Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I see a lot of adverts and like this they all say 80Kw I wonder why? There is a cheap 2014 Leaf 4000 mile gen2 that's been up for sale for ages on Fords of Winsford. Been there for ages can't do the battery much good ?? It's not as cheap as your observation though.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I see a lot of adverts and like this they all say 80Kw I wonder why?
That's the motor output.
The Gen 1 battery is poor. The Gen 2 is much better. A great buy as a local run around, sadly however my wife thinks these are still too big for her.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there is also an tenkna flex for £5995 is this the sign of things to come either the original owner got shafted or they cant shift them? on another note why is the excess battery milage £7.50 per 100 miles this is a bit steep it be cheaper to use a diesel. Im on flex and in my agreement it says £0.08 per 100 miles.

Bit worried I could get a nasty bill now I'm already 6000 miles over my 7500 mile a year

Here is copy of my agreement

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there is also an tenkna flex for £5995 is this the sign of things to come either the original owner got shafted or they cant shift them? on another note why is the excess battery milage £7.50 per 100 miles this is a bit steep it be cheaper to use a diesel. Im on flex and in my agreement it says £0.08 per 100 miles.

Bit worried I could get a nasty bill now I'm already 6000 miles over my 7500 mile a year

i think you can get out of a flex agreement as it says if you fail to return the battery with in 7 days of cancellation you must pay the full insurance value of the battery which is £4500

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
That's the motor output.
The Gen 1 battery is poor. The Gen 2 is much better. A great buy as a local run around, sadly however my wife thinks these are still too big for her.
Thanks Colin I am monitoring my gen2, and thanks to your excellent advice. I have leafspy working it's dropped down to 92,%. But a trip to Bristol brought it back to 98% fully charged it at home and got 101 miles on the GOM. It is 2014 with 15k on the clock so ...fingers crossed.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
A 2011 leaf 72000 miles one bar lost Not bad for a gen1 64 miles at 100% charge.

Is this what we can expect from a gen2 or will it surpass 100k before a range of 64 miles is seen?
I think it's more the age than the mileage that's caused the degredation. From soundings from early gen2 owners, the battery seems to be degrading almost as far as the gen1 age wise.

I got 91% at 3.5 years old and now 86% at nearly 5. Give it time and the gen2's will be going the same way ;)

·
Leaf lover
3,696 Posts
A 2011 leaf 72000 miles one bar lost Not bad for a gen1 64 miles at 100% charge.

Is this what we can expect from a gen2 or will it surpass 100k before a range of 64 miles is seen?
This white car mirrors my lovely blue, 1 bar down 71k miles.
Would not hesitate to buy if needed a quick replacement.
I know there are a huge variety of cars to be had for the same money but nothing would give you that driving by magic feel that a Leaf offers.
Great for a first time ev'er or whatever we call ourselves.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I think it's more the age than the mileage that's caused the degredation. From soundings from early gen2 owners, the battery seems to be degrading almost as far as the gen1 age wise.

I got 91% at 3.5 years old and now 86% at nearly 5. Give it time and the gen2's will be going the same way ;)
I also think it's a ticking clock or like sand pouring through an hour glass caused by charging discharging rather than miles even though you can't have one without the other.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

my gen2 at 92% after 30k

·
Registered
5,581 Posts

What does clause 20 of the terms say on that subject ? You are referred to that by the sentence shown in the agreement. My excess is 8p per mile - every mile over the agreed mileage.

But mine isn't flex. The excess I quote is on the car lease. Is there a different excess just on a flex battery lease ?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Similar to me but twice the miles. So You are also doing well then and it seems the percentage and the miles are almost unrelated.
I have a feeling its degradation due to time rather than miles, or it's weighted more on the age of the pack rather than miles travelled.

Or, "Use it or loose it". as they say more cycles in the same amount of time actually prevents the pack degrading. I'm not so sure of this though.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a feeling its degradation due to time rather than miles, or it's weighted more on the age of the pack rather than miles travelled.

Or, "Use it or loose it". as they say more cycles in the same amount of time actually prevents the pack degrading. I'm not so sure of this though.
I've done a thousand miles since this reading on the 13th of may. it was on 94% at 16k and when i took a road trip at 25k including 10 rapids it jumped to 100% soh

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've done a thousand miles since this reading on the 13th of may. it was on 94% at 16k and when i took a road trip at 25k including 10 rapids it jumped to 100% soh
You could argue the degradation is slowing down 6% in first two year or 16k and 2% Since august in 15k although I know the car only did 1500 miles from the end of its first year till I bought it 7 months later So a lot of time at the dealers

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What does clause 20 of the terms say on that subject ? You are referred to that by the sentence shown in the agreement. My excess is 8p per mile - every mile over the agreed mileage.

But mine isn't flex. The excess I quote is on the car lease. Is there a different excess just on a flex battery lease ?

clause 20

my car is paid for by hp loan from bank but i dont own the battery so this is from a battery lease agreement i think the £7.50 per mile is for the access on the car and battery if bought using PCP

Never saw this or heard it mentioned when I bough my leaf
is this a pcp cars excess mileage or just the lease on the battery this pic is pulled off auto trader

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

clause 20

my car is paid for by hp loan from bank but i dont own the battery so this is from a battery lease agreement i think the £7.50 per mile is for the access on the car and battery if bought using PCP

Never saw this or heard it mentioned when I bough my leaf
is this a pcp cars excess mileage or just the lease on the battery this pic is pulled off auto trader

certainly does contradict its self. Paying for an extra 7500 mile in excess mileage is cheaper than paying the £93 per month for 12k 7500/100=75*0.08p=£6 for entire 7500 miles

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
certainly does contradict its self. Paying for an extra 7500 mile in excess mileage is cheaper than paying the £93 per month for 12k 7500/100=75*0.08p=£6 for entire 7500 miles
Yes. The contract implies that any excess charge for the rented battery is minimal. Hardly worth contracting for a higher base mileage on the battery lease in the first place with such a paltry penalty imposed.

On a PCP for the entire car, including battery, then the 8p per mile excess is not a deal breaker in any case. Contracting for 5000pa and doing 6000pa will only cost £80. It's always best to underestimate the contract mileage. If you go for, say, 10,000 miles and only drive 8500 then in effect you have paid for 1500 miles at 8p but not driven them. But contracting for 8000 miles and paying the 500 extra @ 8p is cheaper.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts