Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 496 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I lease a Leaf as our local runaround car. Car goes back to Nissan end of March next year. So I'm starting to think about alternatives.

Getting a new 40 kwh Leaf is an option, but I don't think the current lease costs are currently competitive. So my options I thought were to buy an ex-demo 40 wkh Leaf car for around £25k. Or I was thinking of looking to try and find a 6 month old i3s maybe for £27k.

But I saw this deal today on the i-pace. It is only an 18 month lease but that suits me fine. Mileage is also too low, so I've asked for a quote with a higher allowance. The deal is on a 9+17 basis for £283 / month based on 5000 miles per annum for the base 'S' model.

https://www.fleetprices.co.uk/personal-lease-cars/jaguar/i-pace-4x4/i-pace-suv-00-electric-90kwh-400-s-5dr-auto-362126663

So it's only the base model but at this price, the cost would probably be about same amount of depreciation as the i3s, for a car which has a much bigger battery and much higher performance. I was planning to take it without options, as Jaguar are just dividing the full price of the option over the 18 month lease term and so are not good value for money. Delivery time is estimated currently as the end of Feb.

It sounds strange to replace a Leaf with an I-Pace, but the deal sounds quite good - interested to hear views. Do you think the base 'S' model is ok spec wise? And do you think this lease deal is competitive?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I agree the 5000 miles price is unrealistic. I believe the extra mileage might cost around £0.40 / mile. Judged on its own that sounds expensive, but if you offset it against the cheap initial price it probably means that rather than an averaged cost of around £400 / month (5000 miles), the cost would be circa £500 / month (8000 miles).

So not a cheap car per se, but at that price it seems much cheaper than the depreciation on any new Tesla over 18 months.

So, is this a great i-pace deal, or just an ok one? And do you think the 'S' model is ok to live with spec wise?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick update for anyone who is interested. I've decided I think it is a good deal so I've asked to submitted my finance application.

The mileage situation is interesting. I asked for some quotes with an increased mileage allowance. The extra cost worked out at around £0.40 / mile.

However, the excess mileage charge on the base deal is £0.29 / mile. The broker has checked and there are no limits or restrictions on this price. So it appears anyone interested in this deal should just order the base deal, and then just be prepared to pay whatever the excess mileage fee works out to based on how many miles they go over 7,500.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Quick update for anyone who is interested. I've decided I think it is a good deal so I've asked to submitted my finance application.

The mileage situation is interesting. I asked for some quotes with an increased mileage allowance. The extra cost worked out at around £0.40 / mile.

However, the excess mileage charge on the base deal is £0.29 / mile. The broker has checked and there are no limits or restrictions on this price. So it appears anyone interested in this deal should just order the base deal, and then just be prepared to pay whatever the excess mileage fee works out to based on how many miles they go over 7,500.
Very interesting.

So for high mileage (15000 a year), that's around £770 a month, or £9150 a year. Our mileage is why we bought our leaf outright... Feel better about that decision seeing these figures!

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Really good deal when you then compare to Leaf monthlies. Admittedly the Leaf deals are all at 10K miles.
But factor in £120 a month for the extra miles on the base deal still looks mighty tempting.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very interesting.

So for high mileage (15000 a year), that's around £770 a month, or £9150 a year. Our mileage is why we bought our leaf outright... Feel better about that decision seeing these figures!
I think the excess mileage rate at £0.29/mile is still fairly punitive. On this particular deal, the base price is a bit of a loss leader, so a bit of excess mileage charge is ok (I'm thinking for example of using it for around 8,000 miles per year).

But once you start to go to higher mileages, as in your case 15,000 miles per year, lease deals rarely ever make sense. It is generally always better to own the car yourself.

However, if you did purchase a new I-pace and managed to get a small discount (I think I saw somewhere dealers were offering £1000 discount). So you would be paying something around £64,000 for the car.

Using your figures, the lease cost would be circa £13,750 for 18 months. I wonder if a second hand, base spec, 18 month old i-pace with 22,500 miles would actually still be worth just over £50,000. I suspect that might be a struggle. Either way, I suspect high mileage usage on a car at this price point is going to be expensive which ever financing method is used.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Really good deal when you then compare to Leaf monthlies. Admittedly the Leaf deals are all at 10K miles.
But factor in £120 a month for the extra miles on the base deal still looks mighty tempting.
I agree - the other factor for me personally, I am starting to get a bit bored by my Leaf. I'm on my second, the first being a 24kwh and the second a 30kwh version. It's still a very good car, but after coming up to 4 years, something different is attractive.

I recently went for a test drive in Model X 100D and that was super. But at a purchase price around £100k, and a first year depreciation figure of around £20,000, it was hard to justify to myself. Hence why this I-pace deal was interesting.

·
Banned
4,591 Posts
I agree - the other factor for me personally, I am starting to get a bit bored by my Leaf. I'm on my second, the first being a 24kwh and the second a 30kwh version. It's still a very good car, but after coming up to 4 years, something different is attractive.

I recently went for a test drive in Model X 100D and that was super. But at a purchase price around £100k, and a first year depreciation figure of around £20,000, it was hard to justify to myself. Hence why this I-pace deal was interesting.
If your worried about depreciation I think a £60k Jag should be the last car on your list!!

Personally if I didnt need the space of the X I would be looking at the Kona/Neo. Half the price of the iPace/Tesla, 50% more real life range. Hyundai/Kia are building the best EVs money can buy right now, interms of drivetrain tech I recon they are even ahead of Tesla.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If your worried about depreciation I think a £60k Jag should be the last car on your list!!
I'm not "worried" about depreciation - I just like to know what I am getting into.

And the i-pace deal I've quoted is a lease, so depreciation isn't as relevant as this factor has already been taken into account in the fixed monthly costs. And whilst the i-pace isn't exactly the same as a Model X, they are similar. And this lease deal is substantially cheaper than the Tesla.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Well it isn't just brand though, its nice to be starting to get some real variety in EV's now, which we take for granted in ICEs. Take Jaguar for instance, the 2.0 litre diesel F-Pace is cheaper to run and has a better range than the F-Pace SVR, the brand is the same but the customer base entirely different. Those buying the F-Pace SVR presumably prefer ( and are prepared to pay for) the better performance and handling, ditto with the I-Pace over the Kona. Not that I'm knocking the Kona, I think it will prove much more important to the advancement of EVs than the I-Pace.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A 64kWh Kona will be substantially cheaper to run than either Tesla or iPace, AND offer much more range than wither an iPace or 75D S. But clearly brand has a big impact on buying decisions.
I agree a 64kwh kona *should* be cheaper as the power and performance specs are quite different from the i-pace.

Nevertheless, Drive Electric who tend to be fairly competitive on these things, are offering the Kona on a 4 year term, admittedly with 8000 miles, at a price that works out to just over £430 / month.

Hyundai Kona electric car lease offer from DriveElectric EV experts

So if you take the i-pace deal which equates to just over £400 / month for 5000 miles and you pay an extra £0.29/mile for the extra miles and they aren't so difference in price. And I would rather drive an i-pace for 18 months and then get the latest tech at the end of 2020 than be stuck in a Kona for another two years.

1 - 20 of 496 Posts