Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Google translate of the blurb that goes with this video...
It's in german, but the english subtitles work just fine....

Charging with the VW ID3 on the Tesla Supercharger? It does not work? Sure it's possible! In this video we show you how VW ID3, Porsche Taycan, Kia eNiro & Opel Ampera-E charge on a Tesla Supercharger V3. How it works, what's behind it and what happens next, you can find out in the video.

And on the day the first VW ID.3s are delivered to customers, other electric cars can also be charged on the Supercharger. We have loaded VW ID.3, Porsche Taycan, Hyundai Kona and Opel Ampera-E for you in this video and found out a lot.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh, OK, so it was just click bait video. I fell for it.
Dont watch it was a long video for nothing...

·
Premium Member
11,174 Posts
Also it was only on the new V3 Superchargers of which there aren't a lot yet. Many believe Tesla did it "accidentally on purpose" to highlight the benefits of their charging network.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I thought this was EU rules where new public EV chargers had to offer access to any EV model/driver. So Tesla made a few chargers at their SuC sites work for anyone with CCS.

·
Premium Member
11,174 Posts
I thought this was EU rules where new public EV chargers had to offer access to any EV model/driver. So Tesla made a few chargers at their SuC sites work for anyone with CCS.
No, the V3 Superchargers briefly didn't enforce authentication - it is now fixed and only Tesla CCS cars can use them. There is no way for a driver of another car brand to pay and Tesla aren't going to give free electricity to others and charge Tesla drivers!

There is fake news out there! The EU DIRECTIVE 2014/94/EU is implemented (and interpretated) differently by countries and in most (all?) a single-vendor network does not have to provide "public" access. If a country requires public access, Tesla will partner with another network to colocate public access points.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Also it was only on the new V3 Superchargers of which there aren't a lot yet. Many believe Tesla did it "accidentally on purpose" to highlight the benefits of their charging network.
And happened purely by coincidence while Musk was meeting Diess...;)

·
Registered
17,355 Posts
Because Tesla employees could never make genuine mistakes, there has to be a conspiracy behind it. :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Everything is good, but how you will explain the signs, that say, In time of charging electric cars can park for Free?
At around 5:08, at 5:36 , two signs Parking forbidden with arrow, showing at the two stall between them?

Did the bug come out and installed this signs? Signs are very specific and they don't install by itself. Or Tesla employees decided to make very specific signs and to put them there? See the video. Also not all stalls have this capability to charge other EV, they try with Zoe at another SC , and only one stall charged the Zoe. If it was mistake, all the stalls should have charged other EV.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Everything is good, but how you will explain the signs, that say, In time of charging electric cars can park for Free?
At around 5:08, at 5:36 , two signs Parking forbidden with arrow, showing at the two stall between them?

Did the bug come out and installed this signs? Signs are very specific and they don't install by itself. Or Tesla employees decided to make very specific signs and to put them there? See the video. Also not all stalls have this capability to charge other EV, they try with Zoe at another SC , and only one stall charged the Zoe. If it was mistake, all the stalls should have charged other EV.
Good find. Tesla are the best, they dont know how to make mistakes ;)
I wonder if there are any in the UK.

·
Premium Member
11,174 Posts
No idea what those signs actually say, perhaps free parking when charging?

Anyway, the basis of the whole article is wrong. For example, the EU don't make laws, they require the member countries to implement directives which usually requires local legislation.

Anyway, the bug is now fixed and it was such a basic error, fixed very quickly, so I can see why some feel it wasn't totally accidental.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Do we know what Tesla agree to get permission to build Berlin factory? Time will tell, was it a bug or there is deeper meaning. The guy in video says exactly what sign means and it is not so hard to translate it.

·
Premium Member
11,174 Posts
Do we know what Tesla agree to get permission to build Berlin factory?.
That is very much the wrong way round - what did Germany offer Tesla! A lot of countries were courting Tesla for the factory because they wanted the jobs and investment.

"More than ten European countries had campaigned to have the factory located within their jurisdictions"

Source - Giga Berlin - Wikipedia

Reactions: AndyG and cah197

·
Registered
99 Posts
And Tesla wanted Germany, and that location. As I said , will see. Maybe for countries outside of EU, this will not be a problem.

·
Premium Member
11,174 Posts
And Tesla wanted Germany, and that location. As I said , will see. Maybe for countries outside of EU, this will not be a problem.
Tesla just wanted a good deal, there is zero proof they were particularly bothered about it being Germany or anywhere specific in that country.

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
99 Posts
Greens and local villagers were against cutting the forest there, it was big problem. A lot of protests. If Tesla have many options they could go somewhere else. What other locations were seriously considered? I don't know about any other location. From the beginning I know only about Berlin.

·
Registered
17,355 Posts
Greens and local villagers were against cutting the forest there, it was big problem. A lot of protests. If Tesla have many options they could go somewhere else. What other locations were seriously considered? I don't know about any other location. From the beginning I know only about Berlin.
The UK was considered, but ruled out because of you-know-what.

For every tree they cut down for the factory, Tesla planted at least three more.

The protestors are idiots.

·
Premium Member
11,174 Posts
That forest was planted to make cardboard and designed to be easily chopped down, it wasn't some ancient, important forest. There was so much fake news with idiots jumping on a bogus "green environment" bandwagon.

Also back in 2019 "Tesla has reportedly been looking at several specific sites across several German states" — reports are they originally wanted to be nearer the Benelux border.

Source Tesla is in 'final stages' of selecting site for European Gigafactory - Electrek

Reactions: cah197
1 - 20 of 26 Posts