Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a look at the Tesla model 3 site, and noticed that the £41500 start price includes the £3000 car grant, so really they are saying that the SR+ costs £45k (give or take £500. The same car in the USA I believe starts at $41k, which can then be reduced with grants, and tax credits etc. $41k even at the moment is around £35k - where the hell does the extra £10k get explained ??

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,578 Posts
Not sure what you're looking at, but the M3 SR+ starts at £40,490 including delivery fees (OTR).

The US price doesn't include any sales tax, which varies state to state. The UK price includes 20% VAT.

The M3 is no longer eligible for federal tax relief in the US.

The rest is in shipping and duties.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There seems to have been a sudden jump in the SR+ price!

Pretty sure that after the recent Budget, in which the plug-in car grant was reduced by £500, the SR+ price was adjusted to £39,500 to reflect the change. Looks like Tesla have now raised the price by a further £990.

Knew I should have bought one last year!

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
How I got the price was that the £41,490 includes the £3k UK grant - hence before the grant, and thus a better comparison to the USA rrp, it's £44,490. I didn't understand the USA sales tax thing, so I don't know how that plays out (how much does that add?), but it still seems a bit mean for a £35k car in the states (35k pounds at FX rate) to become £44.5k when it gets here, even if you can then, as the end user, knock the £3k grant off.

I just checked again, and as has been said, it's £40490 - but daftly, existing inventory includes second hand ones at £41490 - I must have remembered that price !!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
How I got the price was that the £41,490 includes the £3k UK grant - hence before the grant, and thus a better comparison to the USA rrp, it's £44,490. I didn't understand the USA sales tax thing, so I don't know how that plays out (how much does that add?), but it still seems a bit mean for a £35k car in the states (35k pounds at FX rate) to become £44.5k when it gets here, even if you can then, as the end user, knock the £3k grant off.

I just checked again, and as has been said, it's £40490 - but daftly, existing inventory includes second hand ones at £41490 - I must have remembered that price !!
Add 20% to the US price to allow for VAT

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
There seems to have been a sudden jump in the SR+ price!

Pretty sure that after the recent Budget, in which the plug-in car grant was reduced by £500, the SR+ price was adjusted to £39,500 to reflect the change. Looks like Tesla have now raised the price by a further £990.

Knew I should have bought one last year!
I think it was the LR that was trimmed to get under the 50k threshold for the grant, The old 40k threshold for VED and luxury car tax has gone now.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Isn't there also 10% import duty added to the UK price because the car is manufactured outside the EU?

Purchase price of SR+ with no additional extras in Delaware (no sales tax) is $39,990 + $1200 destination & doc = $41190

Purchase price of SR+ with no additional extras in UK is £40,490 (including destination & doc fee + VAT). If you remove the grant it is £43,490

US price of $41190 plus 30% for duty and VAT would be $53549. Convert that to GBP on today's FX rate and you get £43,640.59

So unless I misinterpreted the destination and doc fee (it isn't clear if that is built into the price or not in the US) then it looks like we are broadly similar pricing and the only thing that is gouging us is duty and tax.

I am not entirely sure I would want to be living in the US right now, with healthcare strongly linked to employment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts