this is a direct replacement - i.e. wiring placement the same and fits in the "window" in the housing ?

I ask as by the time I strep the supply cables and add ferrules, I dont think I'm going to have much cable play ...

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Thanks - looks like this one is recommended - Garo RCBO 1+N 40A char B 6kA Type A

do you know if this is a direct replacement - i.e. wiring placement the same and fits in the "window" in the housing ?

I ask as by the time I strep the supply cables and add ferrules, I dont think I'm going to have much cable play ...
Looks like you have enough spare cable as long as you don't go nuts but yes, it should be same fit

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Does this video still exist in the archives? I’d gladly host it seeing as EVMan packed up his balls and went home.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmm.. emailed ROLEC and replacement will be with me tomorrow - which I presume will be a C40...

not sure if I will use this (it is free after all) or buy the GARO

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does this video still exist in the archives? I’d gladly host it seeing as EVMan packed up his balls and went home.
I dont believe so I think it was a link to youtube, and the original was removed (I read through all 30 pages of the other thread)

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,101 Posts
hmm.. emailed ROLEC and replacement will be with me tomorrow - which I presume will be a C40...

not sure if I will use this (it is free after all) or buy the GARO
Buy the Garo. There have been examples of the replacement Rolec type failing as well. You could of course sell the new Rolec to recoup some of the cost ...... :devilish:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts