Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 R135 Iconic
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I’ve been driving a rented Zoe Iconic R135 Rapid Charge and I almost immediately fell in love with it, so we’re now thinking to buy one.

I’ve found (and reserved) what looks to me like a very good deal, but I don’t really know… it would be my first car purchase in the UK, and the first in a long time anyway.

The deal is for a pre-reg GT Line R135 Rapid Charge, registered 08/2020, with only 5 miles.

The cash price is £23,750 - which would be all of our savings and a chunk of our next paycheques, but perhaps worth it given it’s a £8k+ discount?

I’m aware we’d lose 9 months on the warranty, but that’s still 4 and a bit left…

The alternatives would be to keep renting the one we already have now (Onto, £389/month all inclusive… although the included 1,000 miles might not always be enough for our road trips) or get a new one from Renault with a 0% lease (but again, not sure about the included mileage).

Any advice or considerations much appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention that the R135 feels even too powerful for my driving style, so if leasing a new one I’d probably go for a slightly cheaper R110.

Rapid Charge would still be a must, though…

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Registered in August, so it could be like ours and made before lockdown and therefore very early. Do you know if it's had the preconditioning fixed? Some people struggled with getting that fixed if I recall. An early one like that might also have the creaky tailgate and leaky driver's window, worth checking for those if possible.

The price seems fair based on what we paid for our R135 GT Line, also rapid charge.

Good luck whatever you decide!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Autotrader and Renaults used car site both have low mileage GT lines with rapid charge, registered late 2020 for slightly less than £22,000. Might be worth a look?

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,528 Posts
1,000 miles might not always be enough for our road trips
Remember with ONTO you can rollover any unused miles from months where you don’t travel as far. Also you can buy up to 750 miles extra each month.
if leasing a new one I’d probably go for a slightly cheaper R110.
Leasing isn’t based on initial price but residuals. From what I’ve seen, the R135 GT Line Rapid Charge costs less monthly than the other cheaper to buy trim levels.

·
Registered
808 Posts
There is no such thing as a 0% lease. If you want to look at leasing costs, look on the cheap deals thread, and search for recent advice given by @Panda on what constitutes a cheap lease deal. Personally, with quickly changing technology in EV's on the market I would no longer lay out £20k+ on a pre-owned car. Better to play the depreciation game on leasing costs so someone else takes the hit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thank you all for your replies!

After reading all of them, I'm not that sure about the deal anymore. I might keep using Onto for another month or two while I evaluate my options... plus, my fiancée convinced me to have a look at a Corsa-e: she's taller than me and thinks that it would be more comfortable, even though all the comparisons say the contrary - we're test-driving one on Saturday, so we'll judge by ourselves. I found deals for brand-new ones for less than £23,000 so it looks like it'd be cheaper, at least. The range seems relatively similar and the fast charging would be a boon for long road trips.

If it’s too fast put it in eco mode.
I've been using it mainly in eco mode, in fact, but on motorways the extra power has actually been helpful! (Plus I'm getting more comfortable with it, I guess)

Registered in August, so it could be like ours and made before lockdown and therefore very early. Do you know if it's had the preconditioning fixed? Some people struggled with getting that fixed if I recall. An early one like that might also have the creaky tailgate and leaky driver's window, worth checking for those if possible.
Huh, that's quite a list of possible issues 😅 I could only ask the dealership about them, since unfortunately I wouldn't be able to go there in person (they're quite far from me but would deliver the car free of charge).

The price seems fair based on what we paid for our R135 GT Line, also rapid charge.
Good luck whatever you decide!
That's good to know, and thanks!

Autotrader and Renaults used car site both have low mileage GT lines with rapid charge, registered late 2020 for slightly less than £22,000. Might be worth a look?
Thanks, I did search on both sites just now, but couldn't find any Rapid Charge models around that price. I imagine they would get snapped up quite quickly...

Remember with ONTO you can rollover any unused miles from months where you don’t travel as far. Also you can buy up to 750 miles extra each month.
The rollover is great (we're not taking road trips all the time, of course) if I decide to keep it for longer, but even just for this first month I'll definitely need to buy at least 500, probably 750 extra miles. Unfortunately there's been a bit of a mix up where the wrong car was shown in the app for me for the first few days - good thing they also gave me a key, I suppose! - so I'm now waiting for them to figure out how many miles to charge me 😅 (which I'd like to know to decide which package to buy, given I can only choose one!)

Leasing isn’t based on initial price but residuals. From what I’ve seen, the R135 GT Line Rapid Charge costs less monthly than the other cheaper to buy trim levels.
That's good to hear, because I actually would want that trim/engine after all.

There is no such thing as a 0% lease.
Sorry, I was actually referring to the 0% APR financing for PCP and hire purchase that Renault is offering at the moment. It even includes an extra £500 for cars ordered before the end of May.

I've probably misused the term "leasing" - as I mentioned, I'm not extremely familiar with the British/modern ways of having a car :)

If you want to look at leasing costs, look on the cheap deals thread, and search for recent advice given by @Panda on what constitutes a cheap lease deal.
Found it, interesting read indeed, thanks!
I will surely need to look at a lot of numbers...

Personally, with quickly changing technology in EV's on the market I would no longer lay out £20k+ on a pre-owned car. Better to play the depreciation game on leasing costs so someone else takes the hit.
That's definitely a great piece of advice - I was already aware of the depreciation being a bigger problem for EVs than it is for ICEs, but now I'll definitely keep it in mind. In a couple of years we might want to get a new/bigger one (e.g. if Volkswagen finally make up their mind on the vegan leather for the ID.3), so not having to worry about selling our first one would be brilliant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts