Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
That's a good question. It's sort of a luxury to have one available all the time. I considered just going with a car club. But it's a huge faff. Co-Wheels have 10 Zoes in Bristol, but the nearest is 30 mins walk, and at 拢6.50 an hour, if I go over to North Bristol to see my parents for a few hours, suddenly it's cost me 拢25 to have a cup of tea with them. When I added up the hours I use the car for typically the car club would cost as much as a lease.
No car clubs in my area unfortunately ... there are 5 of us as a family - and we walk loads and only use the car when there is no alternative.

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks @shikoku14

@SolarBoy who did you get that quote from? I was going to go with selectcarleasing or drive-electric, assumed they'd be the cheapest. But I'd like to get a quote from the same place as you. And why did it go up, do you think?
Was Select.

Registered
I've just had one delivered from Select Car Leasing.
I was looking for ages for a good deal to come up.
I tried to get it from my local dealer but they were miles off in terms of price...I was quite surprised when the same local dealer turned up with my new car!

Registered
Looked a good price until the 12 months initial rental was mentioned!
I always look at total cost, the leasing.com sites lets you sort by total cost, so it's easy to compare. This deal is 拢8,640 over 2 years, which is a lot. I've seen leaf deals recently for around 拢6800(may not be Tekna though). Ioniqs are around a similar price (ie 拢7k) at the moment, though will be a longish wait.

Registered
Looked a good price until the 12 months initial rental was mentioned!
I always look at total cost, the leasing.com sites lets you sort by total cost, so it's easy to compare. This deal is 拢8,640 over 2 years, which is a lot. I've seen leaf deals recently for around 拢6800(may not be Tekna though). Ioniqs are around a similar price (ie 拢7k) at the moment, though will be a longish wait.
Good call, thanks. That total cost search does save some brain work. Although I noticed they don't have companies like drive-electric and selectcarleasing on there. Might be worth though finding a good deal on that site and asking drive-electric if they'll match it.

BTW, another leasing option I came across is elmodrive.com. They're planning to start leasing used ev's in the new year. Although tbh I'm a bit skeptical they'll come in much cheaper than the cheapest new evs. They could just end up leasing out loads of 22kw Zoes.

Registered
Or give the business to the firm that actually offered the best deal.
I'd rather give the business to drive-electric as they've done a lot to promote EVs. To the other leasing companies it's just another vehicle.

Registered
Have you thought about Zoe's?
Do you need to ever travel far? Or do you have an ICE for those long occasional trips?

I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
Just got approved for a Leaf Lease, would appreciate feedback on the following deal, got a few days to mull it over as was going to be a bit cheaper ... but it went up by the time the rep called me :D

24 months, White, fully maintained+tyres+breakdown, 8k miles, Nissan Leaf Teka 40kWh, 拢240 per month (+ 拢243 arrangement fee).

Many thanks!
Upfront is 12 months rental - not a problem I have it in the bank.

Yes includes VAT.

Many thanks!
So, 拢8,643 for 16k miles = 54p/mile.

I'd say that's on the expensive side of options. Depends how much you want a Leaf/EV, I guess?

You could get a petrol powered car for less than 23p/mile.

Paying 30p/mile extra to save 5~10p/mile on petrol might seem like a false economy.

Premium Member
So, 拢8,643 for 16k miles = 54p/mile.

I'd say that's on the expensive side of options. Depends how much you want a Leaf/EV, I guess?

You could get a petrol powered car for less than 23p/mile.

Paying 30p/mile extra to save 5~10p/mile on petrol might seem like a false economy.
It does seem that the days of EVs being lower cost of ownership have gone for now, especially with dealers offering fossil fuel deals due to soft demand.

A decent Ford Focus (similar size and spec to Leaf) is around 拢225 a month on PCH over 2 years, which I make around 33p a mile, so it does work out a bit cheaper even once you add petrol.

Personally I am prepared to pay a bit more for an EV as far prefer driving them. My first Ampera in 2012 was expensive per mile in depreciation, but I ran through company which helped. These days I don't have that option and happy I don't have to make a decision for a while.

Registered
That's a good question. It's sort of a luxury to have one available all the time. I considered just going with a car club. But it's a huge faff. Co-Wheels have 10 Zoes in Bristol, but the nearest is 30 mins walk, and at 拢6.50 an hour, if I go over to North Bristol to see my parents for a few hours, suddenly it's cost me 拢25 to have a cup of tea with them. When I added up the hours I use the car for typically the car club would cost as much as a lease.
Your situation is not a million miles from mine although I am retired. I do an average of 3,000 per annum. One thing that sticks in the craw is having a big lump of metal worth several thousand pounds stuck in your drive. The average car is stationery for 95% of the time. In my case the car is parked up for 98.3% of the time so I've questioned the wisdom of having a car. It's when you start to research alternatives (as you have done) that things go pear shaped. Ideally some sort of car sharing club on a localised basis would be ideal but people are wedded to having their own wheels then there's insurance etc etc.

Premium Member
They have been trying community BEVs in Wales. Good in theory but not sure how well they work in practice?

I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
One thing that sticks in the craw is having a big lump of metal worth several thousand pounds stuck in your drive.
Maybe that OVO scheme is good for you, you are probably in the minority that could actually make money out of it.

Registered
Your situation is not a million miles from mine although I am retired. I do an average of 3,000 per annum. One thing that sticks in the craw is having a big lump of metal worth several thousand pounds stuck in your drive. The average car is stationery for 95% of the time. In my case the car is parked up for 98.3% of the time so I've questioned the wisdom of having a car. It's when you start to research alternatives (as you have done) that things go pear shaped. Ideally some sort of car sharing club on a localised basis would be ideal but people are wedded to having their own wheels then there's insurance etc etc.
Hopefully in the next ten years or so there'll be more pay as you go vehicle services, where you pay for use then park it anywhere (legally) for the next person to use. ZipCar are doing this in London with E-Golfs although it's expensive because they have to fetch the car and drive it to a charge point when it's getting low. Once standard ranges of EVs increase and ev costs come down, then for low usage drivers like us they'll be even less reason to own a vehicle at all. I think Toyotas KintoShare in Hawaii is similar idea - which makes me wonder if maybe some manufacturers are thinking widespread car ownership might be on the way out.

Registered
I think the next generations of motorists will be key in this process Matt. Already most new car deals are on some sort of lease type arrangement (PCP or PCH) and they are becoming a bit like a mobile phone. There's some evidence that the younger generation are not as anxious to join the car ownership club as I was (many years ago). Step by step we may be moving to a car sharing arrangement or something along those lines.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts